The Student Room Group

Economics or Computer Science

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ladbants
No LOOOOOL look at mark zuckerberg and bill gates and Jeff bezos and most of the big tech billionaires and they get pretty standard pussy. Meanwhile, bankers be getting quality pussy

That's cause they're too socially awkward to get proper pussy
Original post by squish562
The only people doing compsci are the ones too awkward to study economics and do finance jobs

Absolute BS, econ students are wannabes at best :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ladbants
All the people I know who do compsci bicep curl less than 10kg.
Econ lads lift more on average.

lads

i rep 110kg

fight my weak comp sci ass
Economics degree -> Goldman Sachs -> Partner -> $$$$$$$$$$$ -> Central banker -> Senator -> President -> Corrupt president -> $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If you want bare dollar work at the Goldman Sachs and become President.
Reply 24
LOOOOL i'm not concerned about money uno it's more about which will bore me less
Reply 25
but econ does seem like a better idea yes
Original post by Ahaitsme

Nah. CompSci is more interesting and more relevant for the future + you can do all of the jobs econ grads can do (bar any specialized positions that generally need a masters in econ anyway) and more.

go with CS, don't fall for the Econ bait

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it is better. If you don't want to be a programmer/engineer then you might as well do economics. It is far more interesting to know how the world works than to find out how computers and algorithms and all kinds of boring stuff work.

#csisboring
#jointheeconarmy
Original post by Trapz99
Yeah it is better. If you don't want to be a programmer/engineer then you might as well do economics. It is far more interesting to know how the world works than to find out how computers and algorithms and all kinds of boring stuff work.

#csisboring
#jointheeconarmy

Econ is boring af, Keynes and Adam Smith completed that rubbish ages ago, OP should learn something that will actually have value :wink:

Computers and algorithms are how you're even on tsr at the moment mate be grateful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Econ is boring af, Keynes and Adam Smith completed that rubbish ages ago, OP should learn something that will actually have value :wink:

Computers and algorithms are how you're even on tsr at the moment mate be grateful

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol lets just let the OP decide which one he finds more interesting and study that

#econisloveeconislife
Reply 30
Original post by Trapz99
Lol lets just let the OP decide which one he finds more interesting and study that

#econisloveeconislife

firstly *she

and tbh i did computing at gcse and it was a challenge uni will be a lot worse whereas econ comes naturally to me hence makin my life easier

&& yes Keynes etc have worked most things out but bruh the world is still a mess -.-
STEM master race
Original post by such_a_lady
It's really weird. I think all the TSR bros who used to go mad for Finance when I was applying (five years ago) have now got a whiff of the high salaries some elite tech jobs offer, and are now going for CS instead. Applications to Oxford CS (apparently the most employable degree in the country?!) tripled in one year, I think, because everyone wants to be a software engineer and earn (they hope) $$$.

That's not completely accurate.

There was a survey, a year or so back, which said that Oxford CS graduates had the best starting salaries or any degree. However, my impression from CS colleagues at some other universities is that their graduates have more trouble getting jobs.

Applications to CS at Oxford went up about 120% over the course of three years. But I think that was mainly due to us getting our act together on recruitment/outreach.

I think OP should do whatever interests her most. The world needs both those with technical skills and those with management/financial skills. (The biggest letting agent in the country was formed by one of my former students and an Economics & Management graduate from the same college.)

Gosh, there were some silly statements earlier in this thread.

Gavin
Original post by gavinlowe
That's not completely accurate.

There was a survey, a year or so back, which said that Oxford CS graduates had the best starting salaries or any degree. However, my impression from CS colleagues at some other universities is that their graduates have more trouble getting jobs.

Applications to CS at Oxford went up about 120% over the course of three years. But I think that was mainly due to us getting our act together on recruitment/outreach.

I think OP should do whatever interests her most. The world needs both those with technical skills and those with management/financial skills. (The biggest letting agent in the country was formed by one of my former students and an Economics & Management graduate from the same college.)

Gosh, there were some silly statements earlier in this thread.

Gavin

Oh I definitely wasn't agreeing with any of that!! I completely agree that OP should do whatever they want to do. I just really dislike the "STEM above all because $" attitude on here. *
Reply 34
okay so i got a C in AS maths bc of a bad year and messing up

most unis need an A for maths for econ and even though i'm retaking the AS i will still only be predicted a C therefore it's not likely for me to get into a good uni however, for cs unis need an A in either maths OR ICT and i got an A in ICT AS and am on track to getting an A* next year...

even though i would rather do econ would it be wiser to do cs?
okay so i got a C in AS maths bc of a bad year and messing up

most unis need an A for maths for econ and even though i'm retaking the AS i will still only be predicted a C therefore it's not likely for me to get into a good uni however, for cs unis need an A in either maths OR ICT and i got an A in ICT AS and am on track to getting an A* next year...

even though i would rather do econ would it be wiser to do cs?

Lol retake a year and get better grades if you want to do Econ. Spend the next three years doing what your passionate about.

Cs is still better tho lmao
Original post by such_a_lady
Oh I definitely wasn't agreeing with any of that!! I completely agree that OP should do whatever they want to do. I just really dislike the "STEM above all because $" attitude on here. *

My god you read 'Oxford grad' and rushed to get your nose all brown. Form your own opinions.
Reply 37
Original post by TrojanH
Lol retake a year and get better grades if you want to do Econ. Spend the next three years doing what your passionate about.

Cs is still better tho lmao

LOOOL retaking the year is too long

do you do cs?
economics is only worthwhile at a top university. very very few students from ex-polys go into high finance or consulting.
CS has high % of students going into professional jobs at almost all universities, even ex-polys. most go into software engineering. if you're an exceptional programmer u can earn £70000+ at 30. even people from ex-poly's get hired to work at big tech companies like google, facebook, amazon, microsoft etc.
Reply 39
My degree was in Econ (got a 1st) from a pretty rubbish RG uni.

Do Compsci

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending