The Student Room Group

Struggling to get a girlfriend

Attachment not found
Girls opinions please! (Im on the right!) I'm just wondering if I look attractive. As I'm 23 and struggling to get one. And if I don't look attractive what could I improve on.
Have you tried online dating? There are many online dating websites.

I can't see your image.

Also you could try speed dating, meeting someone through uni/work, meeting someone through your family or friends, joining clubs or approaching women.

Be your best self, go to the gym, dress nice, smell nice, groom well. Be easygoing, have a good personality, be sociable.

It could be about what your behaviours or what you project, are you a confident guy?

What are your sticking points, if any? Are you good at talking to women?
Just get married.
Girlfriends are a waste of time and money.
Women can smell the desperation coming from you so to remedy that you need to not give the slightest duck what they think about you and just try your luck and improve steadily, best way to do this is to always talk to at least three girls at once, two bare minimum, if you only talk to one they will feel that you have no other choices and your a loser so don't let them get a whiff of that impression.
Despite what women like to say about personality and such the truth is most of them are incredibly shallow, its all about looks, muscles and charisma. Your interests and hobbies will either be neutral or a negative, rarely ever a positive so improve those three things and get out there.
Reply 4
Original post by Carthaginian
Just get married.

and so is marriage is you end up getting divorced
Reply 5
Attachment doesn't work. If you're ugly try switching off from the 'looking for a girlfriend' frame of mind. You'll meet someone when you least expect it. I'd say I'm ugly as sin but I met someone earlier this year without really trying, it just sort of unfolded. She's well out of my league, too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Carthaginian
Just get married.

How exactly do you go about skipping the girlfriend part? Paying a ton of money to marry someone you barely got to know then getting divorced? Now that sounds like a waste of time and money
Reply 7
Original post by Portgas.D.Grade

Despite what women like to say about personality and such the truth is most of them are incredibly shallow, its all about looks, muscles and charisma. Your interests and hobbies will either be neutral or a negative, rarely ever a positive so improve those three things and get out there.

So untrue! If a person doesn't have interests, the first date falls flat and nothing develops.
Sure, getting a date initially does have emphasis on charisma and looks to some extent- but there's no point in that if there isn't going to be any connection.

OP, don't change yourself in search of a partner. Be comfortable with who you are, and the right person will come along.
Original post by Ezme39
So untrue! If a person doesn't have interests, the first date falls flat and nothing develops.
Sure, getting a date initially does have emphasis on charisma and looks to some extent- but there's no point in that if there isn't going to be any connection.

OP, don't change yourself in search of a partner. Be comfortable with who you are, and the right person will come along.

Ignore this, change yourself as much as possible and by that I mean improve yourself physically, mentally and socially to be the best possible thing you can be, The right person mentality is a defeatist attitude and an entitled attitude that a woman will just fall in your lap when you hit 30 and have a decent job, if she does though she's probably a gold digger so watch out lol.
Reply 9
Ignore this, change yourself as much as possible and by that I mean improve yourself physically, mentally and socially to be the best possible thing you can be, The right person mentality is a defeatist attitude and an entitled attitude that a woman will just fall in your lap when you hit 30 and have a decent job, if she does though she's probably a gold digger so watch out lol.

You are suggesting that women are out to get the finest human being, without regard for their compatibility...
When I meet a guy, I'm not evaluating him to such an unhealthy extent as that, and I really don't know anyone who would.
Some people find shy guys cute. Some don't go for the muscular look. Some genuinely aren't fussed if a person is knowledgeable or not. There is no 'perfect man', so it is impossible to aspire to be one.
If anything, being 'better' is perusing your own idea of who you should be, and in essence being more like yourself- and does not really match up to what a potential partner may actually consider 'better'.
Original post by Ezme39
You are suggesting that women are out to get the finest human being, without regard for their compatibility...
When I meet a guy, I'm not evaluating him to such an unhealthy extent as that, and I really don't know anyone who would.
Some people find shy guys cute. Some don't go for the muscular look. Some genuinely aren't fussed if a person is knowledgeable or not. There is no 'perfect man', so it is impossible to aspire to be one.
If anything, being 'better' is perusing your own idea of who you should be, and in essence being more like yourself- and does not really match up to what a potential partner may actually consider 'better'.

What if the guys incredibly ugly? incredibly insecure? fat? a twig? a combination of all? even more things?
Girls dont date downwards only guys do, the ugly guys at the bottom get nothing whilst chasing for the ugly girls who would rather be used and chucked by average guys and have cats then be serious with guys of their own level. Exceptions exist all the time but your working under the assumption that op looks like an average guy but just shy or something and if thats the case sure loads of ugly girls would marry him. I'm saying improve your own standing. Self improvement is always good. People treat you better when you look better same for relationships.
Reply 11

Girls dont date downwards only guys do

Disagree :smile:
I mean, I've had a lot of people say that my previous boyfriends have been much less attractive (obviously I disagree anyway)- and I think the same of other couples. It's all perception
Original post by Ezme39
Disagree :smile:
I mean, I've had a lot of people say that my previous boyfriends have been much less attractive (obviously I disagree anyway)- and I think the same of other couples. It's all perception

Exceptions exist and a guys value is more then looks, social status, charisma and other stuff are in play to when it comes to attraction
Original post by Matty2993
Attachment not found
Girls opinions please! (Im on the right!) I'm just wondering if I look attractive. As I'm 23 and struggling to get one. And if I don't look attractive what could I improve on.

You sound annoyingly desperate. This translates in girl tongue to "Get the hell out of my face" literally.

Best of luck with your quest!
Original post by Matty2993
Attachment not found

2 things
be wealthy and just look like you are and if you can manage to do both
don't actively look for a girl as desperation is a foul stench
then you have your pick of women
sincerely the average guy with a used Mercedes, 2 Rolexes and a kilo of gold at 21

Quick Reply