Original post by grassntai
so many bad things i hear about KCL :redface: thank God I didn't go there

Please elaborate...
Reply 3
You've got a valid reason for going to King's. Several, in fact.*

You don't want to leave London.
It's a world class university.
It's to study a subject you enjoy.

Only you can say whether you will like it or not. I went to York and now Manchester and also to Durham and UIUC in America. My experiences will not be everyone else's. For every person who has a bad experience there will be another who had a good one and probably a good many more than one. You have to let experience speak for you on this one. People who had bad experiences are much more likely to make a noise about it than people who had good ones and they're more likely to exaggerate.

The only reason to change your choice is if any of those reasons above are no longer valid or if there's another place that you would prefer to go to without recourse to resitting A levels. **
Listen mate, most of these bad things you heard about KCL are all from people who couldn't get into the Uni in the first place and took out their jealous bitter frustrations out on my thread.

KCL is a top top university, I don't even think you need me to tell you, and their computer science department might not be one of the departments their known for, but they are still very good in it. (8th in the UK according to Telegraph)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationpicturegalleries/9601080/Top-10-universities-for-computer-science-and-information-systems.html?frame=2366016

Also, I'm sorry that you didn't meet your offer to go to UCL, but for every cloud there's always a silver lining and at the end of the day, a 1st from UCL will give you as many opportunities as a 1st from UCL, so just work hard, have fun and do your very best, and if you want to get acquainted before school starts on the 19th, you can PM me :smile:

Have a nice day.
Original post by meridian0
I'm also going to King's (Pharmacy) and I keep reading bad things about it on TSR lol :biggrin: It's probably an okay uni though. UCL was also my firm (and the best uni I applied to) but I flopped my A Levels. And it appears as if KCL accepts everyone who flopped, although your grades are very good tbh! UCL Computer Science must be competitive; I reckon I could have gotten into their pharmacy course with ABB.

Thanks! My friend just missed his KCL offer (AAC instead of AAB) and they rejected him... So I guess they don't take everyone :/

I keep reading really bad things about it too but whenever a stranger hear's I'm going there they congratulate me so i'm so torn inside! :/
Reply 6
Personally think king's college is a good uni so stop being hard on yourself . Make the most of it and I'm sure it won't be as bad as you make out
Original post by giella
You've got a valid reason for going to King's. Several, in fact.*

You don't want to leave London.
It's a world class university.
It's to study a subject you enjoy.

Only you can say whether you will like it or not. I went to York and now Manchester and also to Durham and UIUC in America. My experiences will not be everyone else's. For every person who has a bad experience there will be another who had a good one and probably a good many more than one. You have to let experience speak for you on this one. People who had bad experiences are much more likely to make a noise about it than people who had good ones and they're more likely to exaggerate.

The only reason to change your choice is if any of those reasons above are no longer valid or if there's another place that you would prefer to go to without recourse to resitting A levels. **

That's true, thank you, I'm just very very nervous.
Reply 8
Original post by Mathlete2198
I'm starting my first year at King's College London end of this month to study Computer Science, but I've heard so many bad things that other people say about the uni and the people that go there.

Last year I applied to Oxford (I flopped the MAT, so easy rejection there.), Imperial (Interview went quite badly so fair enough), UCL (I kept as firm), KCL (my insurance) and Southampton (Which I loved, but in the end I didn't want to leave London.)

Now I'm not against any of the universities I didn't get into, they're all amazing universities to go to and I just wasn't good enough to go to them. In the end I unfortunately missed my UCL offer of A*AA and got A*AB (damn you chemistry). I don't blame UCL since I missed the entry requirements, but that doesn't make me any less upset.

Since I chose my unis the rankings have changed and KCL has dropped down a little, but it's still a really good inner London uni.

But the question is, did I mess up? And if so, what do I do now? Please could someone help me with my internal dilemma. ::///

I've heard that your uni experience depends on yourself. Join societies, try to be sociable and make friends and make the most of any opportunities and you will enjoy it there. Not everyone will enjoy it there but there are many people who do and you can be one of those people who does enjoy going to KCL if you try hard to participate in activities. There's not really much you can do about it now, so might as well go in with a positive mind and join in and make friends. Everyone's comments above are great advice as well i think
Original post by fefssdf
Personally think king's college is a good uni so stop being hard on yourself . Make the most of it and I'm sure it won't be as bad as you make out

From the people that go there I hear it's not too bad, I guess I'm just annoyed that I missed UCL by one grade. I suppose it's also because CS at UCL is supposed to be better than CS at KCL, but nothing I can do now right?

Original post by 12284
I've heard that your uni experience depends on yourself. Join societies, try to be sociable and make friends and make the most of any opportunities and you will enjoy it there. Not everyone will enjoy it there but there are many people who do and you can be one of those people who does enjoy going to KCL if you try hard to participate in activities. There's not really much you can do about it now, so might as well go in with a positive mind and join in and make friends. Everyone's comments above are great advice as well i think
#

^Tru tru, societies at KCL looks way better than UCL tbh.
at least u dont go to Greenwich universitty
Ah, well yeah it must depend on the course. Can I ask which course your friend applied for? And which subject did they get a 'C' in? Just curious haha.

I think the most annoying thing for me is that UCL was only one tube journey away while KCL is two journeys lmao. Ultimately, I think it's best to ignore the bad things you read on here. And if you start uni with low hopes, it's unlikely you'll be disappointed. KCL is far from the worst uni, at least.

French and Management, with an A in French and Eco and C in Maths.

For me, funnily it's the opposite, my KCL campus is 3 tube stops away whereas UCL is another line and few stops away!
Original post by uglyslut
at least u dont go to Greenwich universitty

That's true, I get reminded it could've been worse.

It's just annoying because KCL is apparently known at the uni of UCL rejects, which i suppose is true in my case - BUT NOT ALL!?

^LOL, sorry about that
(edited 7 years ago)
From the people that go there I hear it's not too bad, I guess I'm just annoyed that I missed UCL by one grade. I suppose it's also because CS at UCL is supposed to be better than CS at KCL, but nothing I can do now right?

#

^Tru tru, societies at KCL looks way better than UCL tbh.

Look at the student union website and list of societies and think about which ones to join to make you feel less worried about it as chances are they'll be lots of societies that will suit your needs and will make your uni experience worthwhile ! 😀
OP, they're both great unis. As long as you do OK at uni, it really doesn't matter which one.
Reply 15
I know how you feel, Im going to KCL as well after being rejected by Durham, Cambridge and LSE even though I got 3 A*'s. I feel like I should be going uni somewhere better but hopefully once I get there I will like it. I couldn't even apply to UCL because they don't even have a proper politics course.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gsonro
I know how you feel, Im going to KCL as well after being rejected by Durham, Cambridge and LSE even though I got 3 A*'s. I feel like I should be going uni somewhere better but hopefully once I get there I will like it. I couldn't even apply to UCL because they don't even have a proper politics course.

Wow, and I felt bad. What are you studying at KCL?
Hmm I suppose they must have filled their places for that course.

Well, look at the bright side then. :tongue:

you and me both :lol: :lol:
I have a friend who applied to UCL but got rejected so had to firm KCL hahaha

Edit: we should make a UCL reject society!
.......okay that was a bad joke

*Crying* Suppose it's the truth. I didn't even want to go to UCL, I wanted to go to Imperial But my interview was horrendous. Guess everything happens for a reason.
Reply 18
Wow, and I felt bad. What are you studying at KCL?

mm
(edited 7 years ago)
If KCL is the Uni of UCL rejects then UCL is the Uni of Cambridge rejects.

Quick Reply

Latest