The Student Room Group

Chinese airline warns passengers about London areas populated by Pakistanis & blacks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'absurde
I see nothing wrong with what they did. But of course some people will get all butt-hurt.

And one more thing, being British is to do with skin colour as well...sorry to say it. There are Somali people whose families have lived in the UK since the 30s, they're still Somali, end of. We'd say the same about Brits in Kenya for example. They're not Kenyan. It's about culture, heritage etc. It's deeper than what is written on a document for formality's sake.

I totally agree; indians, pakistanis, eastern europeans, blacks and other ethnic minority groups are not and never will be truely British regardless of how long their families have been here. Its not even just about skin colour either it's also about the religion, culture and values of these ethnic groups.
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/british

Have their been any official definitions defining British like you have? Or have you made it up on the spot?
There are some things that can be generalised with race but not because of something inherently present with the race itself but the CULTURE. Our "race" is determined genetically/hereditary, culture almost emulates that because children tend to adopt the culture of their parents. You can see this easily as you compare the religious and cultural practises of an individual are very strongly tied to their parents behaviour. If you want to find a Hindu or a Sikh, they're MORE LIKELY to be of Indian ancestry or background, they're not going to be black. Again, nothing to do with race but the way in which religions and cultures emulate hereditary traits.

Another example would be misogyny/patriarchy that permeates Indian and Pakistani culture far more than in British culture which makes it an environment feel less safe for a female. However, there are differences between the generations i.e. the younger generation of Indians and Pakistanis are less likely to be misogynistic than the older generation, AND there's the issue of class (upper v lower).

Unfortunately for those unable to pick up on the nuances, they'll either use this to justify racism, or use this to justify smearing anyone who is concerned about cultural/religious differences as racist.
The mainland Chinese can be very uptight for people who take dumps in the street (source: go to China).
Original post by barnetlad
So that means that the airline does not feel it is safe near Heathrow (large ethnic minority communities work at the airport and live nearby) and so they should have their landing rights revoked. They will change their view after a short while of landing at Stansted or Gatwick I expect.

Yeah cause Heathrow Airport is comparable to Tottenham and Newham :rolleyes:
Original post by viffer
Do you get off on forensically analysing posts for something to whinge about? Lighten up. You will feel all the better for it.

that was a pretty weak attempt to rattle me, lmao
Original post by jake4198
"Avoid areas mainly population by Indians, Pakistanis and black people" is not the same as saying "avoid Indians, Pakistanis and black people".

I know, a lot of people have the reading comprehension of 6 year olds it seems*
Original post by viffer
I am not concerned and bully for you.

You get your breeks in a right fankle so I was suggesting it might be in your health interests to frequent sites more in keeping with your philosophy. Jeez, you even take screenshots of posts made by people who say "bad things" that give you angst. For Christ sake what is the bloody point of that? Unhinged imo

i didnt take a screenshot, i just wanted to shut that sorry bigot down

and i have no mental health problems little boy
Original post by JPO92
It is plain in the language used. Marks me as racist and a bigot, offers no justification whatsoever and assumes that the Chinese have the total 'truth' of it, just because it resonates with his beliefs. I am all too well acquainted with this type of response.

why would I waste typing words to you when you're evidently unconditionally going to deny plain-faced racism?
Original post by MildredMalone
Anyone sensible would avoid dumps like Newham and Tower Hamlets. Why shouldn't Air China consider the welfare of its consumers?

Tower Hamlets is actually less violent than some areas of London.
Original post by lawyer3c
talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel! Over to Her Majesty's Home Secretary, Robert Mugabe...

but i think he reflects the general annoyance some have at people who concern themselves with anti-POC racism (totally justifiably) but totally ignore anti-white racism. sure they are on different scales are require different levels of attention as a result, but to deny the latter exists at all is narrow-minded.

Where has anyone denied it in this thread? :rolleyes: He brought it up just to detract from the blatant racism in this thread and article.
Original post by jake4198
Air China didn't advice its passengers to avoid black or other ethnic minorities.

Air China did advice its passengers to avoid neighbourhoods with a significant minority population.

The former is racist, the latter is not. The left's hysteria never ceases to amaze.

No, they clearly link the two, eg, they give the colour of the local population as the reason for avoiding the area.

I do wonder though if this is one of those lost in translation things. Perhaps the Chinese source doesn't quite come over this way, or then again, maybe they watered it down for the English version?
Original post by Jazzy Foot
Indians are fine I think the beef China have is political re: the Dalai Lama and India.

Otherwise spot on about the blacks and pakistanis.

Pretty much this.

Also, if you colonise these countries and make them British territories, surely these people have ancestors that were "British" just like if they were living in Britain? 🤔
(edited 7 years ago)
Maybe they should avoid going to places in their own country... like Tibet :tongue:
Original post by pairofjeans
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/british

Have their been any official definitions defining British like you have? Or have you made it up on the spot?

The definitions of what constitutes what varies between dictionaries. Furthermore just because you are British legally (i.e: on a piece of paper) it doesn't make you british culturally or ethnically. I could live in say, Korea all my life, speak Korean, marry a Korean spouse and even hold a Korean passport but I can never be and will never be considered as Korean properly by the native Korean population because of the cultural and ethnic differences between myself and native Koreans. It is the same in any part of the world; only in the West do we consider those with diametrically opposed culture and values to our own as being "natives." Mainly to our own detriment
Unfortunately they're definitely right about Indian and Black areas in London.

Tbh if one were a Chinese tourist would you really want to visit places like Southall, Wembley, Hackney, Croydon, Newham, Hounslow etc? Or would you visit the City of London, Westminster, Chelsea, Kensington etc? .

i am sure there are dodgy areas in Peking... we should be told before we visit.*
it seems those who have already abandoned one culture in the effort to find something better don't like other people having a culture of their own and will do anything to water it down (next will be the question 'what is British culture')

I can understand why they would want to do this but I'm getting older now and a little more pissed off about this over time.
Original post by the bear
i am sure there are dodgy areas in Peking... we should be told before we visit.*

we already are

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/china

none of this page suggests avoiding races

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending