The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beulwis22
thanks man. i am just a bit nervous about this whole uni thing

Np and I'm so nervous as well but we can all get through this together :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WhatIsSleep
I'm definitely trying not to cram this year though I know I'll end up doing it :frown:That's true tbh I didn't really remember all of the revision I did for mocks when it came to AS exams, but I still feel like I should brush up on some year 12 content.

I'm glad the content is pretty basic but I feel like the application of it will be hard/they'll expect you to get 100% haha. And whoa, never? Damn, I'm wondering how you got all those A*s :wink: we have a silent area which is super helpful when I want to get stuff done, and sometimes I go to the library (Birmingham library is so nice omg)

Haha food poisoning is just another excuse to skip lectures :biggrin: And honestly I may just send an open application because I'd probably be pooled anyway (if I make it that far!) And St. Johns sounds so competitive, an extra test? No thanks :tongue: Though idk I kind of like the sound of the more traditional colleges, I think though some of their traditions may be annoying/odd haha

Ah good luck driving on the motorway haha, it seems scary. I only just started driving lessons and honestly it's harder than I thought though I know it'll get easier. I never fully considered Imperial before, but after looking at their prospectus and the league tables I'm starting to really like it.

I watched some of the first one and as I was reading comments there was one that said "skip to 25 mins to start learning" which was almost half the lecture haha (I agree, it was kind of slow). However, the lecturer is quite good, he makes little jokes which is nice and he speaks about chemcial engineering almost like it's magic.

School starts tomorrow and they said they'd email out timetables (WHICH THEY HAVEN'T) so I'm currently refreshing my email, still waiting. Hopefully they don't send them out at some ridiculous time haha

I think the only problem with the pre-interview assessment is the time. I've spent like 5 minutes on just one of the questions once and that's just not on especially as you've got about 25 minutes for each part of section 1. However, I think they said on the website that it'll be very good if you manage to answer half the questions so there is hope hahaha :smile: no I really have no idea how I got all the A*s either. I got the Physics remark back this morning as well. It went up from an A to a A* :party: so now I've got 4 A*s :redface:. Honestly, I think my friends genuinely hate me for it. Did I tell you, that the night before my FP3 and S2 exams cos they were on the same day, I went to one of my mate's 18th hahaha. Cos we had the exams right after each other, I ended up finishing my S2 exam with half an hour left and just slept for 30 mins before I had to do FP3. I think everyone in the exam hall were just staring at me including the invigilators hahaha. Funnily enough, S2 was pretty much the sole reason why I got an A* in FM. You live in Birmingham? (I think you've mentioned it before but it must have slipped my mind haha) I really love the place, it might just be 3rd option behind Cambridge and Imperial where originally it was going to be Bath.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with submitting an open application. Pretty much everyone ends up loving the college they end up in anyway. Yeah, St John's and Trinity are one of the top colleges in terms of competitiveness I think. Tho, I'm not the best at interviews so a written test might actually go in my favour hahaha. True haha, tho you never know when you might have to stick your more intimate parts into pigs :wink:

Learning to drive was a nightmare for me haha. I just couldn't get my head round how to do the manoeuvres. Like, I still don't understand the point of reversing round the corner... I really love the idea of living in London to study and just the sheer atmosphere of being near the centre of London. It'll be a no-brainer for me if it wasn't for Cambridge :redface: and that none of my friends are going there haha tho some have gone to London.

I think I'm preserve with the lectures closer to when I have to go to interviews - I'm gonna have to try settle into a routine these next few weeks seeing as I start work next week. How was your first day back?
I've decided to give Cambridge a shot (via Engineering)
I have an A* in Mathematics. I believe I will be predicted A*A*/A*A for Chemistry and Physics, based on my mock grades & possibly an A* for Further maths. But, not sure what college to apply for; Caius looks interesting though!
Just very worried about the pre-interview test. :frown:
Hi, I am a Chem Eng applicant too and the unis I am planning to apply to are

Cambridge (via Natural Sciences)
Imperial
Bath
Birmingham
and an undecided fifth option

I am considering to apply to UCL as my fifth choice as it is a really prestigious uni with high rankings and fame. However, rumour has it that its Chem Eng department is awful. I am quite stuck at the moment...does anyone here plan to include UCL as one of the Chem Eng choices? Or does anyone has some uni suggestions for my remaining choice?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ML8020

Imperial
Bath
Birmingham

I am considering to apply to UCL as my fifth choice as it is a really prestigious uni with high rankings and fame. However, rumour has it that its Chem Eng department is awful. I am quite stuck at the moment...does anyone here plan to include UCL as one of the Chem Eng choices? Or does anyone has some uni suggestions for my remaining choice?

I am putting UCL as my third choice due to prestige and I want to go into Investment banking after uni, so UCL would be ideal. The situation could get better there as obviously the student satisfaction for the course is awful and they will probably be aware of it. If you want to live in London, choose UCL, if not think about Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle (maybe not Newcastle).
Original post by ML8020

Imperial
Bath
Birmingham

i am thinking of applying to ucl as my first option as its the only london uni i could realistically get in (AAA). I know their department is sh*t but it could get better as they will know whats going on. I have decided to add loughborough as second option
Original post by timster32
I am putting UCL as my third choice due to prestige and I want to go into Investment banking after uni, so UCL would be ideal. The situation could get better there as obviously the student satisfaction for the course is awful and they will probably be aware of it. If you want to live in London, choose UCL, if not think about Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle (maybe not Newcastle).

i am thinking of applying to ucl as my first option as its the only london uni i could realistically get in (AAA). I know their department is sh*t but it could get better as they will know whats going on. I have decided to add loughborough as second option

I think I will apply to Warwick for Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering as my fifth option, the horribly low student satisfaction and subject ranking for UCL Chem Eng somehow terrifies me:s-smilie:

On the other hand manufacturing engineering appears to be a similar discipline to chem eng, both aim to turn raw materials into consumer goods so I am pretty interested in that as well. (Someone please correct me if this is wrong, I got this impression by simply looking into the wikipedia.:tongue:)

Warwick is also a high ranking uni alongside UCL (slight pity it's not within G5 though) with great reputation and the student satisfaction for this degree is very high too! Not to mention the entry requirements are just AAA with no interview needed...seems like a good option for my fifth.:smile:
Yeah I'm thinking about maybe applying to UCL, despite the bad rep it has on TSR. Is there a september open day? Could head down and meet with some of you guys if you want.
Original post by ML8020
I think I will apply to Warwick for Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering as my fifth option, the horribly low student satisfaction and subject ranking for UCL Chem Eng somehow terrifies me:s-smilie:

On the other hand manufacturing engineering appears to be a similar discipline to chem eng, both aim to turn raw materials into consumer goods so I am pretty interested in that as well. (Someone please correct me if this is wrong, I got this impression by simply looking into the wikipedia.:tongue:)

Warwick is also a high ranking uni alongside UCL (slight pity it's not within G5 though) with great reputation and the student satisfaction for this degree is very high too! Not to mention the entry requirements are just AAA with no interview needed...seems like a good option for my fifth.:smile:

i wish to stay in so london so may still put down UCL (stubborn i know). and idk much about mech eng tbh but chem eng is just basically what you said.
If it helps at all, my 5th option is going to be Tourism and Events Management at London Met :wink:
Original post by NeverLucky
If it helps at all, my 5th option is going to be Tourism and Events Management at London Met :wink:

That's some high standards right there :v

Posted from TSR Mobile

Queen Mary is in London and have started a chem eng course. You need AAB.:smile:
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
That's some high standards right there :v

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll have fun imagining their reaction when they see someone with 4 A*s applying. Obvious trolling needs to be done :wink:
Original post by NeverLucky
I'll have fun imagining their reaction when they see someone with 4 A*s applying. Obvious trolling needs to be done :wink:

Wow they'd probably stop everything and accept you right there just get all their staff to behold such a thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 214
I just did a summer school at UCL for chem eng and although I was well aware of their low satisfaction ratings, all the chem eng students I talked to said they enjoyed their degree. I talked to someone who just graduated and he said that he applied knowing the student satisfaction rating was low and that it isn't as bad as it seems. He stated that the ratings were from years ago and that the department have improved immensely since then!
So I'd definitely say visit on the open day and see for yourself if you want to apply :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by semise
I just did a summer school at UCL for chem eng and although I was well aware of their low satisfaction ratings, all the chem eng students I talked to said they enjoyed their degree. I talked to someone who just graduated and he said that he applied knowing the student satisfaction rating was low and that it isn't as bad as it seems. He stated that the ratings were from years ago and that the department have improved immensely since then!
So I'd definitely say visit on the open day and see for yourself if you want to apply :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Matt Munden???
Reply 216
Matt Munden???

Sorry, I don't know who that is. :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by semise
Sorry, I don't know who that is. :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha he was at a UCL Chemeng taster course with Headstart?
Reply 218
Aha he was at a UCL Chemeng taster course with Headstart?

Ooo, I didn't do it via Headstart, I did one directly hosted by UCL :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone!

I am an international student applying to UK universities for Chemical Engineering, and I am stuck between Manchester, Birmingham and Bath for my firm choice. Outisde of any rankings and league tables, I am asking YOU since you live in the UK and would be familiar with their reputation. Would someone recommend (preferably through experience) one of these universities to finalise my options? Also, I am curious as to whether the gap between all of them and Imperial for Undergraduate Chem Eng is huge or not. What matters most to me is international reputation and quality of academics. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending