The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Can I get into LSE with these grades?

Hello, I am a Year 13 student applying for 2017 entry. However, I got really **** grades compared to what I was expecting. I did Maths, Econ, Computer Sci. and English Lang&Lit, English being the subject that I dropped at a D grade.

Even if I manage to achieve the required grades (A*AA), will the D grade at AS put me at a disadvantage???
What were your other grades at AS? And your gcse grades?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
GCSE: 2A*s 4As 3Bs 1C
AS: A (Maths), B (Econ), D (English), E (Computing)
Umm I mean you can try, because it's a very competitive course, both courses are, if you make your personal statement the best thing that they've ever read then it is possibl. You might get an offer, my concern is mainly that would you be able to get the grades at the end of the year if you're predicted A*AA? You'd have to get A* in maths which believe me is not easy, I've never worked so hard for a subject in my entire life and I ended up being one mark off the A* (and I've done additional maths at gcse and I took AS further maths, which I got an A in both), and for Eco and English you'll have to get A* in your A2 as well if you're not planning on resiting to move your grade up, actually for English if you don't resit you won't even be able to get the A as you wouldn't have enough ums, maybe if you get full marks, but you need to check, I recommend resiting English. Eco it's possible to move to an A, i think u should resit both AS papers as they will be much easier after A2, becuase unit 3 (micro) is WAY harder than unit 1 (micro), the content is so much more, but macro is pretty much the same just with some added things so you wouldn't even need to revise for unit 2 as its the same as unit 4. Will you resit any of your exams? Also I assumed you were taking aqa economics, if it's edexcel my advice is still relevant as both boards are very similar.

I'm sorry I'm being quite negative, but I've seen so many of my friends who've worked so hard and get really high grades at AS (i.e 4As) and gcse (7A*+ at gcse) miss their offers. I don't want you to have the intention of going to the uni you want and then missing it. But if you do get an offer from lse make sure what you put as your insurance is a university which you also really like and wouldn't mind going.

I have lots of advice that I could give you for your personal statements or maths A-level and how to get the A*, I'm even planning on going around lots of schools in London to give talks and workshops, do you by any chance live there? Or even in England?
Reply 4
Original post by negin1347
Umm I mean you can try, because it's a very competitive course, both courses are, if you make your personal statement the best thing that they've ever read then it is possibl. You might get an offer, my concern is mainly that would you be able to get the grades at the end of the year if you're predicted A*AA? You'd have to get A* in maths which believe me is not easy, I've never worked so hard for a subject in my entire life and I ended up being one mark off the A* (and I've done additional maths at gcse and I took AS further maths, which I got an A in both), and for Eco and English you'll have to get A* in your A2 as well if you're not planning on resiting to move your grade up, actually for English if you don't resit you won't even be able to get the A as you wouldn't have enough ums, maybe if you get full marks, but you need to check, I recommend resiting English. Eco it's possible to move to an A, i think u should resit both AS papers as they will be much easier after A2, becuase unit 3 (micro) is WAY harder than unit 1 (micro), the content is so much more, but macro is pretty much the same just with some added things so you wouldn't even need to revise for unit 2 as its the same as unit 4. Will you resit any of your exams? Also I assumed you were taking aqa economics, if it's edexcel my advice is still relevant as both boards are very similar.

I'm sorry I'm being quite negative, but I've seen so many of my friends who've worked so hard and get really high grades at AS (i.e 4As) and gcse (7A*+ at gcse) miss their offers. I don't want you to have the intention of going to the uni you want and then missing it. But if you do get an offer from lse make sure what you put as your insurance is a university which you also really like and wouldn't mind going.

I have lots of advice that I could give you for your personal statements or maths A-level and how to get the A*, I'm even planning on going around lots of schools in London to give talks and workshops, do you by any chance live there? Or even in England?

Thanks for that. In terms of AS, I don't think I'll resit any of them since I think it'll jeopardise my A2s, especially the fact that I need an A* in Maths. As it stands, my teacher said I just scraped an E for Maths at A2 without doing the exam, if that makes sense, (241 UMS across S1, C1 and C2) but I'm going to resit S1 and C2 to make them A's. I'm doing OCR Economics btw and there's a new spec for that so I'll have to see about that. English is a goner, I really do not want to retake that rubbish.

In terms of unis, I'm really limited to staying in London due to finance. I do have backups like City and SOAS but I think I'll have to look a bit deeper into it.

I have a question though: should I do the AS Italian exam next year since it's my native language? I know unis won't care about languages since it's a native language but I think it's worth doing it and getting a better AS grade than a D.
Reply 5

Could you share some tips about the personal statement for an LSE applicant? I would really appreciate it
Original post by romaiseb
Could you share some tips about the personal statement for an LSE applicant? I would really appreciate it

I'll message you privately
Original post by Jozanic
Thanks for that. In terms of AS, I don't think I'll resit any of them since I think it'll jeopardise my A2s, especially the fact that I need an A* in Maths. As it stands, my teacher said I just scraped an E for Maths at A2 without doing the exam, if that makes sense, (241 UMS across S1, C1 and C2) but I'm going to resit S1 and C2 to make them A's. I'm doing OCR Economics btw and there's a new spec for that so I'll have to see about that. English is a goner, I really do not want to retake that rubbish.
Xby TurboMac<br><br><br><br>In terms of unis, I'm really limited to staying in London due to finance. I do have backups like City and SOAS but I think I'll have to look a bit deeper into it.

I have a question though: should I do the AS Italian exam next year since it's my native language? I know unis won't care about languages since it's a native language but I think it's worth doing it and getting a better AS grade than a D.

You said you're limited to staying in london due to finance, but LSE is also in london. Btw when i asked if you're staying in london i meant if your school is there as i'm going to go around doing talks there.

Anyways, i wanted to ask do you know what you're meant to do do get A* in maths? You have to get 180 ums in c3 and c4 so you need to average 90ums for each paper, but also at the same time you need to have 480 ums in total across all 6 modules c1,c2,c3,c4,s1,s2. In fact, getting an A in maths you also need to get 480 ums, but if you get even 179 ums in c3 and c4 in total but get full ums in c1/c2/s1/s2 you still can NOT get the A*. This means that for getting an A* it does not matter what you got at AS as long as you get atleast a B you can still get A* (since you need 480ums). HOWEVER most people drop from an A to a B at A2 due to c3 and c4 bringing their grade down, therefore if you want to get an A overall you should definitely resit, so you can resit incase you don’t think you’ll get the A* as a backup, but like i said it will not help you get the A* even if you get full ums in the AS modules. But, since you’ve scraped the A in maths I think it will be hard for you to get the A*, you need to study all the content before every lesson, you have to be atleast one month ahead of your class and do all the exam questions before as well, i did that but i still only got 179ums in c3 and c4 in total!

I’m not sure about doing AS italian, contact the universities and see if it will make a difference, for top universities it most likely won’t, and so i wouldn’t recommend, but i’m not sure, maybe speak to a careers advisor at your school. Also, since you’re not taking english, will you be resetting any modules for computer science? But that E in computer science is really not good… I don’t know if it will jeoperdise your offer. Are there any other universities you’re interested in?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
You said you're limited to staying in london due to finance, but LSE is also in london. Btw when i asked if you're staying in london i meant if your school is there as i'm going to go around doing talks there.

Anyways, i wanted to ask do you know what you're meant to do do get A* in maths? You have to get 180 ums in c3 and c4 so you need to average 90ums for each paper, but also at the same time you need to have 480 ums in total across all 6 modules c1,c2,c3,c4,s1,s2. In fact, getting an A in maths you also need to get 480 ums, but if you get even 179 ums in c3 and c4 in total but get full ums in c1/c2/s1/s2 you still can NOT get the A*. This means that for getting an A* it does not matter what you got at AS as long as you get atleast a B you can still get A* (since you need 480ums). HOWEVER most people drop from an A to a B at A2 due to c3 and c4 bringing their grade down, therefore if you want to get an A overall you should definitely resit, so you can resit incase you don’t think you’ll get the A* as a backup, but like i said it will not help you get the A* even if you get full ums in the AS modules. But, since you’ve scraped the A in maths I think it will be hard for you to get the A*, you need to study all the content before every lesson, you have to be atleast one month ahead of your class and do all the exam questions before as well, i did that but i still only got 179ums in c3 and c4 in total!

I’m not sure about doing AS italian, contact the universities and see if it will make a difference, for top universities it most likely won’t, and so i wouldn’t recommend, but i’m not sure, maybe speak to a careers advisor at your school. Also, since you’re not taking english, will you be resetting any modules for computer science? But that E in computer science is really not good… I don’t know if it will jeoperdise your offer. Are there any other universities you’re interested in?

Yeah I do go to a school in London but I do not wish to disclose it to anyone. I am aware about how to get an A*. Before the academic year began I bought C3 and C4 text books and made sure that I read and studied them before school started. In terms of my other subjects, all of them are linear exams apart from Maths, so I guess the grades I achieved for AS Economics and Computer Science won't be valid anymore. I've also been told by my school that you either put all of your AS grades on UCAS (i.e. would be ideal for people who got striaght As) OR none of them and include predicted grades. To be fair, my school didn't do too well in Maths and most of them are resitting next Summer and so am I. As you said, if I don't get 180 UMS across C3 and C4, I can resit some modules to maximise my chance to get at least get an A as a backup.

Other Universities I'm considering are: SOAS, City, QMUL, UCL (Management Science) and Nottingham (highly unlikely).
That's really good that you have revised c3 and c4, it honestly really increases your chances of getting the A*. Do all the questions by topic on physics and maths tutor before any chapter tests, do all the papers and Solomon papers, but most importantly take a note of EVERY mistake u make, and notice the type of mistakes you make especially with the silly ones, and so look out for it. I also screen shoted every question that I got wrong from every paper that I did including Solomon and it ended up being like 80 pages! Then I completed that booklet at the end when I did all the papers. It's ok to make mistakes just don't repeat them.

I think the universities you've applied to are good as they're a range of different unis with different entry requirement, in fact I applied to SOAS, QMUL, LSE, UCL (management science as well), and Warwick. If you're not going to put your computer science AS grade then you have a great advantage if you're continuing with it at A2, just check with your teacher though if you can get an A at A2 if you don't resit any modules.
Good luck with your exams. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Reply 10
That's really good that you have revised c3 and c4, it honestly really increases your chances of getting the A*. Do all the questions by topic on physics and maths tutor before any chapter tests, do all the papers and Solomon papers, but most importantly take a note of EVERY mistake u make, and notice the type of mistakes you make especially with the silly ones, and so look out for it. I also screen shoted every question that I got wrong from every paper that I did including Solomon and it ended up being like 80 pages! Then I completed that booklet at the end when I did all the papers. It's ok to make mistakes just don't repeat them.

I think the universities you've applied to are good as they're a range of different unis with different entry requirement, in fact I applied to SOAS, QMUL, LSE, UCL (management science as well), and Warwick. If you're not going to put your computer science AS grade then you have a great advantage if you're continuing with it at A2, just check with your teacher though if you can get an A at A2 if you don't resit any modules.
Good luck with your exams. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for the advice. I'll begin the Solomon papers now.

Just curious, what were your A2 grades and what uni did you ultimately choose?

Also, I've been to QMUL, UCL, LSE open days but haven't been to SOAS or Warwick. If you have, how was it?
I've only been to LSE and QMUL open days. I got AAA in Maths, French and economics, and i chose to do management at LSE. I can't explain to you how hard i worked for maths and I was one ums off the A*, let me just say that hard work is never enough, you need to work smartly as well. So this means that do not make silly mistakes, there's nothing worst than that, if you do, you'll notice a pattern of mistakes and so try and avoid them. Unfortunately for me noone ever really told me that silly mistakes were really bad until my teacher this year said that it would cost me the A*, and she was right, it was too late for me to correct my mistakes due to my sloppy work over the years. Have neat writting, write logincally, don't just look through your work when checking, don't assume that you got a question right, assume you got it wrong so it will cause you to look more carefully when you're checking at the end.
Original post by Jozanic
Hello, I am a Year 13 student applying for 2017 entry. However, I got really **** grades compared to what I was expecting. I did Maths, Econ, Computer Sci. and English Lang&Lit, English being the subject that I dropped at a D grade.

Even if I manage to achieve the required grades (A*AA), will the D grade at AS put me at a disadvantage???

I don't think you'll have a good chance. You need an A*AA prediction at the very least and they do look at AS scores so you will be at a big disadvantage compared to other applicants.
Reply 13
You can get in if you take a gap year and reapply with your grades at entry requirement. Coming from someone who got an unconditional while in a gap year.
Reply 14
Ahh I see. I also have a last resort if I don't get sufficient grades for at least my top 3 choices. The last resort being, taking a gap year and applying with the unconditional offer OR going abroad and studying at universities like Bocconi, Mannheim, LMU, ETH Zurich, Tilburg, Stockholm or St.Gallen, which are pretty decent unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending