The Student Room Group

University of Oxford Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cattubato
yeah, Maths and Philosophy here. are you pre-ordering bedding?

Not sure :/ I was probably going to bring it with me but if it's cheaper from the college I might just preorder it :smile: Do you know much much kitchen stuff we are meant to bring? Well done on the place btw :P
Original post by Parrotperson
Not sure :/ I was probably going to bring it with me but if it's cheaper from the college I might just preorder it :smile: Do you know much much kitchen stuff we are meant to bring? Well done on the place btw :P

well its £25 for duvet, pillow and covers. im wondering whether thats so cheap because oxford have got a good bulk deal or because the quality is shod.

im bringing a kettle. we arent allowed to have anything else (e.g. toaster) in our room. we have three meals a day, that little kitchenette thing in the common room, and countless surrounding cafes; i cant see why we would need anything more.

im still not sure how much stuff we ought to bring, other than clothes.

thanks, though i got my requirements by a few UMS so im still thanking the gods of each major religion in turn. well done to you too :smile:
well its £25 for duvet, pillow and covers. im wondering whether thats so cheap because oxford have got a good bulk deal or because the quality is shod.

im bringing a kettle. we arent allowed to have anything else (e.g. toaster) in our room. we have three meals a day, that little kitchenette thing in the common room, and countless surrounding cafes; i cant see why we would need anything more.

im still not sure how much stuff we ought to bring, other than clothes.

thanks, though i got my requirements by a few UMS so im still thanking the gods of each major religion in turn. well done to you too :smile:

That's not too bad. I think I might shop around to see what else is available in terms of quality/ price but if I can't find anything better I might just order from them. After all, it's only for eight weeks per term :smile:

Same. I might just bring a few little bits (mugs etc) although there's probably no point bringing much more. After all I'm sure there's plenty of shops in Oxford where we could get some stuff if it was urgent. I might email my college parents just to be on the safe side :smile:

I'm going to try and pack light but I know I'll probably end up bringing too much :/

No problem :smile: That was lucky, although some of the exams were pretty brutal this year :/ Thank you so much, all that stress was worth it :smile:
Reply 23
hi everyone!

Anyone else doing history or going Somerville?
Original post by MHI
hi everyone!

Anyone else doing history or going Somerville?

History and politics at Harris Manchester! You got any reading lists yet?
Same. I might just bring a few little bits (mugs etc) although there's probably no point bringing much more. After all I'm sure there's plenty of shops in Oxford where we could get some stuff if it was urgent. I might email my college parents just to be on the safe side :smile:

Correction to earlier comment:The Hertford for Fawns booklet recommends we bring kettle, coffee, tea, mugs, glasses, cutler, crockery, saucpans, and cooking utensils.

I'm going to try and pack light but I know I'll probably end up bringing too much :/

Especially considering the unusual clothes we need: subfusc (what even is that? :s-smilie:) and fancy dress (jungle-themed? ffs )

No problem :smile: That was lucky, although some of the exams were pretty brutal this year :/ Thank you so much, all that stress was worth it :smile:

yeah, my subconscious can't yet decide on whether it should suffer from Survivors Guilt or Impostors Syndrome. :smile:

p.s. Does our college have a facebook/whatsapp group/chat? i know other universities/colleges do.
p.p.s wtf i just found out Simpkins the cat is dead.
(edited 7 years ago)
Correction to earlier comment:The Hertford for Fawns booklet recommends we bring kettle, coffee, tea, mugs, glasses, cutler, crockery, saucpans, and cooking utensils.

Especially considering the unusual clothes we need: subfusc (what even is that? :s-smilie:) and fancy dress (jungle-themed? ffs )

yeah, my subconscious can't yet decide on whether it should suffer from Survivors Guilt or Impostors Syndrome. :smile:

p.s. Does our college have a facebook/whatsapp group/chat? i know other universities/colleges do.
p.p.s wtf i just found out Simpkins the cat is dead.

I guess I will be bringing some kitchen stuff then :P I probably won't bring too much though :P

Ha ha I know right :P Oxford is the only university I know that still makes you wear a uniform for exams :/ What are you planning to wear for the bop? (Fancy dress has never been my thing :/)

So true :P I still can't believe I actually got in :P

They don't seem to, however it's been a while since I checked since I don't have Facebook. There might be something about it on the freshers page of the college website but I'm not sure.

Really? Aww that's so sad :frown: RIP Simpkins <3
Reply 27
Original post by MouseyBrown
History and politics at Harris Manchester! You got any reading lists yet?

Nope, apparently we will get them in the middle of september
Original post by charlesisbozo
Physics at Mansfield here!

ARE U REAL? I FOUND SOMEONE ? 6 out of 208 physicist are going to mansfield, and 2 ( or more :biggrin: ) are here xD

Physics at mansfield here!
Earth Sciences at Worcester!
Reply 30
Hi there!
Just wondering, are there good outdoor training facilities at Oxford? Especially neat St. Catz? Just a simple pull up bar or monkey bars would be great for daily exercise :3

Both are very widespread, but tend to slowly dissipate into Y2, they morph into Stockholm Syndrome.
Original post by Headingtonian
Earth Sciences at Worcester!

Hey, I am at Worcester too for geography!!
Original post by Sam1007
Hi there!
Just wondering, are there good outdoor training facilities at Oxford? Especially neat St. Catz? Just a simple pull up bar or monkey bars would be great for daily exercise :3

Catz itself has a well equipped (indoor) gym. It's also quite close to the University Parks and the meadows, which are good for running. If you're specifically wanting outdoor facilities, I think there are some in South Park (bottom of Headington Hill).

Gavin
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Both are very widespread, but tend to slowly dissipate into Y2, they morph into Stockholm Syndrome.

:rofl: :sadnod: :love:
Me for english @ teddy hall :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by gavinlowe
Catz itself has a well equipped (indoor) gym. It's also quite close to the University Parks and the meadows, which are good for running. If you're specifically wanting outdoor facilities, I think there are some in South Park (bottom of Headington Hill).

Gavin

Ah ok cheers. Does the gym membership cost anything? or is it provided by the college?
Original post by thisisaleaf
Me for english @ teddy hall :smile:

SNAP!
I'm so pleased to see a fellow Teddy studying the same subject!
Guys, what are we even doing? Cambridge is at 1339 posts strong on their freshers thread!
Can I just ask how many AS and A-Levels you all got? I'm only doing 3 but since the reformed exams and since the government has stopped making a 4th A-Level compulsory, do you think it's okay to do this?

Quick Reply