The Student Room Group

Further Mathematics in one year?

Scroll to see replies

There are quite a few in D1 - the topics are much better covered at uni where you can explore problems that really need the algorithms.
Original post by Melanierobertson
Oh my goodness that is crazy haha!! Were they doing A2's in 3 other subjects alongside the further maths as well?😳

Yes they did all of further maths Alevel in year 13 alongside 3 other alevels and so ended up with AAAA for AS cause they dropped Chem, and then for A*A*A*A* in the end hahah madness I know
Reply 22
I have self-taught (in a year) A level Further Maths and Further Additional Maths achieving A* grades in both. So if you're asking if it's possible there's your answer. :smile:
Original post by mubmoh
I have self-taught (in a year) A level Further Maths and Further Additional Maths achieving A* grades in both. So if you're asking if it's possible there's your answer. :smile:

How did you find this? Did it take up a lot of your time? Would it manageable with a job? Congrats aswell! :smile:
Original post by mubmoh

Congrats! 😊 How did you manage your time and roughly how many hours a day/ week did you spend on further maths? What further maths modules did you take?

Thankyou
My school does the full A-level maths in year 12 and we took: C1-C4, M1 and S1
I got an A with 500 UMS overall and 90 in c3 and 76 in c4 (oops).
So I'm retaking c4 for an A*
As well as taking the full further maths in a year studying and taking these modules:
FP1
FP2
FP3
S2
M2
D1
D2
An extra module cause my school says so :tongue:
Reply 26
Original post by Melanierobertson
Congrats! 😊 How did you manage your time and roughly how many hours a day/ week did you spend on further maths? What further maths modules did you take?

Thankyou

Original post by Anonymous557
How did you find this? Did it take up a lot of your time? Would it manageable with a job? Congrats aswell! :smile:

Thanks to both of you :smile:. Let me quickly clarify that I did Fmaths during A2 and Further Add Maths while in my gap year.

I found this was very challenging at first, but after a couple of modules it became repetitive, I just rinsed and repeated the same method over and over again. I aimed to complete an exercise (not mixed or review) a day, this roughly took 1-2 hours of my day. On average there are 30 (or less) exercises per Edexcel textbook, so learning a module would take a month. So if I started in September I would have finished 6 units by around March/February, leaving me with around 2 months till exams. During these 2 months I would go over older modules I completed and start doing past papers. Note that this entire process depends on consistency, if you do not do an exercise a day you will finish much later, and this may cause a negative affect on your exams.
I do believe it is possible with a part-time job. I'd usually get home at 6pm, start an exercise by 6:30 and finish around 8ish. Leaving me with a couple hours to study a different subject or procrastinate. Personally, I felt I lost all my spare time, I hardly ever watched TV, played video games or talk to my mates.

Further Maths: FP1 FP2 M2 M3 D1 D2
Further Additional Maths: FP3 M4 M5 S2 S3 S4

Hope this answered your questions! :biggrin: If you need me to clarify anything just ask.
hmm so if you did a module a month and spent 1-2 hours studying a night im assuming including weekends we are talking 30-60 hours per module?

assuming 45 hours as aggregate average 270 hours for the entire A level??

is that right or too conservative?

Im not been silly i know different people have different abilities and different study methods so will work at a different pace. I mean Jake Barnett did the equivalent of A level Maths and A level further maths in two weeks or so I have heard. He is an autistic mathematical genius and has an IQ score that would put him among the very top intelligence in the world. to assume he can do it in two weeks so i can too would just be silly, and maybe your smarter then me and have a better study technique or maybe not who knows, but it does help to have a rough idea for scheduling and also i think at some point it just gets silly. I mean I want to do a maths degree so pursuing these A levels etc, if it took me 3 or 4 times as long as the average A grade Student to get that A, then I think it would be sensible to question whether this is the right choice? I mean I believe I have what it takes etc, but if i end up needing to take so much more time then everyone else evidently not.
Reply 28
Original post by Luke7456
hmm so if you did a module a month and spent 1-2 hours studying a night im assuming including weekends we are talking 30-60 hours per module?

assuming 45 hours as aggregate average 270 hours for the entire A level??

is that right or too conservative?

Im not been silly i know different people have different abilities and different study methods so will work at a different pace. I mean Jake Barnett did the equivalent of A level Maths and A level further maths in two weeks or so I have heard. He is an autistic mathematical genius and has an IQ score that would put him among the very top intelligence in the world. to assume he can do it in two weeks so i can too would just be silly, and maybe your smarter then me and have a better study technique or maybe not who knows, but it does help to have a rough idea for scheduling and also i think at some point it just gets silly. I mean I want to do a maths degree so pursuing these A levels etc, if it took me 3 or 4 times as long as the average A grade Student to get that A, then I think it would be sensible to question whether this is the right choice? I mean I believe I have what it takes etc, but if i end up needing to take so much more time then everyone else evidently not.

I would accept the 270 hour estimate as valid. However, this is only for the content of the A level, not including the time used on past papers and going over rough bits.

Personally, I do not think I am a 'genius' or 'gifted' in the normal TSR usage of the word. However, I do firmly believe I am very hard working, and through this hard work I've gained the trait of picking up new mathematical content quickly (learning new content at a fast and constant rate for a long period of time). Here's some context to help you gather how 'good' I am at maths:
I am a Cambridge maths reject :frown:, got to the interview stage and achieved the standard A*A*A 1,1 STEP II/III offer. Ended up achieving a 2,1 in STEP II/III, leading to my rejection. However, all content and exam technique for STEP was self taught within roughly 3-4 months. So take what you want from there.

Honestly, you're stuck in a hard position. If you want to pursue a maths degree, no top uni will consider you without a grade in A level further maths :frown:. You have no choice but to attempt to self-teach. But you're blessed with the most valuable part to achieve it, faith in your ability. It is hard work, and demoralising at points (especially when you're stuck on the same topic for days), but you'll never know the outcome unless you try! I suggest you first attempt AS Further maths, aim to complete it in 3 months, if you do and are enjoying it just continue to the A2. If not, just settle with the AS.

I hope you make the best decision for yourself! It's better to try than to not try and regret. :smile:

P.S I only got an A grade in GCSE maths. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest