The Student Room Group

Are my a levels too soft??

I've just started a levels and am taking german, geography, english lit and psychology (planning on dropping psychology in yr 13) and my gcse grades were 6 As, 4A* and a C. I wanna do law at a russel group uni but i'm worried that if i change my mind i wont have many career options as there are more career options for higher paid jobs if you do maths or science. Also I feel kind of dumb when everyone else is taking maths and science lol. Will they look down on me for dong psychology for AS and are language a levels considered easy?
No. Those are all strong options, the only one that comes close to being soft is psychology and that's well regarded too. Languages are definitely not considered soft either.

Just because everyone else is taking STEM subjects doesn't mean you should. People are naturally better at different things anyway. Really it should come down to what you enjoy. My Grandma always said if people look down on you just headbutt them and steal all their money. Not sure if it's relevant but it's an interesting sentiment.
Original post by ryanross
I've just started a levels and am taking german, geography, english lit and psychology (planning on dropping psychology in yr 13) and my gcse grades were 6 As, 4A* and a C. I wanna do law at a russel group uni but i'm worried that if i change my mind i wont have many career options as there are more career options for higher paid jobs if you do maths or science. Also I feel kind of dumb when everyone else is taking maths and science lol. Will they look down on me for dong psychology for AS and are language a levels considered easy?

Oh god, don't worry too much about the 'soft' subjects or whatever they call them.

First of all, your subjects are CERTAINLY NOT 'soft'

That's a really good set of A Levels there, geography is such a respected A Level, it gives you an outlook on our world, which is probably useful for Law. German is amazing- for Law you would stand out. English Literature proves your analytical skills- e.g. you read between the lines. Very helpful for Law. Finally, psychology is an excellent subject especially for Law, as you can judge an individual's character thoroughly.

I'm so happy to see you're not taking the conventional 'History' just to do a Law degree.

Your A Levels stand out and you already sound like a unique candidate.

You don't have to do a sci-ency subject/maths to be considered clever.

Please do what you enjoy, it really matters while you're revising!

Good luck =)

They are good a levels and not soft!!They can link to law very well. Parts of psychology are scientific- some regard it as a science anyway
tbh i think my alvls are pretty "soft" aswell :/
im doing english lit/lang, psychology and business and core maths as an enrichment
others seem to be doing much "harder" ones like physics and chemistry.
Reply 5
Original post by IRoranth
Oh god, don't worry too much about the 'soft' subjects or whatever they call them.

First of all, your subjects are CERTAINLY NOT 'soft'

That's a really good set of A Levels there, geography is such a respected A Level, it gives you an outlook on our world, which is probably useful for Law. German is amazing- for Law you would stand out. English Literature proves your analytical skills- e.g. you read between the lines. Very helpful for Law. Finally, psychology is an excellent subject especially for Law, as you can judge an individual's character thoroughly.

I'm so happy to see you're not taking the conventional 'History' just to do a Law degree.

Your A Levels stand out and you already sound like a unique candidate.

You don't have to do a sci-ency subject/maths to be considered clever.

Please do what you enjoy, it really matters while you're revising!

Good luck =)

Ok thanks thats really reassuring aha :smile:
Original post by mariam687
tbh i think my alvls are pretty "soft" aswell :/
im doing english lit/lang, psychology and business and core maths as an enrichment
others seem to be doing much "harder" ones like physics and chemistry.

Shutup....

English lang/lit is definitely not soft
Psychology is not for the faint hearted
Buisness is very risky, so can't be soft
Maths.... Don't get me started on maths.....
Original post by Boss_Rhythm
Shutup....

English lang/lit is definitely not soft
Psychology is not for the faint hearted
Buisness is very risky, so can't be soft
Maths.... Don't get me started on maths.....

i guess ur right but i think its just the people im around, theyre all picking very "hard " subjects so it feels as though im doing easy ones ykno?

but thanks !

pm me!!! :wink:
i guess ur right but i think its just the people im around, theyre all picking very "hard " subjects so it feels as though im doing easy ones ykno?

but thanks !

pm me!!! :wink:

English is hard af, in A-Levels....
How are you even doing it????

Buisness isn't much easier...

IDK About psychology....
English is hard af, in A-Levels....
How are you even doing it????

Buisness isn't much easier...

IDK About psychology....

yh i guess it is, but i got my astars in english lang/lit in gcse and i generally did enjoy it, so hopefully i'll be fine
but then again im that type of person who finds things hard and sometimes.. i even give up tbh, see i was going to take sciency alvls but literally last minute i chose english bc idk i just change my mind so quickly loool
It doesn't matter whether your subjects are "soft" or not. As long as you do well in them and they are somewhat relevant to your uni course then it's fine.
yh i guess it is, but i got my astars in english lang/lit in gcse and i generally did enjoy it, so hopefully i'll be fine
but then again im that type of person who finds things hard and sometimes.. i even give up tbh, see i was going to take sciency alvls but literally last minute i chose english bc idk i just change my mind so quickly loool

Hmm, In sha allah you will do well :biggrin:
Hmm, In sha allah you will do well :biggrin:

thank you
languages are facilitating subjects and so are english lit and geography. you're fine
Reply 14
Original post by unrealistic
No. Those are all strong options, the only one that comes close to being soft is psychology and that's well regarded too. Languages are definitely not considered soft either.

Just because everyone else is taking STEM subjects doesn't mean you should. People are naturally better at different things anyway. Really it should come down to what you enjoy. My Grandma always said if people look down on you just headbutt them and steal all their money. Not sure if it's relevant but it's an interesting sentiment.

Psychology is close to "soft"? Are you stupid?
Psychology and business studies are soft options.
Original post by Aklaol
Psychology is close to "soft"? Are you stupid?

I was quoting from the perspective of russel group unis. They consider all the rest to be in the hard/facilitating subject sections. Whereas both psychology and sociology fall middle ground. My fault, I probably should have worded it better :biggrin:
They're fine. You won't be calling them soft when mock exams come around.
Psychology and English soft????
PFFFFFTT
No
They're hard
Especially because they're now linear :colonhash:

Not soft at all. Language A levels are notoriously known as being very difficult. You have 3 strong subjects and maybe psychology is the weaker one but from people I know who've done psychology it isn't an easy subject at all.

Quick Reply

Latest