The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Business at lancaster?

anyone do management/business/accounting at lancaster, what is it like? do you like it?
Fam come to Lancaster for the bants anyway let's be buds
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by AlexLawrence1453
Fam come to Lancaster for the bants anyway let's be buds

ill try mate
I do accounting and finance. Going into 2nd year in October :smile:

edit: Yeah its great. Very nice campus and the department is fantastic. Ill list a few main points for you :smile:

- Great range of modules. You can really tailor your degree to your interests.
- Plenty of Opportunities for group work, if that is what you like.
- Staff are extremely supportive and engaging.
- Well respected university and an extremely well respected management school.

I would say I do like it, I must say its a lot of work compared to lower universities but i guess that is expected :smile: Looking forward to going back :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Yellow2914

edit: Yeah its great. Very nice campus and the department is fantastic. Ill list a few main points for you :smile:

I would say I do like it, I must say its a lot of work compared to lower universities but i guess that is expected :smile: Looking forward to going back :biggrin:

how good are you at maths/how much maths is involved? i don't do a level maths but got A at gcse and everyone is saying ill struggle

How many lectures did you have per week? Also, did you find the work to be really difficult?
Original post by Rainbowcorn
how good are you at maths/how much maths is involved? i don't do a level maths but got A at gcse and everyone is saying ill struggle

I did AS maths and got an A and I found it very easy.

Accounting - very basic maths, dont worry about it.
Economics (compulsory for AcF students) - bit more maths, about AS level.
Finance - Basic maths, again don't worry about it.

The university puts on a lot of help for students. If you turn up to all of the maths lectures you will find it easy. Many people skipped these lectures as they had done AS/A2 maths.

If you are still struggling, you can go to MASH, maths stats help, and they will give extra guidance.

tldr; Not that bad, if you try. The university is very good lol.
Original post by SP1234321
How many lectures did you have per week? Also, did you find the work to be really difficult?

If your doing AcF then you will have:

Lectures - As you can guess, you sit in front of a lecturer who teaches you stuff lol
Workshops - You do work yourself, a lot like a high school class room.
Tutorials - You do work independently and go through it as a class, bit like homework then a lesson about the homework.

Don't quote me on this, as i have forgotten the exact number, but i think i had 5 lecturer, 1 workshop and 1 tutorial for each module. I took 3 modules.

The work was fairly easy, i put a lot more effort into my first year than most however. I finished with 88% average. Id probably put the difficult at around AS. I found first term to be like GCSE, second term like AS and final bit of second term like A2.

Hope this helps! You will enjoy your time at Lancaster, stop stressing :smile:
Reply 8
I did AS maths and got an A and I found it very easy.

Accounting - very basic maths, dont worry about it.
Economics (compulsory for AcF students) - bit more maths, about AS level.
Finance - Basic maths, again don't worry about it.

The university puts on a lot of help for students. If you turn up to all of the maths lectures you will find it easy. Many people skipped these lectures as they had done AS/A2 maths.

If you are still struggling, you can go to MASH, maths stats help, and they will give extra guidance.

tldr; Not that bad, if you try. The university is very good lol.

ah you're brilliant at maths then! Im not doing maths a level but i got an A in gcse and C in gcse further maths (granted i didnt revise etc and in class only spent about 3 weeks on it, however i did find it very hard) Ah thats good to know as a lot of people on here have said don't bother as its very hard (maths orientated)
thank you :smile:
Original post by Rainbowcorn
ah you're brilliant at maths then! Im not doing maths a level but i got an A in gcse and C in gcse further maths (granted i didnt revise etc and in class only spent about 3 weeks on it, however i did find it very hard) Ah thats good to know as a lot of people on here have said don't bother as its very hard (maths orientated)
thank you :smile:

No don't worry at all about the maths.

Mind you I have only completed first year, ill let you know how hard second year is hahaha.
No don't worry at all about the maths.

Mind you I have only completed first year, ill let you know how hard second year is hahaha.

Have you chosen to do the year in industry? Which would you recommend
Original post by SP1234321
Have you chosen to do the year in industry? Which would you recommend

Yes I have chosen to do the year in industry. I don't pretend to be an expert though, so idk if you should do industry or not. For me, i see it as a good way to get experience and a graduate job, but many would argue finishing the degree a year earlier and going into work is easier and just as good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending