Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Still Looking for first year accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by h_ash08
Hi how dd you apply to HUU Homes? should i call them directly? I still dont have accommodation either!

Hey Ash did you apply for the private halls? if so you can ring hulls acoommodation and be allocated to HUU homes. There will be accommodation, so do not worry as i was on the same boat as you and stressed about it. The guy that sorts out the HUU homes is taking a while as he is trying to allocate the first years with the same (or similar courses)into houses.
(edited 7 years ago)
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by Ezpara
Hey Ash did you apply for the private halls? if so you can ring hulls acoommodation and be allocated to HUU homes. There will be accommodation, so do not worry as i was on the same boat as you and stressed about it. The guy that sorts out the HUU homes is taking a while as he is trying to allocate the first years with the same (or similar courses)into houses.

when you say private halls do you mean like Pacific court? in terms of Pacific court I did apply not having done research and now that I have I would much rather live in a house closer to the uni!
luckily my application has been sent to HUU homes so hopefully I hear back soon, how long did you wait to hear back from HUU? and have you got a house already?
Reply 22
might be a silly question but I'm actually confused, when does freshers actually start? I'm hearing different dates. Is the moving in date and start of freshers the same?
Original post by h_ash08
might be a silly question but I'm actually confused, when does freshers actually start? I'm hearing different dates. Is the moving in date and start of freshers the same?

Move in date is the 24th and that's when the fresher's events start too.
Reply 24
Original post by Nahimjustaworm
Move in date is the 24th and that's when the fresher's events start too.

thank you! have you been given accommodation in housing yet? also how long is freshers lasting?
Original post by h_ash08
thank you! have you been given accommodation in housing yet? also how long is freshers lasting?

Nah i'm still waiting on my accommodation. Got told by the Uni that there is no halls left, so gave them my preference of Uni managed house, HUU house or Pacific Court. I went for Uni managed house but they said they're all full, so they have referred my application to HUU. Hopefully they'll get back to me soon...

Regarding freshers I think move in date is 24th for every first year and events go on for about 3 weeks, but courses actually start (introductory lectures etc) on about the 26th.
Reply 26
Nah i'm still waiting on my accommodation. Got told by the Uni that there is no halls left, so gave them my preference of Uni managed house, HUU house or Pacific Court. I went for Uni managed house but they said they're all full, so they have referred my application to HUU. Hopefully they'll get back to me soon...

Regarding freshers I think move in date is 24th for every first year and events go on for about 3 weeks, but courses actually start (introductory lectures etc) on about the 26th.

yeah exactly the same thing happened to me, how long have you been waiting to hear back?

Ahh okay thank you! didn't realise freshers lasted so long I still need to get my tickets and stuff
Original post by h_ash08
yeah exactly the same thing happened to me, how long have you been waiting to hear back?

Ahh okay thank you! didn't realise freshers lasted so long I still need to get my tickets and stuff

Been waiting for a few days now. What about you?

I haven't brought any tickets for freshers events tbh as I'd rather just see what my housemates are doing, so I don't know what events i'll be doing yet. Tbh I don't think there are that many special night out kinda things, lots of the events are societies fairs and things like that.
Reply 28
Been waiting for a few days now. What about you?

I haven't brought any tickets for freshers events tbh as I'd rather just see what my housemates are doing, so I don't know what events i'll be doing yet. Tbh I don't think there are that many special night out kinda things, lots of the events are societies fairs and things like that.

I got an email just this morning from kegxgill? I'm not sure if the uni forwarded by application to them because HUU were full I have no idea what's happened. they've offered me a contract but I wish they informed me they contacted another company. I've heard the name kegxgill thrown around here but don't know much else, please anyone let me know if you know anything!
Reply 29
oops! it's kexgill*
Reply 30
my mistake! my understanding now is that HUU don't just have their own houses but help you find a house somewhere else which explains why I heard back from kexgill. If anyone is offered a contract from there too let me know! we may be living in the same house
Reply 31
Original post by h_ash08
my mistake! my understanding now is that HUU don't just have their own houses but help you find a house somewhere else which explains why I heard back from kexgill. If anyone is offered a contract from there too let me know! we may be living in the same house

It depends on the address but Kexgill have just taken over a load of the student houses on Auckland Avenue around where I lived last year. They do have other accommodation elsewhere in the area though, so I guess there's a chance HUU are using them as an overflow of sorts, but if it's on Auckland Avenue that's probably the reason. I wouldn't worry about that either because Kexgill are pretty much the best landlord you can get in the private sector.

Also for anyone worried about Pacific court, one of my friends spent her first year in there and absolutely loved it.
Reply 32
Original post by Alzir
It depends on the address but Kexgill have just taken over a load of the student houses on Auckland Avenue around where I lived last year. They do have other accommodation elsewhere in the area though, so I guess there's a chance HUU are using them as an overflow of sorts, but if it's on Auckland Avenue that's probably the reason. I wouldn't worry about that either because Kexgill are pretty much the best landlord you can get in the private sector.

Also for anyone worried about Pacific court, one of my friends spent her first year in there and absolutely loved it.

yeah my house is on Auckland avenue do you know anything about the houses there? also when you say private sector do you mean that it's on private property like gated? thank you
Reply 33
Original post by h_ash08
yeah my house is on Auckland avenue do you know anything about the houses there? also when you say private sector do you mean that it's on private property like gated? thank you

The private sector just means it's a private company basically, rather than something public funded like the Uni. All it means though for people living there is that they'll pay Kexgill rather than the Uni, and maybe ask Kexgill for repairs etc I guess as well if needed instead of the accommodation office.

In terms of what they're like, I lived in quite a good one last year and been in quite a lot of the others since it's one section of street full of students (and therefore plenty of house parties), and while there's a bit of variety between them they're mostly alright in terms of space and furnishings. They have been student houses for years so you can expect the odd issue with the decor, but I really enjoyed my last year down there. It's also a good bit better than Cranbrook Avenue as you don't get as much traffic and, depending on where you are on the street, you'll probably be a little closer to the shops.

Hopefully you'll be as lucky as I was and get some good housemates, but even if you don't, you'll meet plenty of people from other houses and should have a great time.
Still haven't heard anything back. Will probably ring tomorrow if I don't hear anything.
Reply 35
Still haven't heard anything back. Will probably ring tomorrow if I don't hear anything.

any luck guys?
Original post by Ezpara
any luck guys?

Rang up and they said I'll get e-mailed a contract by a landlord early next week.
Reply 37
Rang up and they said I'll get e-mailed a contract by a landlord early next week.

im still waiting too!
Got emailed today. I'll be in 51 Wellesley Avenue

Quick Reply

Latest