The Student Room Group

Chinese airline warns passengers about London areas populated by Pakistanis & blacks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lawyer3c
I guess that's what he means by "British for the sake of formality" (your nationality is British, but not your ethnicity).

I think there are three forms of national identity:

1. Nationality
2. Ethnicity
3. Culture

Ultimately, if someone identifies and feels as though they are British/English, then I think they have every right to identify as such (even if they may not be "ethnically" English etc - who really is?).

I cannot make my mind up about you, sometime you really annoy me, other times you write perfectly logical and smart posts that I often completely agree with (such as this (except for the last 3 words)).
Original post by L'absurde
And one more thing, being British is to do with skin colour as well...sorry to say it. There are Somali people whose families have lived in the UK since the 30s, they're still Somali, end of.

With respect, tell that to Mo Farah - and perhaps a whole host of other Black athletes who win golds for Britain.

I'm genuinely not quite sure what qualifies others - like yourself - to dictate to other people what their identity is. Please enlighten me?
I'm not slow. I just don't have this false liberal perspective on things. :h:

I don't want to derail the thread, if you have anything to say to me then VM me.

You've seen my posts and understand my views, I've been quite clear. I don't know what you expect.

No you obviously are, because you can't or are unwilling to grasp the concept of nationalities. It's nothing to do with being an edgy right winger. You are by dictionary definition wrong.

I don't intend to change your view. I just wanted to point out your stupidity :h:

Original post by The_Opinion
The original origin is not really relevant. I am curious what you mean by "carry myself like a British woman". Also, people have the right to consider non-Britons to be not British, you may disagree and list arguments why you disagree, but it is potentially a valid point depending on the origins and logic of the theory.
There is no logic. I am by law a British citizen, thus British. No one has the right to tell me otherwise apart from a government authority. But by all means, deny me being English.

As in I hold British values
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tai Ga
Is this even shocking? Chinese people are racist as ****. Ironic when a lot of mainland China is a shithole.

How graceful. Did it slip your mind that they've spent the best part of 2000 years in revolution?

Some Chinese people, basically those of the older generation, might appear racist (and I guess they are by the sociological definition of it) but as ever there's more to it than that. The first problem is that because Han Chinese (the ethnic group that make up roughly 90% of Chinese citizens) are so densely populated in China, they don't have much regular contact with other races. Second, there is some cultural idea in China that white skin is somehow purer. In essence, I think that derives from traditional culture in which labourers found themselves exposed to the sun, hence with darker - more leathery - skin.

In my personal experience though, Chinese people are not racist at all. One aspect of their culture that we could learn a lot from is their ability to accept followers of Islam and engage with its culture (you can't go down many streets in Beijing without bumping into an Uyghur restaurant). Again, don't conflate their government with their people. Chinese people are actually very open minded.
Original post by Tai Ga

There is no logic. I am by law a British citizen, thus British. No one has the right to tell me otherwise apart from a government authority. But by all means, deny me being English.

As in I hold British values

There is a difference between legality and peoples beliefs / perceptions. Nobody has denied that British passport holders are legally British.

By the way, did you see my previous Amazon example?
About British identity and race: Can only Caucasians be British whereas ethnic minorities cannot be truly British? So how far do we have to go back to establish British identity? Normans, European immigrants from 19th Century, Asians from 1970s, British born Asians know only life in England.
Original post by Tai Ga
No you obviously are, because you can't or are unwilling to grasp the concept of nationalities. It's nothing to do with being an edgy right winger. You are by dictionary definition wrong.I don't intend to change your view. I just wanted to point out your stupidity :h:There is no logic. I am by law a British citizen, thus British. No one has the right to tell me otherwise apart from a government authority. But by all means, deny me being English. As in I hold British values

I understand the concept of nationality, does that mean I have to agree with it? No. Shocker!

Nice. Good luck with that. :h:

Can we not resort to emotional arguments please?I'm of the opinion that just because you live somewhere (and your family has for a few generations) and you have the passport of that country, let's say the UK, it doesn't make you British. Sure you're British for the sake of formality...but as I've said it's beyond that. A country has a racial identity. Just as I cannot move to Japan, have my family live there for generations and then they claim that they're Japanese. It doesn't work like that. A country has a history, a culture, an ethnicity etc.And it's just my opinion, there's no need for the outrage.

^^^

I don't deny you have a British passport, you can call yourself whatever you want. You do realise I am allowed to have an opinion even though you might disagree with it.

Original post by Paraphilos
With respect, tell that to Mo Farah - and perhaps a whole host of other Black athletes who win golds for Britain.

I'm genuinely not quite sure what qualifies others - like yourself - to dictate to other people what their identity is. Please enlighten me?

I don't get all this outrage. I am allowed to have an opinion, an opinion by the way, I plan on doing nothing with.

Sorry, I don't subscribe to this liberal idea that people are what they want to be. Sure, call yourself what you want. But the fact of the matter is that nationality doesn't mean you're a person from X. It's just a formality. The notion that anyone who comes to work and live in Britain can after some time become British is ridiculous. Like I said previously, every country has a racial identity, a culture, a language, a heritage etc Those things go beyond some document.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't get all this outrage. I am allowed to have an opinion, an opinion by the way, I plan on doing nothing with.

Sorry, I don't subscribe to this liberal idea that people are what they want to be. Sure, call yourself what you want. But the fact of the matter is that nationality doesn't mean you're a person from X. It's just a formality. The notion that anyone who comes to work and live in Britain can after some time become British is ridiculous. Like I said previously, every country has a racial identity, a culture, a language, a heritage etc Those things go beyond some document.

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion and it is an interesting one, even though I don't necessarily agree with it. My question was one of genuine curiosity. Assuming you do believe what you do however, you are surely content to revoke a certain number of gold medals from Britain in the Olympics, correct?

x

Boohoo no one said you weren't.

When you post controversial opinions don't expect people not to contest them. It's the internet.

You've done a swell job proving your ignorance/stupidity so congrats :woo:.
Original post by Tcannon
About British identity and race: Can only Caucasians be British whereas ethnic minorities cannot be truly British? So how far do we have to go back to establish British identity? Normans, European immigrants from 19th Century, Asians from 1970s, British born Asians know only life in England.

PRSOM.
No point getting triggered by threads like these ,
I am pretty sure there are dangerous areas in places like Beijing and Hangzhou where the populations are homogenous. Race and ethnicity has nothing to do with this. Is being British defined by colour? That would be barbaric.
Original post by Paraphilos
You're perfectly entitled to your opinion and it is an interesting one, even though I don't necessarily agree with it. My question was one of genuine curiosity. Assuming you do believe what you do however, you are surely content to revoke a certain number of gold medals from Britain in the Olympics, correct?

Oh alright. Sorry for being on the defensive.
No, of course not. Let them get golds or whatever, I don't care. (They earned the gold for being great athletes and working hard).
I'm just saying that at the core they're not actually British (in the full sense of the word, not just on paper).

Original post by Tai Ga
Boohoo no one said you weren't.When you post controversial opinions don't expect people not to contest them. It's the internet.You've done a swell job proving your ignorance/stupidity so congrats :woo:.
Sick ting. Have a nice evening. :h:
why didn't they warn about the White people?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by saran23
I am pretty sure there are dangerous areas in places like Beijing and Hangzhou where the populations are homogenous. Race and ethnicity has nothing to do with this. Is being British defined by colour? That would be barbaric.

You knowledge of China is clearly very poor.

Sick ting. Have a nice evening. :h:

Will do.

Might I suggest an evening activity that'll suit your needs

:h:
Original post by saran23

No, to be honest China has very little crime compared to Britain, Europe and the US.
Original post by Trapz99
No, to be honest China has very little crime compared to Britain, Europe and the US.

The benefits of having what is basically a mono-culture + a very small welfare state + tough prisons and sentencing.
Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 23.51.36.jpg

Perhaps if the Chinese learnt their history they'd realise that the UK is made up of more than just white British. Nobody seems to remember or appreciate the amount of Indian lives that were lost who fought for the United Kingdom during WW1/2
Original post by Hachik0
Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 23.51.36.jpgPerhaps if the Chinese learnt their history they'd realise that the UK is made up of more than just white British. Nobody seems to remember or appreciate the amount of Indian lives that were lost who fought for the United Kingdom during WW1/2
They were not British, they were Indian and Nepali, why don't you read your own sources?

Quick Reply

Latest