The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fw431
Hello, I am applying for Natsci and got 4As, Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Religious Studies, i got 83 UMS in C1, 93 in C2 and 91 in S1, in RS i got 80 UMS in philosophy and 100 in ethics, would my low UMS in C1 maths and philosophy (especially C1 maths) be much of an issue to my application? (It is my weakest area out of Maths, Chemistry and Biology though i'm worried that that wouldn't be obvious given that they don't have an associated UMS).Thank you

Don't stress about UMS :smile:. Exactly how your maths is viewed depends on the full information in your application and which NatSci courses you're interested in. RS will not be of much interest in a NatSci application.
Original post by amelienine
Hello, I'm thinking of doing Economics at Cambridge next year.
I've just received my AS results (I did the whole A level for Maths), and I'm doing the whole Further Maths A level this year too.
I'm doing 4 A Level subjects in total.

I got an A in Maths, Economics and Psychology. I'm wondering if an 84 average UMS is okay for Maths A levels (my C4 module was in the 60s, so that brought the average down by a lot). I'm retaking the C3 and C4 to try for an A* next year.

C1 - 97
C2 - 93
C3 - 83
C4 - 64
S1 - 80
M1 - 87

This nicely illustrates why averages aren't looked at much and we prefer to look at module-by-module information. At face valuem 84 sounds low but looking at the modules you have some good scores and it seems like you had a bit of an off day for C4. As you're retaking C3 and C4 then high scores in these will alter your average considerably. S1 is a bit low but if you're on track for A*A*A then you could have a reasonable application. When scores are a bit up and down we might look in the teacher's reference or the pre-interview assessment to see whether the high or the low scores are more indicative of your ability.
Original post by DarkEnergy
Hi, I got AAAB at AS in Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science, and Maths. Pretty disappointed with the Maths grade, my UMS is as follows:
C1: 78
C2: 78
S1: 81
I will be resitting C1 & C2. I am predicted A*A*A in Physics, Chemistry, and Maths and am considering Physical NatSci. I understand my Maths grade is quite poor by Cambridge standards, so should I still apply? I want to be realistic about my choices and whilst I fully believe I can get an A/A* in Maths next year I don't want to apply somewhere where I may get rejected straight away.

Thanks

You could apply if you're on track for the typical offer but you would not have the strongest paper application and your maths scores would be a cause for concern. We'd look for corroborating evidence of your mathematical ability elsewhere in your application, including in the Natural Sciences Admissions Assessment. I'd say the odds were against you but you wouldn't be rejected immediately.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
What kinds of applicants do not get interviews? People who aren't predicted the entry requirements but apply anyway?

Is everyone who is predicted the entry requirements and looks like they can achieve them given an interview?

We aim to interview all reasonable candidates. Those who aren't interviewed ('deselected') are those who would be unlikely to get an offer even if they performed very well at interview or those we feel have little chance of meeting the typical offer.

This year, we will have pre-interview assessments in a number of subjects so there will be two phases of deselection - before the pre-interview assesments for those without essential subjects or not on track for the typical offer and another phase in late November who we feel would be uncompetitive given their paper applciation and assesment scores.
So, Cambridge will not be asking for raw marks. But are they still asking for UMS where it still exists? And will Cambridge take raw marks into consideration where they are provided separately, such as through references?

All correct :smile:

And since I'm on the topic of UMS, how would Cambridge (or more specifically Peterhouse) feel about an applicant who had done particularly well in one unit but poorly in the other. I got 98 UMS in one Politics exam and 66 in the other. :s-smilie:

Final UMS-ish question: What happens if I get that dodgy unit remarked and it goes up? Would my application be re-evaluated?

We don't have any quotas or cutoffs and we look at everything holistically. We understand that everyone can have an off day and we'd look for corroborating evidence elsewheree in your application about whether your performance is more typically at the 98% or the 66% level. If you get the re-mark in time for the SAQ deadline and include it on that then we will take it into account. After that date you can send it to the relevant admissions office but decisions might have been made.
Original post by boomin
Hi, I am currently on a Gap Year looking to reapply to Cambridge for NatSci. I want to keep myself busy during the year and an Open University Mathematical Methods module looks interesting to me.

However I was wondering whether doing this would affect my application, not just to Cambridge but everywhere, since I guess I would technically already be part of a Uni although I would just be taking one module. Could you shed some light on this?

Thanks

Hi, thanks for asking, good question! Lots of applicants take university-level modules and this can be a good idea. Provided you're not committed to further study with them (i.e. you haven't registered on a 2 or 3 year course) then this isn't a problem. You don't necessarily need to do formal study in a gap year if you can do some self-directed maths work (its only really a concern for maths as experience shows these skills can be lost quickly). A level content is as advanced as you need to get, but it is a good idea to keep your knowledge and skills up.
(edited 7 years ago)
If I provided my raw marks through a reference, would I be able to just include the really good ones? Since it's not an official disclosure where I have to disclose everything.

You would have to declare all your AS grades so we might notice if only some of the raw marks are mentioned....
Original post by 210555
This is good advice (I am an ex applicant with 98% UMS including Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Chemistry). Peterhouse rejected me for engineering. I achieved 4 A* this summer in A2 so I am not academically "daft" and went to a state school so in theory, a viable candidate. I can only go from my experience. Despite the obvious efforts to be transparent here for which I congratulate the Admissions team, my honest experience is that the interview REALLY matters. Your point about "sticklers" says it all. I am posting this to advise students to practice this. Hopefully you won't suffer a rude DOS as I did ( and hopefully this will be rectified this year). BUT practice how you would handle an interviewer in a bad mood with little interest in being there. A minority of "sticklers" do exist at Cambridge even today. Let's hope all interviews this year offer all potential students a true "unique supervision and learning experience" and not a hostile environment. The point of my post is to try to level the playing field for all and keep grumpy DOS's on their toes.

Hmm interesting views. I would say that how people come across in interview isn't how they are in real life and often the seemingly grumpy, uncooperative or combative interviewer is actually the one giving the highest marks. The interview is no more and less important than any other part of the process.
Hi I'd like to apply for Physical Natsci and was wondering how strong of a candidate you think I'd be

This summer I got A's in AS Physics, Chemistry and maths and A* in maths A2. My maths UMS are:
Core 1- 100
Core 2- 99
Core 3- 100
Core 4- 100
Mechanics 1- 100
Decision 1- 100
Further Pure 1- 87 (self taught)
Decision 2- 80

I was wondering how strong of a candidate I would be with these grades, thank you :smile:
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
It might be, you'd certainly be considered. I take it your close to the A/B borderline then? This is one cirumstance where your teacher might want to mention you raw marks in their reference or in a separate letter to us. We'd also look for good performance in the HSPS pre-interview assessment.

Yes, I'm three marks off the A so I'm getting it remarked. I also have history which is three marks off an A, but my teachers said not to bother with that, so I'm not going for the remark. Would I be at a disadvantage if I dropped one and went for three A Levels in English Lit, Politics, and Economics? As in, is it better to take 4 or is there enough??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reaver Daniels
Yes, I'm three marks off the A so I'm getting it remarked. I also have history which is three marks off an A, but my teachers said not to bother with that, so I'm not going for the remark. Would I be at a disadvantage if I dropped one and went for three A Levels in English Lit, Politics, and Economics? As in, is it better to take 4 or is there enough??

Posted from TSR Mobile

No disadvantage - we only expect 3 A levels in year 13 and it is better to excel in 3 than to do less well in 4: A*AA is better than AAAA.

I would recommend that all prospective applicants really read and absorb the guidance we wrote with @Christ's Admissions: this was written very shortly after results day this year to highight some of the pitfalls that many students unfortuantely fell ino in the hopes that this year's applicants can avoid them.
Original post by Newmember200
Hi I'd like to apply for Physical Natsci and was wondering how strong of a candidate you think I'd be

This summer I got A's in AS Physics, Chemistry and maths and A* in maths A2. My maths UMS are:
Core 1- 100
Core 2- 99
Core 3- 100
Core 4- 100
Mechanics 1- 100
Decision 1- 100
Further Pure 1- 87 (self taught)
Decision 2- 80

I was wondering how strong of a candidate I would be with these grades, thank you :smile:

That is a strong profile. Will you be taking FM this year? Which Natural Sciecnes courses do you like the look of?
I'm hoping to apply for theology, religion, and philosophy of religion and will need to take the TAA on November 2nd. However, a school charity trip to Tanzania has been booked for over a year over this date, and I won't be able to sit the exam then. Is there any way to take it before/after my trip? Is anyone else in this situation?
That is a strong profile. Will you be taking FM this year? Which Natural Sciecnes courses do you like the look of?

Yes I'll be doing the FM A level this year and I like the look of Physics, Chemistry, Materials and Maths (I'm not really sure about the difference between maths A and B). Sorry about overloading you with questions but would my FP1 score not put me at a disadvantage?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LouKayenta05
I'm hoping to apply for theology, religion, and philosophy of religion and will need to take the TAA on November 2nd. However, a school charity trip to Tanzania has been booked for over a year over this date, and I won't be able to sit the exam then. Is there any way to take it before/after my trip? Is anyone else in this situation?

You're not the only person in this situation. The collegiate University (i.e. all the colleges acting together) hasn't yet decided what we'll do about such cases but we will do so soon.
Original post by Newmember200
Yes I'll be doing the FM A level this year and I like the look of Physics, Chemistry, Materials and Maths (I'm not really sure about the difference between maths A and B). Sorry about overloading you with questions but would my FP1 score not put me at a disadvantage?

No, please ask away, that's why we're here!

Your FP1 score is fine. 87 is a good mark anyway and your overall maths profile is strong. Everything is considered holistically and slightly lower performance in one module doesn't preclude a successful application at all. We're really not looking for perfection in previous results or small reasons to reject candidates. We take a lot of time to understand the full picture of a candidate's ability and potential and always give candidates the benefit of the doubt.
I would love to apply for Cambridge medicine, but realistically I know I have no chance applying this year with my AS-level results. My stats for unreformed subjects are:
Maths- 90, 100, 73
Latin- 80, 78
I'm planning on retaking the two maths modules and both of the latin papers (I'm not quite sure what kind of UMS I need in Latin for medicine- or if it's even worth resitting at all) and I'm hoping to increase my UMS to 95+ for both subjects and get A*s in both biology and chemistry and apply post A-level.
I know I'll be retaking a lot of papers, but it has been difficult for me this year- a close family member passed away in February and I also ended up missing 2 weeks of school because of it and the situation at home wasn't too good either. My school is aware of why I missed school, but not about my home life. Would it be possible to mention these situations as extenuating circumstances? Is it even worth for me to consider applying?
I also come from a very good school. Will this put me at even more of a disadvantage when taken into consideration?

Sorry for the long message and thank you for taking the time to read it.
Hmm interesting views. I would say that how people come across in interview isn't how they are in real life and often the seemingly grumpy, uncooperative or combative interviewer is actually the one giving the highest marks. The interview is no more and less important than any other part of the process.

Though clearly not in this case. Given Peterhouse's reportedly less than stellar handling of more than one engineering candidate in 2015-16, including @210555, perhaps a gentle investigation might be in order.
Reply 98

Hmm hmm bless! Don't you just love the supposedly power of marketing! As I say to everyone, let's level the playing field here. Practice interview technique. And to all those embedded into the the Cambridge culture, look outside. One day a Cambridge cohort representative of the student population would truly be fab! I fear it is a long way off. I will not give up on giving realistic advice based upon recent actual experience and not just out of touch "spin". I do however thank you for your reply, we are allowed to to completely disagree. Nevertheless I thank you for your input.
In terms of contextual information about schools, we look at GCSE performance for your GCSE school and for your sixth form we'll the number of past applicants, offers and acceptances at Oxford and Cambridge, progression rate to HE in general, the number in your sixth form, % receiving free school meals, the A level point score per student and per exam entry and all sorts of other things from the Department for Education. If we see the need, there's almost no end to the statistics we'll use (just look at the huge array the government collects). As we mentioned earlier about UMS averages, we know that summary statistics miss out a lot of the important detail.

What if you moved from a school (from GCSE) (which has a low acceptance at Oxbridge,high percentage of free school meals ) to a school much better

Will GCSE context still be taken into consideration.