The Student Room Group

I really need help! 18 y/o moving out of home ASAP!

I'm 18 years old and I live in the south east of England, but I want to move further up north, to Birmingham ideally (because everything's cheaper up north). I don't want to go to uni, but work and rent out a place. I recently quit a job I had, plus I'm lucky to also have a lot of savings that I have easy access to (though this money is supposed to be for when I buy a house of my own). I've been looking at bedsits because I hear they're cheaper, and I don't need much space anyway.

I've thrown the idea around of moving out to my mum, but haven't told her straight that this is what I definitely want to do, yet she doesn't seem pleased with the idea. I know she'll be upset and/or angry when I tell her. She knows that I don't want to go to uni and is okay with it, just so long as I can get a well paid job with promotion opportunities. She also has a friend who lives in Birmingham that I could possibly stay with?

Could I get some advice please? I'm willing to use a couple of grand from my savings to get me started off until I can find a job and settle down, but will landlords let me rent a place out if I don't have a job yet? (I'm not on benefits or anything.) Should I look for a job first and find a place near the work or vice versa? I don't have a car nor a license, though I'm currently learning how to drive. Is this even a good idea? Any advice is helpful please!
Original post by princesspoopie
I'm 18 years old and I live in the south east of England, but I want to move further up north, to Birmingham ideally (because everything's cheaper up north). I don't want to go to uni, but work and rent out a place. I recently quit a job I had, plus I'm lucky to also have a lot of savings that I have easy access to (though this money is supposed to be for when I buy a house of my own). I've been looking at bedsits because I hear they're cheaper, and I don't need much space anyway.

I've thrown the idea around of moving out to my mum, but haven't told her straight that this is what I definitely want to do, yet she doesn't seem pleased with the idea. I know she'll be upset and/or angry when I tell her. She knows that I don't want to go to uni and is okay with it, just so long as I can get a well paid job with promotion opportunities. She also has a friend who lives in Birmingham that I could possibly stay with?

Could I get some advice please? I'm willing to use a couple of grand from my savings to get me started off until I can find a job and settle down, but will landlords let me rent a place out if I don't have a job yet? (I'm not on benefits or anything.) Should I look for a job first and find a place near the work or vice versa? I don't have a car nor a license, though I'm currently learning how to drive. Is this even a good idea? Any advice is helpful please!

No estate agency will let you sign a contract with them until you have a job that pays enough for you to afford rent+bills. Sorry :frown:
Original post by AnnaRainbows
No estate agency will let you sign a contract with them until you have a job that pays enough for you to afford rent+bills. Sorry :frown:

So I should land a job first then. However, not all landlords are with an agency right? But thanks nonetheless!!
So I should land a job first then. However, not all landlords are with an agency right? But thanks nonetheless!!

It's true, but it's very unsafe to rent a place with a landlord 'casually' as it's not very secure. And yes, you should get a job first and then look around for places you can rent :smile: also, sometimes it takes a month to get permission to move into the new place due to tenancy agreements, so potentially you'd have to be living somewhere nearby prior to moving in to the new place; it's gets very complicated with estate agencies but if you manage to get a place without one then I don't see why that would be a bad idea :smile: Good luck!
Reply 4

You want to buy your own house. You need a lot of money for that. Even if that house is "up north", it still won't cost a fiver. Even if you were to get a job up north, you would have to bear in mind that pay may be lower simply because of the lower cost of living. You need a very well paying job to even think about buying property. Many young people find themselves trapped keeping up with expensive rent, so that they couldn't even dream of buying property.

So some advice. Go and get skilled in something. You don't have to go to university. But perhaps go to college, or look into apprenticeships. Get skilled in something. Then when you're working and getting a good income, you'll be able to save money for a deposit (probably with the help of your parents and/or "first-time buyer" schemes) and think about moving out.
Original post by Pride
You want to buy your own house. You need a lot of money for that. Even if that house is "up north", it still won't cost a fiver. Even if you were to get a job up north, you would have to bear in mind that pay may be lower simply because of the lower cost of living. You need a very well paying job to even think about buying property. Many young people find themselves trapped keeping up with expensive rent, so that they couldn't even dream of buying property.
So some advice. Go and get skilled in something. You don't have to go to university. But perhaps go to college, or look into apprenticeships. Get skilled in something. Then when you're working and getting a good income, you'll be able to save money for a deposit (probably with the help of your parents and/or "first-time buyer" schemes) and think about moving out.

Thanks, I understand what you're saying. I just finished sixth form, and even before I went I was applying for apprenticeships in everything, but none of them replied. 'Something' is rather vague, skills can also be picked up while working. However, I feel as if moving out is my only option - buying a house is way out of my league right now, and I have plenty of years to work on that, right now I just want to rent a place. The only reason I have access to my savings is for a first time buyers scheme. I understand it's not much, but it's there.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest