The Student Room Group

Legs twice a week?

My current split looks like this, Day 1-Chest/Tris. Day 3- Shoulders. Day 4 Legs. Day 6- Back and Bis.

Could I potentially train my legs twice a week? Would they be recovered after 3-4 days rest?

Cheers boys
Why would you want to train legs a week:colone:

Idk it all depends, people.here will tell you to do stronglifts 5x5 which has squats 3x a week.

Personally with that split i would do legs once, as hamstrings help with OHP,deadlift, and bent over rows as well. If you do them right
If u do them properly u should be able to do anything else. Doing legs properly means destroying them and unless u are on gear or have money to buy top supplements, u will struggle to do more than one leg session to failure. Do CORE 2 times a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Legs twice a week is fine.

No abs?
Original post by Supersaps
Legs twice a week is fine.

No abs?

I do direct ab work at home 3-4 times a week and it only takes me about 10 minutes so forgot about writing it lol
Original post by SuperHuman98
Why would you want to train legs a week:colone:

Idk it all depends, people.here will tell you to do stronglifts 5x5 which has squats 3x a week.

Personally with that split i would do legs once, as hamstrings help with OHP,deadlift, and bent over rows as well. If you do them right

For legs I train in a pretty low rep range to develop strength and explosiveness, so hopefully I wouldn't end up with disproportional arms to legs lol. Tbh I don't do 'proper' squats as I prefer not to load my spine up, so I do one leg squats with dumbbells in either hand.
Your split looks a bit crap tbh mate. Why do you need a whole day for shoulders, yet the back, being a considerably more complex muscle group, gets tied with biceps? Pair shoulders with biceps if you're going for 1x per week frequency, back and legs should have their own day. In fact, if I'm doing this type of split I tend to train rear delts with back - they're a pulling muscle and work synergistically with the back muscles, so it makes sense to train them with your back rather than with the other two pushing muscles that make up the other heads of the shoulder area.

You can train everything twice a week. How often you train something should be balanced with volume. If you train a muscle once a week, you should be able to manage 3-4 exercises without issue. If, however, you're training the muscle twice a week, 1-2 exercises on that muscle per week is wise. Many splits, such as upper-lower type splits (my personal favourite) have you training every muscle about twice a week with 1-2 exercises per muscle in each session. So an average of 3-4 exercises per muscle per week is all that's needed, and more than that is likely overkill and might even hinder your recovery.
Remember, training a muscle is a damage-recover-grow process. Inhibiting recovery = inhibiting growth.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WoodyMKC
Your split looks a bit crap tbh mate. Why do you need a whole day for shoulders, yet the back, being a considerably more complex muscle group, gets tied with biceps? Pair shoulders with biceps if you're going for 1x per week frequency, back and legs should have their own day. In fact, if I'm doing this type of split I tend to train rear delts with back - they're a pulling muscle and work synergistically with the back muscles, so it makes sense to train them with your back rather than with the other two pushing muscles that make up the other heads of the shoulder area.

You can train everything twice a week. How often you train something should be balanced with volume. If you train a muscle once a week, you should be able to manage 3-4 exercises without issue. If, however, you're training the muscle twice a week, 1-2 exercises on that muscle per week is wise. Many splits, such as upper-lower type splits (my personal favourite) have you training every muscle about twice a week with 1-2 exercises per muscle in each session. So an average of 3-4 exercises per muscle per week is all that's needed, and more than that is likely overkill and might even hinder your recovery. Remember, training a muscle is a damage-recover-grow process. Inhibit the recovery = inhibiting the growth.

My logic was that as my biceps are being worked on back day I'll just destroy them on the same day, your suggestion does sound better tbf.

How did you fare with the upper-lower split results wise? I've been thinking about switching my routine up recently so might give it a go.

I do 12 sets per muscle per week (apart from bis and tris) so they currently have adequate recovery I feel, I do go HAM but my muscles feel fully recovered 24 hours after working them.
(edited 7 years ago)
@KingJamesIII

When im not doing stronglifts5x5 I do PushPullLegs rest push pull legs

Push is Chest Shoulders and Tris, Pull is back and biceps, legs is legs
I suggest you get an actual routine rather than that split. If you're interested in bodybuilding, look at the routine featured in the FAQ by Lyle McDonald
Original post by Angry cucumber
I suggest you get an actual routine rather than that split. If you're interested in bodybuilding, look at the routine featured in the FAQ by Lyle McDonald

Other than the advice Woody mentioned I feel my split/exercises are pretty solid, they've given me the results I've been looking for over the past 5 months, as I said though I am looking at switching it up so I'll take a look at that FAQ.
Original post by KingJamesIII
My logic was that as my biceps are being worked on back day I'll just destroy them on the same day, your suggestion does sound better tbf.

How did you fare with the upper-lower split results wise? I've been thinking about switching my routine up recently so might give it a go.

I do 12 sets per muscle per week (apart from bis and tris) so they currently have adequate recovery I feel, I do go HAM but my muscles feel fully recovered 24 days after working them.

Your biceps will get a fair bit of work on back day, but if you're training your back right then your biceps shouldn't be ****ed over just from training your back. Similar to how you're training your tris directly on one day, and then giving them a bit of light work again when you're training your shoulders :wink:

It's my favourite type of split, I got into it after about one year of training and, while I switch things up every so-often to stop things getting stale, it's always a mainstay. Lyle McDonald's Generic Bulking Routine is the best cookie-cutter upper/lower routine out there IMO. I think this type of split is better suited to natties as protein synthesis is only really elevated for a few days after training regardless of how much you batter the muscle in each session, whereas on the juice it's always elevated so destroying a muscle once a week is always going to work.

Sets per muscle per week bears little relevance really - you could do 5-6 half-arsed sets and be totally undertraining, whereas I for example favour the Dorian Yates 1-set-to-failure-and-beyond style of training and you can maximise your growth potential from one set per exercise (excluding warm-up sets) if the RPE (Rate of Perceived Effort) is high. On the other hand, I've also done runs of Vince Gironda style training with lots of sets per exercise and you might end up doing 20 sets per muscle each week, but where the intensity/RPE on each set is fairly low and the rests are short, you can do this many sets per week without overdoing it. Volume:RPE per set balance is everything.
Original post by KingJamesIII
My current split looks like this, Day 1-Chest/Tris. Day 3- Shoulders. Day 4 Legs. Day 6- Back and Bis.

Could I potentially train my legs twice a week? Would they be recovered after 3-4 days rest?

Cheers boys

I don't really like body-part splits, but I'll try and work within what you've got. It's entirely possible to train legs twice a week. I currently squat three out of four training sessions, using varying rep ranges.

I would put a high-rep day on day two or three (ideally two, but it depends if you can actually get to the gym then), working in the 8-10 rep range. I'd move shoulders to day three, and the second, lower rep day on day four, working in the 6-8 rep range.

Quick Reply

Latest