The Student Room Group

Recommend me a Laptop for Computer Science

Hello, I'd like a decent laptop, for around £500 can go higher.

I would like these specs:

Processor: i5-6200u
SSD. if possible.
Ram 8GB

Full HD, and an Ethernet port.

I will be using this for Computer Science and light gaming (SWTOR), also Adobe products.
Thanks.
Original post by HelpusPleasus
Hello, I'd like a decent laptop, for around £500 can go higher.

I would like these specs:

Processor: i5-6200u
SSD. if possible.
Ram 8GB

Full HD, and an Ethernet port.

I will be using this for Computer Science and light gaming (SWTOR), also Adobe products.
Thanks.

You don't really need the latest gen i5, the improvements have been minimal since 4th gen. I'd recommend a ThinkPad, but the dedicated graphics versions can get pretty pricey. The Lenovo U41 is great if you get the GPU version. SWTOR is fairly well optimised so it should run fine, I managed to play it on integrated graphics a while back.
Reply 2
Double posting detected:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=67340170&highlight=

I already provided a perfect answer.
I take it as a serious offense that you re-post this question while I spent an hour formulating my answer and doing research, not to mention that I have the correct expertise because I graduated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 571122
Double posting detected:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=67340170&highlight=

I already provided a perfect answer.
I take it as a serious offense that you re-post this question while I spent an hour formulating my answer and doing research, not to mention that I have the correct expertise because I graduated.

You did, and I appreciate that, it's just I don't really have any idea what I'm doing and still haven't decided on one.

I want recommendations with those specs.
Reply 4
Original post by HelpusPleasus
You did, and I appreciate that, it's just I don't really have any idea what I'm doing and still haven't decided on one.

I want recommendations with those specs.

Students actually do research.
Original post by 571122
Students actually do research.

Yes they do, and I am it's just I'm still confused and have no idea what I'm doing.
Reply 6
For computer science get the best you can get and put Linux on it
MacBook. No, I'm serious!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01H7ZLUZ4?ie=UTF8&tag=pric097-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=1634&creativeASIN=B01H7ZLUZ4&smid=

HP ProBook 440 for around 480. Has everything you need i5 6200u, 256 ssd and 1080p screen. It's integrated graphics but the intel 520 isn't bad for low settings but the advantages are that your battery life will be much longer and it will cost less.
Original post by sweeneyrod
MacBook. No, I'm serious!

A MacBook? For computer science? For around £500? Good luck.
I have a dell lattitude e7470

i5 6300u

256gb ssd

8gb ram

It's amazing using it right now
Original post by ThreeHeaded6
A MacBook? For computer science? For around £500? Good luck.

A MacBook for computer science -- definitely. Windows is awful for programming, and linux is awful for being able to print things and use WiFi without lots of extra effort. I'll admit that the requirements of a £500 budget and ability to game make things a bit harder.
A MacBook for computer science -- definitely. Windows is awful for programming, and linux is awful for being able to print things and use WiFi without lots of extra effort. I'll admit that the requirements of a £500 budget and ability to game make things a bit harder.

THIS^

Macbook is the way, UNIX is the way. Windows sucks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough, I don't do computer science, but my mates who do tell me that a ThinkPad with Linux is the way to go.
Reply 14
Original post by ThreeHeaded6
Fair enough, I don't do computer science, but my mates who do tell me that a ThinkPad with Linux is the way to go.

While freshman year's language Oberon, Java and C run on various systems including Windows and Linux, a lot of universities include mandatory programming that involves Microsoft-only territory, such as C# and .NET.

However, I'm not sure if HelpusPleasus has .NET in his academic program. If he doesn't, he should be fine with a Linux-only ThinkPad, unless there are tools that are Windows-only. I can't tell you how many Windows-only tools I've had to use during my Bachelors in Computer Science, as there were a great amount of them.

Nevertheless, a dualboot should do fine as well.
I'm going for a Lenovo Ideapad 700. Mine was around £600, and it is worth it if you can afford.
Bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending