The Student Room Group

PGDE Applications 2017 (Scotland)

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys! How important do you think it is to apply on the day the applications open?
Not very. I got told as long as it's in by like end of October-mid November is a good time :smile:
Original post by Danzypoo92
Not very. I got told as long as it's in by like end of October-mid November is a good time :smile:

Thanks! :smile:

I just called UWS and Strathclyde. UWS said the same thing, that they would recommend getting it in before Christmas and that November is fine. Strathclyde said they give equal consideration to all applications received before January.

I'm thinking of applying in October so I can have a good few weeks of school experience behind me and will have been at the Scottish Learning Festival to get a better idea of the current issues in teaching.
Original post by Millipede2013
Thanks! :smile:

I just called UWS and Strathclyde. UWS said the same thing, that they would recommend getting it in before Christmas and that November is fine. Strathclyde said they give equal consideration to all applications received before January.

I'm thinking of applying in October so I can have a good few weeks of school experience behind me and will have been at the Scottish Learning Festival to get a better idea of the current issues in teaching.

Ah perfect! That's exactly what I was thinking! :smile: do you happen to have the link for that festival? I was looking at it a couple weeks ago but completely forgot to bookmark it.
Ah perfect! That's exactly what I was thinking! :smile: do you happen to have the link for that festival? I was looking at it a couple weeks ago but completely forgot to bookmark it.

Here you go :smile: http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/slf/

Some of the seminars are already full but there are still lots of good ones left.
Here you go :smile: http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/slf/

Some of the seminars are already full but there are still lots of good ones left.

Cool thank you! Are you attending any of the seminars?
Cool thank you! Are you attending any of the seminars?

Yeah I can only go to the first day because of work but I'll be going to 'The cost of the school day: promoting excellence and equality through tackling financial barriers to participation' 'Mentors in violence prevention: leadership in action' and 'Learning for sustainability, leadership and school improvement'. What about you? :smile:
Yeah I can only go to the first day because of work but I'll be going to 'The cost of the school day: promoting excellence and equality through tackling financial barriers to participation' 'Mentors in violence prevention: leadership in action' and 'Learning for sustainability, leadership and school improvement'. What about you? :smile:

Oh those sound really good! Well I wasn't really sure what I was looking for so I just registered for the day and didn't book any seminars thinking I could go back and book them but I don't think I can online now and will have to wait till the day lol...
Hi, I am thinking of applying for 2017 too but really want some advice. I called UWS to check if my grades are okay because I only got a higher C in English and SG 3 in Maths, and their website says they prefer higher B and credit 1 or 2. The person I spoke to said they would still consider me because I have an honours in Social Science and to still apply for 2017, but I am quite nervous because it says they prefer applicants with the higher English and Math grades.Do yous think I should look in to resitting these exams first or should I apply and see what happens? I will have good experience in volunteering in a primary school 3 days a week with supported learning units and a big focus on autism so I'm hoping this experience will aid my application, but very nervous that my school grades are going to pull me back. Thank you for any advice
Original post by amyrosey92
Hi, I am thinking of applying for 2017 too but really want some advice. I called UWS to check if my grades are okay because I only got a higher C in English and SG 3 in Maths, and their website says they prefer higher B and credit 1 or 2. The person I spoke to said they would still consider me because I have an honours in Social Science and to still apply for 2017, but I am quite nervous because it says they prefer applicants with the higher English and Math grades.Do yous think I should look in to resitting these exams first or should I apply and see what happens? I will have good experience in volunteering in a primary school 3 days a week with supported learning units and a big focus on autism so I'm hoping this experience will aid my application, but very nervous that my school grades are going to pull me back. Thank you for any advice

There's no harm in applying I think you should go for it and just make sure you do an amazing personal statement. I've been told by numerous people that experience and your statement is super important. I've know people with only a higher C who have still gotten in. I've also only gotten a higher C at English and I'm currently sitting my nat 5 maths. I know that for maths however the minimum is standard grade 1 or 2, intermediate 2 C or national 5 at a B. So it'll probably be worth looking in to maybe resorting your maths :smile: I'm literally just doing it as a night class. There's a PGDE 2017 entry on fb too if you wanna join :smile:
There's no harm in applying I think you should go for it and just make sure you do an amazing personal statement. I've been told by numerous people that experience and your statement is super important. I've know people with only a higher C who have still gotten in. I've also only gotten a higher C at English and I'm currently sitting my nat 5 maths. I know that for maths however the minimum is standard grade 1 or 2, intermediate 2 C or national 5 at a B. So it'll probably be worth looking in to maybe resorting your maths :smile: I'm literally just doing it as a night class. There's a PGDE 2017 entry on fb too if you wanna join :smile:

Thank you so much =] I would like to join I'll look it up just now, so helpful thank you. I think the only place that accepts SG3 in maths is UWS because I spoke to them on the phone and they said they would, but at the same time if someone applies with a credit 1 they'd be happier to take them. I'll look in to sitting Nat 5 maths :smile:
Original post by amyrosey92
Thank you so much =] I would like to join I'll look it up just now, so helpful thank you. I think the only place that accepts SG3 in maths is UWS because I spoke to them on the phone and they said they would, but at the same time if someone applies with a credit 1 they'd be happier to take them. I'll look in to sitting Nat 5 maths :smile:

No problem love! :smile: oh really?! They're 1 of my choices too and I currently have an Int 1 A for maths so it's reassuring that hope won't be totally lost if I fail my nat 5 maths lol
Reply 32
Hi there I am really wanting to apply to glasgow uni, Strathclyde and uws I have higher English at C But I'm a bit confused about my maths, for my sg I only got 4, I went on to do int 2 failed the overall exam cause I failed one nab, so I have 2 national units at level 5, I went on to do higher maths passed all my nabs so have 3 national units at level 6 but failed exam, and at college I did a numeracy national unit level 5 which I passed? Anyone able to shed any light on this as I'm confusing myself lol....
Reply 33
Won't you only get the certificates if you finish the maths course, including the exam? Rembering the hundreds of applicants the uni will get, can't you resit the exam, so you know then they won't overlook you due to your grades.
Reply 34
Original post by fjeff
Won't you only get the certificates if you finish the maths course, including the exam? Rembering the hundreds of applicants the uni will get, can't you resit the exam, so you know then they won't overlook you due to your grades.[/QUOte

I was just thinking the national units all passed at higher level would b a higher qualification than standard grade, but maybe im wrong I could look into re doing it asap , oh dear stressed now....
Reply 35
But have you got a physical certificate saying you've passed these maths courses or do you only get that after the exam? I only got a 4 for sg and i know i'll need to pass the national 5 maths as that's most of the places minimum requirements. There will be hundreds of applicants with the bare minimum requirements; they'll be sifting out the ones with the highest grades / best experience, etc.
Reply 36
Original post by fjeff
But have you got a physical certificate saying you've passed these maths courses or do you only get that after the exam? I only got a 4 for sg and i know i'll need to pass the national 5 maths as that's most of the places minimum requirements. There will be hundreds of applicants with the bare minimum requirements; they'll be sifting out the ones with the highest grades / best experience, etc.

Thanks for making this clear, all national 5 courses for maths have been snapped up i been calling about, phoned the unis im interested in and they said a gcse pass at B in maths would b accepted so am gonna do a course through ics and book exam myself to put my mind at ease. Will put on my application I am working towards the qualification. Im so sillly sometimes i didnt sleep from stressing and was at a school today like a zombie lol :s-smilie:
Reply 37
Original post by Avt109
Thanks for making this clear, all national 5 courses for maths have been snapped up i been calling about, phoned the unis im interested in and they said a gcse pass at B in maths would b accepted so am gonna do a course through ics and book exam myself to put my mind at ease. Will put on my application I am working towards the qualification. Im so sillly sometimes i didnt sleep from stressing and was at a school today like a zombie lol :s-smilie:

Let me know where you end up getting booked for maths. Argyll college have majorly ***** up my application for national 5 and now i can't get a place, after them promising me a place back in july.
it's annoying because there's an OU course that's the equivalent of a grade C, which would be fine down in England but not up here.
I looked into cloudlearn (i think it's called) but i grudge paying £400 for some handouts (which are probably all online anyway) and then another £100+ just to book and sit the exam. Do you have an exam centre near you?
Hi, I'm hoping to apply for 2017 too! I'm in the final year of my degree in London with a predicted 2:1 but I want to move to Scotland to do a PGDE in secondary school. My biggest concern is that although I have a lot of experience working with teenagers - I haven't got any experience in a classroom environment yet. It worries me that the application deadline is January 2017 and I have no teaching experience (well, I taught for a week in a primary school but that was 3 years ago!)
Reply 39
Hoping to apply for a PGDE for entry next year! I graduated in 2015 with a 2:1 and have been since working with a huge variety of ages of children and young people as an artist and volunteering as a Rainbow and Guide Leader. I'm getting some school experience in the next few weeks (just to make sure!) and hoping to apply for a Primary PGDE in October/November. Bit worried I don't have enough school experience, but I can only try!

Quick Reply

Latest