The Student Room Group

PS4...PRO!!!

Hi everyone, sony had a press conference today and the big takeaways are there will be 2 new ps4s: the ps4 slim and...the ps4 pro (aka ps4 neo).

the best news is both consoles are out 10th november this year! the pro is £349.
in addition to this, all ps4s will get a firmware update next week enabling HDR for all current and future ps4s. furthermore, all exisiting games will receive updates for hdr in the future and some to enable 4k gameplay. speaking of which, the pro is a 4k games console.

so everyone, please comment on your views, if your getting one, etc.

Scroll to see replies

So, why isn't this considered ninth gen?

I won't get one unless there is an exclusive game for the pro that won't come out on PS4 original, that I really want.
Original post by NotNotBatman

I won't get one unless there is an exclusive game for the pro that won't come out on PS4 original, that I really want.

i think its because it is more or less the same console minus upgraded hardware. that being said I do remember rumblings before the ps4 came out hinting at upgradable GPUs and looks like they were semi right. I will say however that you need to look at the games on the pro vs regular 4: the pro is easily the better console.

whilst i myself am not a xbox fan, I will admit windows 10 and project scorpio is extremely interesting (add to that the potential of the surface phone...if it doesnt get cancelled, then microsoft could potentially have 2 truly gamechanging products).
Where are the PC Master Race snarky comments?

PS4 Pro sounds pretty decent ngl. 4K? About tiimee!
I just want a cheaper ps4 slim. I don't even have a 1080p tv, and won't be upgrading to 4K for a while :lol:
Original post by Carpe Diem Jay

it could be because the gpus are polaris based (ie amds current tech vs the outdated tech used for ps4). sadly the "master race" will probably be going on about 1080s, 1070s and titan x's but who cares tbh.

as it is anyways, microsoft seems to be about convergence these days so there is a good chance scorpio could be an all in 1 pc (as it is, they seem adamant on making their highend phones turn your tv into pc terminals whilst allowing you to use your phone as a phone) so there is a chance the master race will end up being xbox fans.
Original post by Lord Samosa
I just want a cheaper ps4 slim. I don't even have a 1080p tv, and won't be upgrading to 4K for a while :lol:

same here regarding getting a 4k tv. I might get one for my room but it depends on a few factors. 1 thing is for certain I need more than 1 hdmi port and usb ports
Original post by quasa
i think its because it is more or less the same console minus upgraded hardware. that being said I do remember rumblings before the ps4 came out hinting at upgradable GPUs and looks like they were semi right. I will say however that you need to look at the games on the pro vs regular 4: the pro is easily the better console.

whilst i myself am not a xbox fan, I will admit windows 10 and project scorpio is extremely interesting (add to that the potential of the surface phone...if it doesnt get cancelled, then microsoft could potentially have 2 truly gamechanging products).

Don't all games have to be made for the original ps4 anyway? I'm not sure if it's worth upgrading, but it does come with an improved CPU and loading times are one of the most important things for me.
Don't all games have to be made for the original ps4 anyway? I'm not sure if it's worth upgrading, but it does come with an improved CPU and loading times are one of the most important things for me.

yes and no...by the looks of it all games are ps4 games but the newer ones may be made with the pro in mind.

regarding CPU it is definitely better. loading times, it depends on a multitude of factors but assuming it is just the cpu and gpu that is different, then loading times should be reduced
Original post by quasa
same here regarding getting a 4k tv. I might get one for my room but it depends on a few factors. 1 thing is for certain I need more than 1 hdmi port and usb ports

The thing is, if I get a 4K tv, I'd only buy a really good one to get the best out of it. I'd rather save all that money and buy a decent HD tv that can at least play 1080p.

I reckon proper 4K gaming will be for the next gen.
Original post by Lord Samosa
The thing is, if I get a 4K tv, I'd only buy a really good one to get the best out of it. I'd rather save all that money and buy a decent HD tv that can at least play 1080p.

I reckon proper 4K gaming will be for the next gen.

judging by the rate of progress, there isa good chance this will be thelast or the penultimate console system before mainstream ar /vr / unified divices (ie console does work and play stuff)

1) The only thing that's really different is upscaling a 1080p game to a 4k one :s
2) There will be no exclusives. Every game being released from here on out will play on both the Pro and Base model
Hell, I just wish instead of telling devs to target 4k, Sony at least told them to have an option for 1080p60 with better graphics if you want it. At 4k we're going to see compromises in framerate and/or graphics. 4 teraflops just doesn't cut it.
Original post by ChrisD0
Hell, I just wish instead of telling devs to target 4k, Sony at least told them to have an option for 1080p60 with better graphics if you want it. At 4k we're going to see compromises in framerate and/or graphics. 4 teraflops just doesn't cut it.

I believe the ps4 tomb raider game comes with an option for 1080p60fps on the pro. Sony is basically saying "the power is there, use it how you see fit" to devs, and it's their choice as to what variety of gameplay settings they give people
Original post by Another
I believe the ps4 tomb raider game comes with an option for 1080p60fps on the pro. Sony is basically saying "the power is there, use it how you see fit" to devs, and it's their choice as to what variety of gameplay settings they give people

I certainly hope devs take the initiative. It would have been better for Sony to instill this requirement officially. Maybe I'll get to be CEO of a games console making company one day...

If the CPU is the bottleneck on loading speed you won't be playing games on it.
Original post by Carpe Diem Jay

Sat looking how much cheaper you can get the same thing with greater flexibility :tongue:
Original post by Jammy Duel
If the CPU is the bottleneck on loading speed you won't be playing games on it.

huh? I thought it was the CPU and hard drive that determine loading times.
Cue the thousands of people buying a PS4 Pro because they want to play games in 4K, even though it won't actually play games in 4K.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Sat looking how much cheaper you can get the same thing with greater flexibility :tongue:

Nope, consoles kick pc ass when looking at price to performance.
An i3-6100 coupled with a 750ti and 8Gb Ram ties a PS4 whilst costing well more. Don't forget a clean copy of Windows costs like £90.

Quick Reply

Latest