The Student Room Group

I'm such a terrible player. How to improve?

I'm an 18 year old guy who's loved football since I was a little kid. I played for a team from when I was 7 until I was 13-14, but I was such a terrible player, I was unfit, and I had no technique at all, and with all the bench-sitting and letting my team down on the occasions I played, I decided to quit.
I have remained a football fan since then, but barely touched a ball. However, after I started uni, I have made several friends who have far more playing experience and ability than me, who have gotten me interested in playing.

We have a weekly 5 a side kickabout in uni with about 20 lads, I tried coming along a couple of times last year, but my playing skills are totally embarrassing, I have no coordination, no ball control, my passing is terrible, I get nutmegged all the time, I can barely do a couple of uncontrolled keepie-uppies when I drop it from my hands, if I try to flick it from the ground, I have no chance at all.
However, now, they have goaded me into participating again this autumn, I feel I should as this is the lads I study, laugh and party with and they all get together for these kickabouts. I'm not really sure though whether it's the right place for me, some of the guys there have played as high as the higher non-leagues. Last time around nobody wanted to pass me the ball and I often ended up in goal as that's the only thing I'm reasonably good at.

I'd love to participate to have fun playing football with my friends, but I want to do improve my skills. I'm not sure what participating in these "kickabouts" will do to me, as the focus is obviously on playing and having fun, and most of the guys there have played football several times per week for somewhere around 15 years.

There are few, any clubs with organised, skill-development oriented trainings that fit me and my skill level, I could play Sunday League, but those teams don't train and the skill level and dirty play from many teams keeps me away.
I've tried juggling or "keepy-uppies", it looks so easy when you see someone who's good at it, but for me it's almost impossible. Any other ideas? It would most likely be just me practising on my own, keep that in mind 😛

I'd be extremely thankful for any tips!
Original post by zepenguin
I'm an 18 year old guy who's loved football since I was a little kid. I played for a team from when I was 7 until I was 13-14, but I was such a terrible player, I was unfit, and I had no technique at all, and with all the bench-sitting and letting my team down on the occasions I played, I decided to quit.
I have remained a football fan since then, but barely touched a ball. However, after I started uni, I have made several friends who have far more playing experience and ability than me, who have gotten me interested in playing.

We have a weekly 5 a side kickabout in uni with about 20 lads, I tried coming along a couple of times last year, but my playing skills are totally embarrassing, I have no coordination, no ball control, my passing is terrible, I get nutmegged all the time, I can barely do a couple of uncontrolled keepie-uppies when I drop it from my hands, if I try to flick it from the ground, I have no chance at all.
However, now, they have goaded me into participating again this autumn, I feel I should as this is the lads I study, laugh and party with and they all get together for these kickabouts. I'm not really sure though whether it's the right place for me, some of the guys there have played as high as the higher non-leagues. Last time around nobody wanted to pass me the ball and I often ended up in goal as that's the only thing I'm reasonably good at.

I'd love to participate to have fun playing football with my friends, but I want to do improve my skills. I'm not sure what participating in these "kickabouts" will do to me, as the focus is obviously on playing and having fun, and most of the guys there have played football several times per week for somewhere around 15 years.

There are few, any clubs with organised, skill-development oriented trainings that fit me and my skill level, I could play Sunday League, but those teams don't train and the skill level and dirty play from many teams keeps me away.
I've tried juggling or "keepy-uppies", it looks so easy when you see someone who's good at it, but for me it's almost impossible. Any other ideas? It would most likely be just me practising on my own, keep that in mind 😛

Practice bro never give up, in year 8 i could barely kick a ball, in year 9/10 i went astro turf everyday, and always got picked last but I improved i could shoot,free kicks,passes,penaltys, improved my weak foot. Playing with a group of 5 friends really helps. Now I am decent but my stamina and vision suck xD.

Also kick ups juggling i watched youtube vids and I ended up learning that way

Even if you struggle with keepy uppies you should still do them to build up ball control, you could also practise passies with a wall or partner to improve your touches and passing
PEDs
I played for a team from when I was 7 until I was 13-14

I can barely do a couple of uncontrolled keepie-uppies when I drop it from my hands, if I try to flick it from the ground, I have no chance at all.

These two bits are weird. You played for a team for about seven years as a child but you can't do kick ups? What the hell were they teaching you?

I want to do improve my skills

I've tried juggling or "keepy-uppies", it looks so easy when you see someone who's good at it, but for me it's almost impossible. Any other ideas?

At 18 I don't know if you can learn a natural feel for the ball, anyone who has grown up playing football will know what I'm saying here, by 11/12 you should have a dominant foot and a decent technique and control, it should feel as natural as controlling the ball with your hand when you touch the ball with your stronger foot.

My advice would be to do kick ups against a wall and learn to control the ball with both feet. Being able to play with both feet will give you a massive advantage over one footed players.

Quick Reply

Latest