The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frenchspanish101
That's great thank you. I think I will apply to Cambridge. I don't think there's been teaching difficulties, it was more a harsh oral examiner & the school is looking in to contacting the exam board. Even if it stays the same, is my Spanish not too much of a down side considering I want to study it or would the French help in that respect? Also even though I go to a good school would my Spanish be compared against others at my school or nationally?

Cheers & Sorry for all the questions!! :-)

Ok, thanks for the extra information. The typical offer for MML is A*AA and you look to be on track for that - you don't need an A* in both languages, just to have strong performance and be on track for an A. Don't believe all the myths that you need 90%+ in everything to apply - if you did, our typical offer level would be correspondingly higher.

We'd look at everything holistically after the interviews - if you're very convincing in the Spanish interview this would be very reassuring.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Ok, thanks for the extra information. The typical offer for MML is A*AA and you look to be on track for that - you don't need an A* in both languages, just to have strong performance and be on track for an A. Don't believe all the myths that you need 90%+ in everything to apply - if you did, our typical offer level would be correspondingly higher.

We'd look at everything holistically after the interviews - if you're very convincing in the Spanish interview this would be very reassuring.

Thanks for your help :-)
Hi,

I posted something like this on the Christ's AAT page but he wasn't all too clear on whether I should actually apply or not.

I want to apply for History (on its own) but got a B in my History AS level. I was three marks off an A even after remark - 52/60 in one paper then a poor 28/40 in the second.

My other AS results are:

Geography (A - 91% UMS)

French (A - 95% UMS)

Maths (B - 73% UMS)

I know the B in History isn't ideal so would this mean that it was highly unlikely that I'd get an offer or even just an interview? Should I apply?

Thanks
Original post by ConorK98
Are my UMS scores high enough for NatSci? Part of CCEA system so don't know if different but the UMS scores are out of 300 apart from Software Systems Development which is 200. I am predicted 2A*s in Maths and Physics and 2A's in Biology and Software. Don't know how relevant but my at GCSE I got 12A*s and an A.

My UMS scores are:

Maths - 278/300
Physics - 268/300
Biology - 263/300
Software Development - 175/200

I'm aware there's also a pre-interview assessment but is this good enough to make an application? Thanks

Original post by ConorK98
I'll most likely be applying for biological natural sciences. I would like to do physics if at all possible but I don't know if this is something you can do without chemistry judging by the natural sciences site:

"physical combining Chemistry, Physics and Biology of Cells"

Ideally I would like to study evolution, physiology, physics and maths. Does anyone know if this is possible? I am predicted an A* for maths and physics but not biology. Will this be a factor if I apply for biological? Thanks

That combination is unorthodox but is allowed I think (unless there are timetabling reasons why not). You only need Chemistry A level if you want to study Chemistry here. Without A level Further Maths you'll find IA Physics and Mathematics difficult so try to get as much maths under your belt as possible. I think one concern is what you would study from the second year onwards - you would very likely be pursuing biological options but you aren't predicted an A* in biology and this might worry a Director of Studies.
Original post by conor_muller
Hi,

I posted something like this on the Christ's AAT page but he wasn't all too clear on whether I should actually apply or not.

I want to apply for History (on its own) but got a B in my History AS level. I was three marks off an A even after remark - 52/60 in one paper then a poor 28/40 in the second.

My other AS results are:

Geography (A - 91% UMS)

French (A - 95% UMS)

Maths (B - 73% UMS)

I know the B in History isn't ideal so would this mean that it was highly unlikely that I'd get an offer or even just an interview? Should I apply?

Thanks

I think this is similar to an earlier question. Lower marks in History AS would be concerning but need not rule you out if you do well at the pre-interview assessment. In think in your circumstances we would want to see a strong HAA performance (the assessments offer another look at candidate's strengths and weaknesses to see if they contradict or augment the picture painted by other parts of the application). Remember that everything is looked at holistically and nothing is ever looked at in isolation.
Hi, realistically, is it worth applying for HSPS with AABB (hopefully getting remarks to AAA) with confirmed A2 predictions of A*A*A*? Also a hopeful A* in my EPQ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Hello, I am applying for Natsci and got 4As, Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Religious Studies, i got 83 UMS in C1, 93 in C2 and 91 in S1, in RS i got 80 UMS in philosophy and 100 in ethics, would my low UMS in C1 maths and philosophy (especially C1 maths) be much of an issue to my application? (It is my weakest area out of Maths, Chemistry and Biology though i'm worried that that wouldn't be obvious given that they don't have an associated UMS).Thank you
Hello, I'm thinking of doing Economics at Cambridge next year.
I've just received my AS results (I did the whole A level for Maths), and I'm doing the whole Further Maths A level this year too.
I'm doing 4 A Level subjects in total.

I got an A in Maths, Economics and Psychology. I'm wondering if an 84 average UMS is okay for Maths A levels (my C4 module was in the 60s, so that brought the average down by a lot). I'm retaking the C3 and C4 to try for an A* next year.

C1 - 97
C2 - 93
C3 - 83
C4 - 64
S1 - 80
M1 - 87
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by amelienine
Hello, I'm thinking of doing Economics at Cambridge next year.
I've just received my AS results (I did the whole A level for Maths), and I'm doing the whole Further Maths A level this year too.
I'm doing 4 A Level subjects in total.

I got an A in Maths, Economics and Psychology. I'm wondering if an 84 average UMS is okay for Maths A levels (my C4 module was in the 60s, so that brought the average down by a lot). I'm retaking the C3 and C4 to try for an A* next year.

As I mentioned in your original post in the other thread - it will help Peterhouse if you also give them your maths module-by-module UMS. :wink:

Maybe edit it into your post above.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
As I mentioned in your original post - it will help Peterhouse if you also give them your maths module-by-module UMS. :wink:

Maybe edit it into your original post.

Thank you!
Hi, I got AAAB at AS in Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science, and Maths. Pretty disappointed with the Maths grade, my UMS is as follows:
C1: 78
C2: 78
S1: 81
I will be resitting C1 & C2. I am predicted A*A*A in Physics, Chemistry, and Maths and am considering Physical NatSci. I understand my Maths grade is quite poor by Cambridge standards, so should I still apply? I want to be realistic about my choices and whilst I fully believe I can get an A/A* in Maths next year I don't want to apply somewhere where I may get rejected straight away.

Thanks
What kinds of applicants do not get interviews? People who aren't predicted the entry requirements but apply anyway?

Is everyone who is predicted the entry requirements and looks like they can achieve them given an interview?
So, Cambridge will not be asking for raw marks. But are they still asking for UMS where it still exists? And will Cambridge take raw marks into consideration where they are provided separately, such as through references?

And since I'm on the topic of UMS, how would Cambridge (or more specifically Peterhouse) feel about an applicant who had done particularly well in one unit but poorly in the other. I got 98 UMS in one Politics exam and 66 in the other. :s-smilie:

Final UMS-ish question: What happens if I get that dodgy unit remarked and it goes up? Would my application be re-evaluated?
Reply 73
Original post by Abstract_Prism
So, Cambridge will not be asking for raw marks. But are they still asking for UMS where it still exists? And will Cambridge take raw marks into consideration where they are provided separately, such as through references?

Yes.

Final UMS-ish question: What happens if I get that dodgy unit remarked and it goes up? Would my application be re-evaluated?

If it gets remarked in time, yes. If it gets remarked after a rejection, then no.
Original post by Zacken
Yes.

If I provided my raw marks through a reference, would I be able to just include the really good ones? Since it's not an official disclosure where I have to disclose everything.
Reply 75
If I provided my raw marks through a reference, would I be able to just include the really good ones? Since it's not an official disclosure where I have to disclose everything.

Yes, but they're not stupid and they will know you're only going to include the really good ones. It's sort of like the option for optionally entering UMS in UCAS, if you don't put all of the modules down, the uni knows you're trying to hide things.

I'll leave it to your judgement whether or not your raw marks should go on your reference or now. My reference was purely qualitative and I had no AS-Levels at the time of applying and still got in, so it's not necessary at all.

And since I'm on the topic of UMS, how would Cambridge (or more specifically Peterhouse) feel about an applicant who had done particularly well in one unit but poorly in the other. I got 98 UMS in one Politics exam and 66 in the other. :s-smilie:

What course are you applying for? Is Politics relevant subject to the course?
Reply 77
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi, happy to help though note that it is just Peterhouse, Cambridge not Peterhouse College. (Don't worry everyone gets it wrong but some of the Fellows can be sticklers over it :wink:).

For Computer Science we'd want to see you on track for A*A*A in Maths, FM and Physics so you're predictions look great. Nothing looks low to me - don't believe everything you read - there really aren't that many applicants with 100% in everything! Also remember that getting an offer isn't just a function of grades. Every year we reject candidates with high grades in favour of candidates with lower grades who we think have more potential to flourish with our supervision style of teaching or who suit the course as taught here more.

This is good advice (I am an ex applicant with 98% UMS including Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Chemistry). Peterhouse rejected me for engineering. I achieved 4 A* this summer in A2 so I am not academically "daft" and went to a state school so in theory, a viable candidate. I can only go from my experience. Despite the obvious efforts to be transparent here for which I congratulate the Admissions team, my honest experience is that the interview REALLY matters. Your point about "sticklers" says it all. I am posting this to advise students to practice this. Hopefully you won't suffer a rude DOS as I did ( and hopefully this will be rectified this year). BUT practice how you would handle an interviewer in a bad mood with little interest in being there. A minority of "sticklers" do exist at Cambridge even today. Let's hope all interviews this year offer all potential students a true "unique supervision and learning experience" and not a hostile environment. The point of my post is to try to level the playing field for all and keep grumpy DOS's on their toes.
Reply 78
So, Cambridge will not be asking for raw marks. But are they still asking for UMS where it still exists?

Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reaver Daniels
Hi, realistically, is it worth applying for HSPS with AABB (hopefully getting remarks to AAA) with confirmed A2 predictions of A*A*A*? Also a hopeful A* in my EPQ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It might be, you'd certainly be considered. I take it your close to the A/B borderline then? This is one cirumstance where your teacher might want to mention you raw marks in their reference or in a separate letter to us. We'd also look for good performance in the HSPS pre-interview assessment.

Latest