The Student Room Group

Why monogamy?

I've never given it any thought I've always assumed that monogamy was the only right way and what-not. however, recently thinking about it, I couldn't find any logical reason for monogamous relationships. I have not been in a relationship yet.So is there any reason that monogamy is actually right? Why are the vast majority of relationships monogamous in today's society?
Humans developed monogamy because it was evolutionarily advantageous. Human babies are incredibly weak and require an abnormally high level of care and attention for a long period of time. Having both parents provide for the child drastically increases its chances of survival. It also allows for one female to have multiple offspring as she has help raising them.

In terms of modern society, monogamy is desirable because we have decided that loyalty is essentially a good thing. As Sean says, it also provides stability and I assume it has benefits in terms of the child's mental health and social development.

[I forgot about STDs, this further helps the selection of monogamous behaviour in evolution and it is still relevant today though it is less about survival (generally) and more about the desireability of the individual.]
Underlying Christian values that have evolved into our modern society most likely.

Prior to that, there are evolutionary benefits to it, as others above me have mentioned.
In the current day its no longer effective as its not culturally enforced and women face no repercussions for cheating thus they do even more then men now, divorce rate and cuckold rate is ridiculous and if your a man you gain nothing from marriage or divorce, kids need monogamy though.
Monogamy works in male-dominated societies since it allows less attractive men who have little chance of getting laid in an open environment, but who are civilisation builders to have sex and raise families whilst facilitating social advancement.

The greatest irony is that feminism favours hypermasculine, short-termist cads over feminised men.
(edited 7 years ago)
As stated before there are many evolutionary factors that come into play. One that comes to my mind straight away is that if men are going to have children with a women they are going to want to make sure the child is actually theirs as to avoid wasting their time and resources on someone else's child.
Reply 6
Why polygamy? Can you imagine being in such a relationship?
Reply 7
Things don't always have to be logical, sometimes it's just what feels "right" that matters.
Original post by Mathemagicien
And social stability from everyone having someone else to f***.

We take our lack of sexually-frustrated mass murderers for granted.
If you and your partner like the idea of an open relationship and sleeping with other people, there's nothing stopping you. However, most people would feel extremely uncomfortable and very upset and the thought of their partner having sex with someone else.
I'd go nuts if someone else had their hands on my partner. And he can be pretty possessive as well when it comes to anyone who might pose a threat to our relationship. There is definitely a protective instinct that comes into play even if you don't really consider yourself that sort of person in other aspects of your life!

I was in a polyamorous relationship for a while, but it didn't provide me with the same sense of feeling settled and comfortable and loved and relaxed. It felt temporary. And it was.
Original post by pinkisthefloyd
I've never given it any thought I've always assumed that monogamy was the only right way and what-not. however, recently thinking about it, I couldn't find any logical reason for monogamous relationships. I have not been in a relationship yet.So is there any reason that monogamy is actually right? Why are the vast majority of relationships monogamous in today's society?

There is nothing what is speaking against bigamy or even polygamy. And I have nothing against it. Would say its an old tradition and deep-rooted culture in our european societies to live with each other by two people. We are used to live in this togetherness for thousands of years. In the other hand, it is also our emotional closeness to a single life partner. In our living culture, we have to give our life partners the feeling being the only person in life. This attitude, being a singularity, maybe also a reason why bigamy and polygamy are so rarely managed in our society.*
Original post by Portgas.D.Grade
In the current day its no longer effective as its not culturally enforced and women face no repercussions for cheating thus they do even more then men now, divorce rate and cuckold rate is ridiculous and if your a man you gain nothing from marriage or divorce, kids need monogamy though.

Oh wow, are you even aware of your sexist bull?

Original post by ChrisD0
Why polygamy? Can you imagine being in such a relationship?

No. I am not good at sharing. My partner is my partner and no one elses. And neither am i.
the church says so. people need to explain then how some societies are polygamous, and the children aren't that less well off. i think society forces polygamy, little else.
Original post by WoodyMKC
If you and your partner like the idea of an open relationship and sleeping with other people, there's nothing stopping you. However, most people would feel extremely uncomfortable and very upset and the thought of their partner having sex with someone else.

That is what people are used to in relatioship: familar closeness. So for that reason I guess polygamy would almost fail by ourselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending