The Student Room Group

going home every weekend from uni..

mmkkhhh
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bubblegumcat
Im starting my first year soon..anyways... I was so eager to start driving lessons so I started in April this year (dumb decision I know), unfortunately I had to take some breaks so I haven't learnt a lot so far, I don't wanna stop so I plan on coming home every weekend to have my driving lessons. After I get my license I'll probably stop coming home. Do a lot of students come home every weekend from uni? and if u do this, was it difficult in terms of work load?

(I live about 2 hrs away from home)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why not just switch to having lessons with an instructor local to your uni?
My uni (helpdesk) has details of a local driving instructor who does discounts for students. Tbf even if the charge is a bit more than at home you will still be paying more to go home every weekend
Original post by smashpopbang
Why not just switch to having lessons with an instructor local to your uni?
My uni (helpdesk) has details of a local driving instructor who does discounts for students. Tbf even if the charge is a bit more than at home you will still be paying more to go home every weekend

I'm not sure...id just much rather prefer to have the lessons and test done at home. Money isn't too much of an issue as my train tickets to and from home do not cost too much and I still have a decent amount left over, I'm just worried that I'll find the work load difficult

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just do them at uni like the other guy said. It's too long of a commute to do every weekend really and it's going to increase the effective cost of your driving lessons by quite a bit. In first year you also want to be at uni during the weekends as that's going to be your main bonding time with your flatmates.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Just do them at uni like the other guy said. It's too long of a commute to do every weekend really and it's going to increase the effective cost of your driving lessons by quite a bit. In first year you also want to be at uni during the weekends as that's going to be your main bonding time with your flatmates.

my main concern is about whether I'll be able to deal with the workload while travelling back and forth on the weekends..

Posted from TSR Mobile
my main concern is about whether I'll be able to deal with the workload while travelling back and forth on the weekends..

Posted from TSR Mobile

reserve table seats on the train, and plan to have work that you don't mind doing on the train on the weekends. Imo, you should be okay, it's only first year after all, shizz is generally pretty chill
Reply 6
Im starting my first year soon..anyways... I was so eager to start driving lessons so I started in April this year (dumb decision I know), unfortunately I had to take some breaks so I haven't learnt a lot so far, I don't wanna stop so I plan on coming home every weekend to have my driving lessons. After I get my license I'll probably stop coming home. Do a lot of students come home every weekend from uni? and if u do this, was it difficult in terms of work load?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apparently many students do go home, but I have been advised not to go home from uni at the weekends for the first 2 or 3 months, apparently it exacerbates home sickness which i'd rather not happen.
I cant see why you cant take lesson at Uni and if you want, have your test at home
Original post by MeeranB
reserve table seats on the train, and plan to have work that you don't mind doing on the train on the weekends. Imo, you should be okay, it's only first year after all, shizz is generally pretty chill

thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L33t
Apparently many students do go home, but I have been advised not to go home from uni at the weekends for the first 2 or 3 months, apparently it exacerbates home sickness which i'd rather not happen.

hmm I see :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moeeahmed
I cant see why you cant take lesson at Uni and if you want, have your test at home

fair point..i guess I'll have to find a new instructor

Posted from TSR Mobile
anymore responses pls?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your workload is unlikely to be so heavy that 4 hours a week on a train will be a big problem. The question is whether you will be able to get more work done at home or in your room in halls. Also, consider that you won't have access to the library at home on the weekend, and as others have already pointed out, it might have a negative impact on your social life.
anymore responses pls?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I say get driving lessons up in your uni town. If you go home every weekend, you'll struggle to bond with people, as a lot of social things happen at the weekend. If you have driving lessons in your uni town, you'll still be able to get involved with the social side of things, as well as save money on transport costs.
Original post by Schadenfreude65
Your workload is unlikely to be so heavy that 4 hours a week on a train will be a big problem. The question is whether you will be able to get more work done at home or in your room in halls. Also, consider that you won't have access to the library at home on the weekend, and as others have already pointed out, it might have a negative impact on your social life.

good point, I'll probably set up driving lessons near uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by super_kawaii
I say get driving lessons up in your uni town. If you go home every weekend, you'll struggle to bond with people, as a lot of social things happen at the weekend. If you have driving lessons in your uni town, you'll still be able to get involved with the social side of things, as well as save money on transport costs.

good point, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello :smile:,

It isn't uncommon at all for students to go home every weekend - I knew a few people that did just because they had work commitments or it made them comfortable so you could do it easily and balance your workload because you won't be driving all weekend so you'll have time to study as well.

However, as some people have said, you can just move to a different driving instructor in the local area. It'll be good for you because it'll give you experience of driving in a new area, more than likely a different car and be easier for you in the long run. I'd definitely have a look around to make a informed decision.

Good luck :biggrin:
Quite a few people do go home on weekends.
Reply 18
I went home every weekend and regret it looking back. The weekend was the time when my flatmates could chill out a bit instead of working and would go out together etc, I excluded myself from all this by going home and in turn was sort of the 'outcast' of the house. (I got along with them all dead well, but didnt feel as close to them as they were to eachother)
If you want friends then only do it once a month (if that). Don't be 'that' housemate who is Paul Lamb the invisible man.

Quick Reply

Latest