The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE computing, URGENT HELP NEEDED

So I recently started my coursework for GCSE Computing in coding language python. The unfortunate matter of my teacher leaving with no notice has left me stranded as I am now clueless as of what to do in the CA. The coursework consists of 3 tasks and I am Embarrassed to say that I am stuck on the first task. I can vaguely remember that the task required something called compressions however I am clueless about what compressions in python even are. Anybody got any tips and hints to get me started?
I did this exact same controlled-assessment with python for the OCR exam board two years ago.

I'll give you some tips.

First of all, this CA only gives you 20 hours, which is hardly enough time unless you're some kinda psycho coding genius. Export some files out your school computer with the paper-work, task-criteria, and your code. Use your E-Mail to E-Mail it to yourself, USB, etc.

Do it at home, I didn't do this myself, because I *was* that psycho-coding-genius (I'm not anymore, forgotten most of it) and did it in class. But a lot of my peers did this, and ended up with Bs and As. Doing this will give you more time to work on your CA and figure out what the heck is going on.

Another thing. You said you're struggling? I recommend to use all your Computer Science resources, find a super-friend to help you, and/ or get a tutor. Getting a Computer Science tutor would most probably help you the most, as they will practically code it for you.

Also, another HUGE tip.

The code isn't as important as the written work. You will get more marks on your written work, so make sure you get that part done excellently.

Now, if you'll excuse me... I really should be doing my college transition work... so...

Goodbye!
Original post by Writer_Refresh
I did this exact same controlled-assessment with python for the OCR exam board two years ago.

I'll give you some tips.

First of all, this CA only gives you 20 hours, which is hardly enough time unless you're some kinda psycho coding genius. Export some files out your school computer with the paper-work, task-criteria, and your code. Use your E-Mail to E-Mail it to yourself, USB, etc.

Do it at home, I didn't do this myself, because I *was* that psycho-coding-genius (I'm not anymore, forgotten most of it) and did it in class. But a lot of my peers did this, and ended up with Bs and As. Doing this will give you more time to work on your CA and figure out what the heck is going on.

Another thing. You said you're struggling? I recommend to use all your Computer Science resources, find a super-friend to help you, and/ or get a tutor. Getting a Computer Science tutor would most probably help you the most, as they will practically code it for you.

Also, another HUGE tip.

The code isn't as important as the written work. You will get more marks on your written work, so make sure you get that part done excellently.

Now, if you'll excuse me... I really should be doing my college transition work... so...

Goodbye!

Thank you for your kind advice, yes I’m struggling to understand what compression in python is
Original post by turbanator165
Thank you for your kind advice, yes I’m struggling to understand what compression in python is

Are there any other teachers qualified, or somewhat experienced in the region of Computer Science? If so, explain your situation to them, and ask if they can help you by teaching you some python.

Also, if there are any coding clubs, python clubs, etc. Join them. They will help, trust me. Whatever you're going to set out on doing, ensure you're well versed with the basics of python coding. This is key to getting there with this CA. Also, try learning how to do some advanced ways of coding. This will impress your teacher, and give you more points in the coding area.

If you aim on getting an A, you will need a 35/45, minimum (if they haven't changed the marking regime since I last did it). A* is a 40/45, and only 1 person in my class managed that, so don't worry if you don't get that far. Just make sure your portfolio (paperwork, whatever you guys call it) is top notch. Be very detailed in your Development & Evidence as well as Testing Tables. These have the biggest mark chunks, and you can easily be caught out with them.

I hope this helps you.

If you're wondering why I'm giving so much advice to a stranger... well I can sympathise and relate to your situation. My teacher was pretty horrible and left us all like sitting ducks to our own devices. It wasn't till my tenth hour in (half-way) until I managed to get the Task 1 code right, after the third time of re-coding my entire code from scratch. I managed to get the remaining two tasks and paperwork done in the remaining ten hours, and got an A, which is pretty decent to me anyways. My coding genius skills sorta left me at the beginning because I got nervous and freaked out when my code wasn't working.

Remember, with this CA, trial and error is a key. Every time you run your code, take a screenshot of the code, and then of the running shell-screen. Discuss the results. If you had an error, find the error, and explain what it is. If you fix it, explain what the problem was and how you fixed it. Remember to constantly take screenshots of everything you do and discuss about, use arrows to point to certain bits of code.

Also, once your done, jazz up your portfolio. Make it bright and appealing to read.

Make sure you use nice, technical terms to help spice up your portfolio, and you should be set to go.

Good luck to you :smile:

-Wrefs
Are there any other teachers qualified, or somewhat experienced in the region of Computer Science? If so, explain your situation to them, and ask if they can help you by teaching you some python.

Also, if there are any coding clubs, python clubs, etc. Join them. They will help, trust me. Whatever you're going to set out on doing, ensure you're well versed with the basics of python coding. This is key to getting there with this CA. Also, try learning how to do some advanced ways of coding. This will impress your teacher, and give you more points in the coding area.

If you aim on getting an A, you will need a 35/45, minimum (if they haven't changed the marking regime since I last did it). A* is a 40/45, and only 1 person in my class managed that, so don't worry if you don't get that far. Just make sure your portfolio (paperwork, whatever you guys call it) is top notch. Be very detailed in your Development & Evidence as well as Testing Tables. These have the biggest mark chunks, and you can easily be caught out with them.

I hope this helps you.

If you're wondering why I'm giving so much advice to a stranger... well I can sympathise and relate to your situation. My teacher was pretty horrible and left us all like sitting ducks to our own devices. It wasn't till my tenth hour in (half-way) until I managed to get the Task 1 code right, after the third time of re-coding my entire code from scratch. I managed to get the remaining two tasks and paperwork done in the remaining ten hours, and got an A, which is pretty decent to me anyways. My coding genius skills sorta left me at the beginning because I got nervous and freaked out when my code wasn't working.

Remember, with this CA, trial and error is a key. Every time you run your code, take a screenshot of the code, and then of the running shell-screen. Discuss the results. If you had an error, find the error, and explain what it is. If you fix it, explain what the problem was and how you fixed it. Remember to constantly take screenshots of everything you do and discuss about, use arrows to point to certain bits of code.

Also, once your done, jazz up your portfolio. Make it bright and appealing to read.

Make sure you use nice, technical terms to help spice up your portfolio, and you should be set to go.

Good luck to you :smile:

-Wrefs

thanks for the advice, do you happen to know of any coding websites that will help me?
I'm still wondering how everyone on TSR seems to be getting timed for their OCR computing coursework... I swear we've had at least 30 hours and can still take however long we need, providing it is done by December.
Anyways, pinch bits of code from other sources and use them. For example if your task is a code on "GTIN numbers" like mine was, google "GTIN code python" and take well done or complex bits from it
Original post by The_JoKeR
I'm still wondering how everyone on TSR seems to be getting timed for their OCR computing coursework... I swear we've had at least 30 hours and can still take however long we need, providing it is done by December.
Anyways, pinch bits of code from other sources and use them. For example if your task is a code on "GTIN numbers" like mine was, google "GTIN code python" and take well done or complex bits from it

The coursework can be handed in until June but consider this - you have exam preparation and another coursework to get through too!
Original post by s4b3rt00th
The coursework can be handed in until June but consider this - you have exam preparation and another coursework to get through too!

True but we'll have plenty of time for exam prep by the end of coursework at Christmas. Out of interest when did you start computing coursework? End of year 10?
Original post by The_JoKeR
True but we'll have plenty of time for exam prep by the end of coursework at Christmas. Out of interest when did you start computing coursework? End of year 10?

I started my coursework midway-ish of year 10 - maybe even earlier than that. In fact, it probably was well earlier than that. Personally, I found the programming easy but the documentation was a nightmare. I redone the documentation around 3-4 times. Hopefully, this redo will be the last one I do this time round.
(edited 7 years ago)
I started my coursework midway-ish of year 10 - maybe even earlier than that. In fact, it probably was well earlier than that. Personally, I found the programming easy but the documentation was a nightmare. I redone the documentation around 3-4 times. Hopefully, this redo will be the last one I do this time round.

Ahh we started right at the start of year 10. Agreed, I got all the programming done in 2 lessons but the document was horrible... Took me the rest of the year to complete it, albeit I wasn't really trying
Reply 10

I'll give you some tips.

Also, another HUGE tip.

Goodbye!

Unfortunately, people still believe that you only get 20 hours for the coursework.... This isn't true. The guideline for the coursework is 20 hours yes, but your school is allowed to give you a few more hours on the coursework. As long as you're not given a ridiculous amount of time (aka 30+) then it's fine. It's also worth noting that it is highly unlikely to achieve an A grade in the coursework without having all three tasks working (however isn't impossible), so the code is pretty important.

So I recently started my coursework for GCSE Computing in coding language python. The unfortunate matter of my teacher leaving with no notice has left me stranded as I am now clueless as of what to do in the CA. The coursework consists of 3 tasks and I am Embarrassed to say that I am stuck on the first task. I can vaguely remember that the task required something called compressions however I am clueless about what compressions in python even are. Anybody got any tips and hints to get me started?

If you want help, message me and I'll lend you a hand with both the programming and the write up. I achieved an A* in both OCR GCSE Computing tasks, so I'm sure i'll be able to help you.
Original post by Aklaol
Unfortunately, people still believe that you only get 20 hours for the coursework.... This isn't true. The guideline for the coursework is 20 hours yes, but your school is allowed to give you a few more hours on the coursework. As long as you're not given a ridiculous amount of time (aka 30+) then it's fine.

This isn't true. I was given well more than thirty hours. I was told it must be handed in by June - both A452 and A453 - though my teacher won't allow you to complete it and hand it in the last minute.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
This isn't true. I was given well more than thirty hours. I was told it must be handed in by June - both A452 and A453 - though my teacher won't allow you to complete it and hand it in the last minute.

You shouldn't be given a ridiculous amount of extra time... 5-10 hours extra is fine, but 10+ isn't allowed, unless you're being provided this time collectively as a group. But for a single person to get 10+ hours extra isn't allowed, and your entire centres coursework would be disqualified if OCR found out.
Original post by Aklaol
You shouldn't be given a ridiculous amount of extra time... 5-10 hours extra is fine, but 10+ isn't allowed, unless you're being provided this time collectively as a group. But for a single person to get 10+ hours extra isn't allowed, and your entire centres coursework would be disqualified if OCR found out.

I did mean as a group. Sorry for not being clear enough.
Original post by Aklaol
Unfortunately, people still believe that you only get 20 hours for the coursework.... This isn't true. The guideline for the coursework is 20 hours yes, but your school is allowed to give you a few more hours on the coursework. As long as you're not given a ridiculous amount of time (aka 30+) then it's fine. It's also worth noting that it is highly unlikely to achieve an A grade in the coursework without having all three tasks working (however isn't impossible), so the code is pretty important.

If you want help, message me and I'll lend you a hand with both the programming and the write up. I achieved an A* in both OCR GCSE Computing tasks, so I'm sure i'll be able to help you.

hey would you be able to help explain what compressions in python, private message me
Reply 15
hey would you be able to help explain what compressions in python, private message me

Private message me with your Skype.

Quick Reply

Latest