The Student Room Group

FP2 weird loci question help

From the FP2 textbook, it's asking for a sketch of the locus and it's Cartesian equation for zz.

z+3iz6i=1 \frac{\left | z+3i \right |}{\left | z-6i \right |} = 1

The textbook reckons I'm wrong, and the Cartesian equation is:
y=0.5x+9/4 y=-0.5x+9/4

Can anyone point out where I've gone wrong? I couldn't find any examples of a division question, so maybe it's wrong for me to multiply by z6i |z-6i| ?
Original post by alexhazmat
From the FP2 textbook, it's asking for a sketch of the locus and it's Cartesian equation for zz.

z+3iz6i=1 \frac{\left | z+3i \right |}{\left | z-6i \right |} = 1

The textbook reckons I'm wrong, and the Cartesian equation is:
y=0.5x+9/4 y=-0.5x+9/4

Can anyone point out where I've gone wrong? I couldn't find any examples of a division question, so maybe it's wrong for me to multiply by z6i |z-6i| ?

are you sure the numerator is z+3i and not z+3, or the equivalent for the denominator?

based off the top of my head and on the actual answer I'd guess that's where the problem is
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ValerieKR
are you sure the numerator is z+3i and not z+3, or the equivalent for the denominator?

based off the top of my head and on the actual answer I'd guess that's where the problem is

I was thinking that, but its definitely z+3i :9d935a4484944aa650d9f68f37df915f.png
I was thinking that, but its definitely z+3i :9d935a4484944aa650d9f68f37df915f.png

Then it's a typing mistake in the textbook/worksheet/whatever

That provided answer is an answer to a question where that i in the numerator isn't real (yay imaginary number jokes)
Your solution is correct for the given question
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Then it's a typing mistake in the textbook/worksheet/whatever

That provided answer is an answer to a question where that i in the numerator isn't real (yay imaginary number jokes)
Your solution is correct for the question provided

Okay thanks, I knew I wasn't losing my mind. Sadly it seems these textbooks are riddled with errors :frown:
Okay thanks, I knew I wasn't losing my mind. Sadly it seems these textbooks are riddled with errors :frown:

btw there is a much quicker way to do those ones

once you have mod(z-a)=mod(z-b)
The equation is the equation of the perpendicular bisector of AB (because the distance from A and B is equal)
(and if A=B it's just everywhere)
Reply 6
btw there is a much quicker way to do those ones

once you have mod(z-a)=mod(z-b)
The equation is the equation of the perpendicular bisector of AB (because the distance from A and B is equal)
(and if A=B it's just everywhere)

I knew it was a bisector of AB, I just like doing it the long way to show a bit of reasoning.

However I don't understand why, for example: z6=2z+69i |z-6| = 2|z+6-9i| ends up being a circle, instead of a bisector?

Algebraically I see that it ends up being a circle, but I don't see why (the textbook fails at explaining why doubling the 2nd part completely changes it from a bisector to a circle) :smile:
I knew it was a bisector of AB, I just like doing it the long way to show a bit of reasoning.

However I don't understand why, for example: z6=2z+69i |z-6| = 2|z+6-9i| ends up being a circle, instead of a bisector?

Algebraically I see that it ends up being a circle, but I don't see why (the textbook fails at explaining why doubling the 2nd part completely changes it from a bisector to a circle) :smile:

Because of the '2' - it's always twice as far away from one point as another, so you end up with a solution on one side of one complex number, and on the other

think
-----a------b------
if we mark on every point equidistant from a and b we get
-----a---x---b------

and every one twice as far from a as b
-----a----x--b----x--

it's an extension of that extra solution appearing to 2D

the factor not being 1 destroys the symmetry in a sense and allows solutions to appear on either side of either a or b on that 1D line
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Because of the '2' - it's always twice as far away from one point as another, so you end up with a solution on one side of one complex number, and on the other

think
-----a------b------
if we mark on every point equidistant from a and b we get
-----a---x---b------

and every one twice as far from a as b
-----a----x--b----x--

it's an extension of that extra solution appearing to 2D

the factor not being 1 destroys the symmetry in a sense and allows solutions to appear on either side of either a or b on that 1D line

Ahhhh that makes sense now. I never thought of it that way, initially I thought the coordinates of B would be doubled. Thanks for the insight!
Reply 9

That is why they are free.
I had similar issues
Reply 10
Original post by IYGB
That is why they are free.
I had similar issues

They're free? Each book is £16 per book on amazon. I'm only complaining because these books are my only source of practice questions (apart from past papers)
They're free? Each book is £16 per book on amazon. I'm only complaining because these books are my only source of practice questions (apart from past papers)

Bloody hell - I know for certain you can get resources for this type of question of the AQA website for free
and I suspect a lot of other places too
Reply 12

It used to be free on the AQA website

Quick Reply

Latest