The Student Room Group

I am disgusted at the way that farm animals are treated yet I still eat meat

Especially in factory farms.

I know fine well I am contributing to an industry that causes suffering to many defenceless animals day in and day out and the way these animals are treated is a disgrace. Does this make me a hypocrite?

Just hope that in the afterlife we don't go to a world that is dominated by pigs/chicken/cows/ sheep (that know how we treated them in this world) because if we do, I feel some form of revenge is coming our way.

... s**t
Stop eating factory farmed animals ? Smiles make happy animals tastier.
Reply 3
Really?

Do you know how much food is wasted on farm animals to fatten them up for meat? Do you know how much crops are sold from Africa to the rest of the world for farm food when those vegetables could have been eaten by the people there?Ironically, Factory farming reduces the overall amount of food, not increase it.
Reply 4
Original post by Dogofjudah
Stop eating factory farmed animals ? Smiles make happy animals tastier.

That's practically impossible if I eat meat.

99.9% of chicken come from factory farms
99% of turkeys
95% of pigs
78% of cows
Original post by calling03
That's practically impossible if I eat meat.

99.9% of chicken come from factory farms
99% of turkeys
95% of pigs
78% of cows

Unbiased source ?

Highest I could find for chicken was 94%, if you were that bothered you would look for that 6%
Reply 6
Original post by Dogofjudah
Unbiased source ?

Highest I could find for chicken was 94%, if you were that bothered you would look for that 6%

Numerous sources- including the bbc.
Im the same as you. But the truth is you not eating meat won't really change anything. Its only if everyone stops. Maybe only eat meat from animals which was treated right?
Reply 8
Especially in factory farms.

I know fine well I am contributing to an industry that causes suffering to many defenceless animals day in and day out and the way these animals are treated is a disgrace. Does this make me a hypocrite?

Just hope that in the afterlife we don't go to a world that is dominated by pigs/chicken/cows/ sheep (that know how we treated them in this world) because if we do, I feel some form of revenge is coming our way.

You should become a vegetarian.
Reply 9
Original post by Kholmes1
Im the same as you. But the truth is you not eating meat won't really change anything. Its only if everyone stops. Maybe only eat meat from animals which was treated right?

That's my kind of thinking too, 'the way these animals are treated is disgusting but there isn't really much i can do to stop it and the meat tastes good'.

But how can I complain about the way these people treat the animals when I am paying them to do this by buying the meat produced?

There are also many stories about how these 'free-range' animals aren't treated well either.

Idk i think i am going to try and be a vegetarian at least. Even if it is just a small difference it makes it is still a difference. And I could inspire someone else with similar views to go down this root if it works out for me and I could give them informed advice - leading to a bigger difference.

Anyone out there a vegetarian/vegan want to give me some advice? How was it when you went vegetarian? Was it hard? Do you feel healthier?
Reply 10
Original post by john2054
You should become a vegetarian.

I am thinking about it.

Are you a vegetarian?
I am thinking about it.

Are you a vegetarian?

I am. I haven't eaten meat sice i left home in 2001, with the exceptions of one of my hospital admissions, and i once had a lamb samosa by mistake. It is quite easy really if you break the cycle. Vegetarian food can be both delicious and healthy. You don't need meat to survive!

Quick Reply

Latest