The Student Room Group

CoffeeGeek's Road to GCSE Success... This is it!☺

:nyan:CoffeeGeek's Road to GCSE Success (this is it)!:nyan:
[scroll]Updates every Monday and Friday unless told otherwise! Enjoy the blog :biggrin:[/scroll]

Hello everyone! My name is CoffeeGeek, I am 16 and I am from Birmingham! I like playing video games, it is a great distraction from work and one of my main ways of dodging work until last minute :tongue: (I should really stop hahaha).

Get a brew, sit down somewhere comfy because this is going to be long! I have had 2 blogs, yes, 2 blogs before this one! One for Year 9 and another for Year 10 so if you want to see me from the start then click Year 9 or if you want to see me mid-way then click Year 10 :smile:

SUBJECTS I'M TAKING FOR MY GCSE'S:

Maths (Edexcel)

English Lit + Lang (AQA)

Chemistry (AQA)

Physics (AQA) ---> I'm doing triple science.

Biology (AQA)

History (AQA)

Geography (AQA)

French (AQA)

Religious Studies (AQA)

ICT (Edexcel)

A Bit of History About Me:

Spoiler

My End of Year 10 Report:

Spoiler

Here are some study tips that might help others in my situation, I used these last exam week in order to achieve the grades/levels above:

Spoiler

If you are reading this blog and you're in Year 11 then join the Year 11 Thread.

Useful Links :biggrin:
https://hegartymaths.com/
https://corbettmaths.com/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/
http://www.my-gcsescience.com/
https://www.mathswatchvle.com/
http://freesciencelessons.co.uk/
https://www.memrise.com/
https://quizlet.com/
http://www.johndclare.net/

Other Year 11 blogs :smile:

Spoiler

Enjoy the blog guys!
(I suggest if you are here and you are suppose to do work, come off now, and just get started!!!)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Update 03/09/2016

Before I waffle :tongue:, I know it says updates are Monday and Friday only but I will do an update next week Wednesday (the day I start school) - moaning about timetables or teachers I got or whatever (it will probably be the same). After Wednesday update I will do one again on Friday next week then it will be Monday and Friday updates from then :smile:

School is just around the corner, I have already done my shopping! I got the stuff I need (I think) and I am worried. I am worried because this is my first formal exam and it just scares me to think it's only a few months away from now :frown: But I guess I am excited because like I said in my intro, it gives me a rush of energy to just get on with it!

I am expecting this year to be a bit lot more hectic! I already have work to do when I go back. I haven't really touched my summer homework except ICT. French was ridiculous, 12 hours homework!!! I printed some flashcards of for vocab but that's it, and we got a test when we go back so that's not good... I need to finish some ICT work that should have been finished before summer, and I will need to type up my evaluation for activity 1 and 2 when I go back (if anyone else is doing animal shelter CAB on edexcel you know how annoying this is).

I'm not sure how updates will work in the far future. But I think around Easter it will be quite intense so the frequency of my updates may be random instead of a regular pattern I usually have.

Any tips for Year 11 is appreciated because I'm so worried! :frown: Good luck to everyone else this year! It's going to be hard but we can do it! :biggrin:
Good luck. I can't believe you're still ****ing holding on lol.
I might give tips later I'm in bed ATM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Good luck! What are you thinking of doing after Y11?
So sorry I didn't get to respond to you people!!! It didn't pop up in my notifications :frown:

Original post by Chittesh14
Good luck. I can't believe you're still ****ing holding on lol.
I might give tips later I'm in bed ATM.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahahah yes, third year, I thought I was a person of little patience and tolerance, seems not lool!

Original post by jamestg
Good luck! What are you thinking of doing after Y11?

I'm thinking of going on to sixth form and doing my A-Levels because I want to go to uni :smile: I want to do Maths, Politics, Economic, (if I have to have a fourth subject) Biology (this might change though :/). I want to study politics or economics at university.
Reply 5
Original post by MrMackyTv
So sorry I didn't get to respond to you people!!! It didn't pop up in my notifications :frown:

Hahahah yes, third year, I thought I was a person of little patience and tolerance, seems not lool!

I'm thinking of going on to sixth form and doing my A-Levels because I want to go to uni :smile: I want to do Maths, Politics, Economic, (if I have to have a fourth subject) Biology (this might change though :/). I want to study politics or economics at university.

Ooooh I did biology, and I'm continuing with maths, politics and history! As well as applying to economics degrees! If you have any questions just give me a shout! Good luck with Y11 :smile:
Original post by jamestg
Ooooh I did biology, and I'm continuing with maths, politics and history! As well as applying to economics degrees! If you have any questions just give me a shout! Good luck with Y11 :smile:

Oh wow that's really cool!!! I will come to you if a question pops up in my head :biggrin:
x

Lol, good luck. Just study hard but don't burn out. If you study really hard at GCSEs and burn out, it'll cause too much trouble at A-levels... Take GCSE's easy and work normally how your brain wants to because at A-level you will be a under a lot more pressure.
Best of luck mate. Keep working hard and you'll get the grades you deserve. :smile:
Update 07/09/2016 - First Day of Year 11... eeek

What a day it was!!! So... how do I start? What changed over the holidays? I've changed my hairstyle a bit and new glasses and stuff great. Ok. First day back, have to reach school for 11am, thinking I am on time until I realise my commute was delayed because I missed a metro and there was a trainee driver on the metro I caught after... so I got to school slightly late. This made my day worse because I walked in the class and it was just silent, everyone is being a bit weird today, a lot of judgement a lot of immaturity and you know what... insensitive teenagers. Something, I expected to see go over the holidays. I heard teachers shouting on the first day, my school just hasn't changed and I don't think it ever will but there are some worse schools so I guess I'm lucky :smile:

Anyways, so after that we had lunch and we only had to do 2 periods, which was double History on a Wednesday (same as last year) and it was good :smile: We are starting to write up our controlled assessment, it was a bit boring but she talked about sixth form and off-topic stuff for a while to make it seem more chill and less boring. Everyone was quite quiet in that lesson, not because of first day but because of the seating plan, she changed it lol because apparently my class talks a lot but yeah :biggrin:

Now I'm back home and safe from my first day of Year 11 and I got a headache, I am absolutely knackered. It's a shock to my system because I have never had to do that routine until now, it's a bit sudden but I guess I will get use to it. Getting up early in the morning and etc... I think I'm going to leave tomorrow at quarter to 8 or 7:30. I dunno, I just need that routine. Because things are kicking up, I think after my first week I'm gonna have to come in at 8 which might mean leaving earlier but that is ok :smile:

So, my timetable... It's okay. My worst days are Monday and Tuesday.

Monday:

1st - French
2nd - Geography
3rd - Maths
4th - English
5th - History
6th - Religious Studies

(too many single periods, in Year 10 I had at least one double period everyday!)

Tuesday:

1st - 2nd: French
3rd - 4th: Chemistry
5th - 6th: ICT

(reason why I hate this is because for all those three, despite it being double periods the whole day (which I like) they are all bad teachers... bad teachers the whole day is not fun...)

That's it! Next update is Friday! :biggrin: Meanwhile, I am gonna sort out my calendar with all these special dates for Year 11 and do a subject list on Excel so I know what I need to focus on more :smile: Cya! :biggrin: (I hope everyone else had a better first day than me :smile:)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Chittesh14
Lol, good luck. Just study hard but don't burn out. If you study really hard at GCSEs and burn out, it'll cause too much trouble at A-levels... Take GCSE's easy and work normally how your brain wants to because at A-level you will be a under a lot more pressure.

Okay thanks for the tips :smile: I will take that on board :biggrin:

Original post by Kryptonian
Best of luck mate. Keep working hard and you'll get the grades you deserve. :smile:

Thanks! :smile:
Update 09/09/16

What a week! I only had to go to school for 2 and a half days and it feels like a full week and I am absolutely exhausted! Yesterday in fact, I was so tired I literally passed out on the sofa sleeping! My body is obviously not taking this easily so it will take time to getting use to waking up early doing a lot of walking and standing and focusing with my eyes open, I clearly didn't do that in the summer holidays!

I wasn't able to get my English Language results, I think I will find out my finalised mark for Biology next week, I've heard quite a few people got 20/20 in the first paper. We started our Physics ISA today and I didn't do much partly due to the slow internet but not only that it is because everyone was quite confused, so I'm gonna have to do a lot of research.

A lot of things are going to be happening, lemme just give you an overview of events that will be occurring up till Christmas.

Stuff that will be happening :smile:

10th November - Sixth Form Open Evening (for my school (I will be going (of course)))
17th November - Parents Evening (why is it so early omg...)
5th December - Mock Exams Begin, Sixth Form Consultation (not looking forward to that day)
16th December - Mock Exams End

(I might update this if anything pops up soon :smile:)

That's what is going to be happening. Seems like most of the scary stuff happen in November/December! I have made a countdown clock (yes it is needed lol) for mocks. This will help remind me of the importance of my mocks, I tend to get very complacent about stuff like this then freak out last minute so I want to see how much time I have so I can plan.

In fact today, I will be starting notes for Unit 3 Sciences and start making revision resources, nothing intensive just yet! I still need that time to adjust to this back to school phase.

Next update is Monday! See ya then! Enjoy your weekend everyone :smile:
Ayyyyy birmingham
What school?
Good luck :biggrin:
@MrMackyTv - good luck! :smile:
Original post by frankielogue
Ayyyyy birmingham
What school?
Good luck :biggrin:

Lol not telling you my school sorry :tongue:

Original post by Quamquam123
@MrMackyTv - good luck! :smile:

Thanks! (hello QQ :smile:)
Lol not telling you my school sorry :tongue:

Thanks! (hello QQ :smile:)

Fairs lmao
Good luck!
Update 13/09/2016

So sorry I didn't do an update yesterday! I forgot, it was my birthday so I'm now 16 woo!

Nothing new tbh but just a few things I want you all to know:

I have four choices for my sixth form and I am awaiting dates for the open evenings! Very exciting!

I got 49/80 in my English Language paper 1 exam that I did before summer, it's not too bad for not revising! :frown:

I am going to start writing my Unit 3 notes pretty soon! :biggrin:

I also got a Geography Assessment next week on Rivers... yay...

I haven't got that much homework because teachers are expecting us to revise for our mocks. I have a real exam in January (Level 3 Algebra) which I want to pass so I will start revising for that I guess :/

Oh great, my Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde book has been lost... it's got all my lovely notes in there, and it's a very hard text to understand too. Great. Things just get better for me...
(edited 7 years ago)
Update 16/09/2016

Hey! So a lot has happened this week:

We are going to do our paper 1 Physics ISA next week and we went through CRNs today to make sure everything is good.

We have a Geography Assessment on Water on the Land (rivers) - I will have to revise it soon over the weekend maybe but tomorrow I'm going to Alton Towers so this weekend will be a bit of a squeeze :smile:

For Biology our teacher said we won't do Paper 2 until later, we have just started B3 on Osmosis which is fairly easy to understand, we have homework to make notes on the other topics that follow after.

Our class in French failed the test except one person!!!! The pass rate was 80%! So now I got to resit it after school on Tuesday :/

Our English teacher is expecting us to revise because we have a surprise test whooo.

So yeah, lots of stuff to do. Not enough time to do it. I think the next 4 weeks is going to be very hard for me! Better get started then? :biggrin:
Update 19/09/2016

This week is going to be a bit of a squeeze. So get a lovely cuppa' because this is gonna be a long one:

I really need to crack on with my Unit 3 Sciences notes sometime this week in preparation for my mocks!!!

Tomorrow I have a Geography Assessment on Water on Land - so I will need to prepare for that by doing at least an hour revision tonight.

Tomorrow I also have a French retest, that I also need to revise for unfortunately! :frown:

I find out today I will be having two Maths mocks, yes two! One for GCSE and one for Level 3 Algebra unfortunately again. So the period up until Christmas break will not be fun.

In History at the moment we are doing our write-up of the sources we studied on the dangers of attack and invasion in both WWI and WWII. I had to restart mine again because my old one was crap and was apparently a C!!! So I did it again and checked with my teacher and she gave me the wink :wink: - so I'm all good :biggrin:

My English teacher hasn't found my book yet - she said she will continue trying to look for it but if she doesn't find it then I will have to copy someone elses notes!!!! ARRFGGHGHGHGOPAOESAFH GIEAQ;P GVFJQAJFINAIMFAO.... why does this have to happen to me????!!!!

In ICT we are starting Activity 3 soon - we are gonna have to make a wesbite for our Animal Shelter in Dreamweaver I think?... That's gonna be fun....

On Thursday for Chemistry we are going to be doing our ISA practical - which sucks because our teacher only told us like last minute...

Then on Friday we are going to be doing our Section 1 paper for Physics on Friction, I will have to do a bit of background research so I know how to explain my hypothesis in the exam! I'm a bit scared but hopefully everything should be fine, because my Physics teacher said mines fine.

By the end of the week I am aiming to have:

started revision for all three sciences (by that I mean typing my notes on Unit 3 content),

started revision for my Level 3 Algebra exams, started revision for GCSE Mocks in December,

started revision for English Literature and read through my Language book,

start to copy out my notes from my poetry book into the anthology book to make it easier for me when it comes to revision,

start learning a lot of vocab for my French tests coming up in the coming weeks in preparation for my mocks.

I will be making a weekly revision timetable very very very very soon, probably on Wednesday? I have a surprise English test also coming up so wooo!!!! So excited (hahahaha....haha...ha....). I will make sure I post the timetable every Monday on here so everyone can see and I will do little updates with some photos of what I've done on Friday and Monday (if I have done a significant amount of work that is!).

Have a great week everyone :smile:
Update 25/09/16

Just realised I forgot to do an update I'm so sorry omg!!!

History CA write-up is now completed, I do not need to do anything else, I am now moving on to Task 2 with four more different sources.

For French we have some other test next week, apparently some practice test for mocks so :/ I'm not really prepared for that.

Geography was postponed for this week!!! I will have to revise because I think it's tomorrow, I will just read my notes and CGP guide I guess since there are other more important stuff I need to do.

I haven't started my Unit 3 notes for sciences yet. REMINDER: NEED TO START DOING NOTES BY THE END OF THIS WEEK.

I did my Physics ISA on Friday and it went okay I guess - I did ask the teacher to check one of my explanations for my hypothesis but he didn't bother checking it :frown: So I had to go with a different explanation just to be safe - I do not want to experiment with my marks no thanks lol.

That's about it! I did make a timetable for last week but it didn't work so tomorrow I'm going to make a new one for the week and post it on here so you can all see it! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending