The Student Room Group

Doing law not at a russell group.

Scroll to see replies

MMU for law?

can i have fries with that
Original post by Gwilym101
Doesn't matter, Russel Group is only about collaboration for scientific research. No relevance to law.

100% wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You will find it a lot harder to get into law firms from MMU. Not saying it's impossible, but it will be much harder so you'll need a first and lots of extra curriculars eg president of societies etc

Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ORW
With all due respect to your 1st and extra curricular, it does beg the question why do you not have a TC? Unless your A levels have held you back and employer's view of your university? Self funding the LPC is a fool's game these days...

The fact that someone can get 88% on the law degree makes me question the university's standards. Quite a lot of my friends who got straight As and A*s at a-level and who are reading law at RG universities don't seem to be able to get anything exceeding 73%. Obviously, there are people who are academic geniuses, but a genius would certainly not have ended up at a non-RG university, so marks as high as 88% only show how lax certain universities are with their marking and why the degrees from those universities are less valued.
Reply 65
Original post by BIGJohnson777
The fact that someone can get 88% on the law degree makes me question the university's standards. Quite a lot of my friends who got straight As and A*s at a-level and who are reading law at RG universities don't seem to be able to get anything exceeding 73%. Obviously, there are people who are academic geniuses, but a genius would certainly not have ended up at a non-RG university, so marks as high as 88% only show how lax certain universities are with their marking and why the degrees from those universities are less valued.

It's an integrated 4 year course that combines the LLB and the LPC hence why I don't need to self fund and also a reason why I chose the University I'm at since there's no way I could ever self fund. 88% was for one of the practice modules which is very much achieveable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hann95
It's a integrated 4 year course that combines the LLB and the LPC hence why I don't need to self fund and also a reason why I chose the University I'm at since there's no way I could ever self fund. 88% was for one of the practice modules which is very much achieveable.

Northumbria?
Original post by Princepieman
Well they did say it was commercial awareness that was the issue, which is a valid point.. You can have all the bells and whistles required to get to interview, but fail at interview if your examples and commercial awareness knowledge is lacking. It can happen to virtually anyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is a valid point yes, but I have issue with them telling OP that everything has gone fantastically for them, they've achieved fantastic things and to just sign up for a poor uni etc. when having such a strong profile should indicate success opposed to future success.

Original post by Hann95
Except for one thing - you have absolutely no idea how many applications I've made, where I've made them to, how far in the process I've got, what feedback I've been given etc.

I will have a training contract but I'm not going to sit here and justify to you why I haven't got one just yet when there are plenty of RG uni grads that also don't have TCs yet.

If people are really that insecure about themselves that they feel the need to try and belittle someone else on a public forum then all I can say is I sincerely feel bad for you.

You can sneer all you want, but I will get a TC when I've worked out the kinks in myself and my applications, like a good few of my uni friends already have.

My reply was simply for OP, so he can understand that people will always have their opinions but it's up to him to make something of himself.

I know that you haven't secured a TC whilst I know people at my university who have achieved low 2.1s with bang average ECs and have secured a TC. I don't even attend a 'top' uni, just a RG.

Therefore, I feel it is prudent to provide the alternative viewpoint of your post i.e. that despite great grades and good life experiences no firm was willing to offer you a job and pay for your LPC and that this indicates it may well be your university which is holding you back.

My post was far from belittling, but the fact that you would immediately throw out childish insults indicates an immaturity on your behalf. If you can't handle someone disagreeing with your viewpoint on your university, are you really as confident as you appear or are you actually more insecure about your prospects?

I think you've done very well so far, since attending university anyway, and I wish you luck but I don't share your blind optimism that firms will be impressed by your 'great grades' and due to that I feel OP should be careful before getting into so much debt.
Reply 68
Northumbria?

Nope but I met a student at Northumbria at a conference last year and it's essentially the same course.
Reply 69
Original post by Conzy210
That is a valid point yes, but I have issue with them telling OP that everything has gone fantastically for them, they've achieved fantastic things and to just sign up for a poor uni etc. when having such a strong profile should indicate success opposed to future success.

I know that you haven't secured a TC whilst I know people at my university who have achieved low 2.1s with bang average ECs and have secured a TC. I don't even attend a 'top' uni, just a RG.

Therefore, I feel it is prudent to provide the alternative viewpoint of your post i.e. that despite great grades and good life experiences no firm was willing to offer you a job and pay for your LPC and that this indicates it may well be your university which is holding you back.

My post was far from belittling, but the fact that you would immediately throw out childish insults indicates an immaturity on your behalf. If you can't handle someone disagreeing with your viewpoint on your university, are you really as confident as you appear or are you actually more insecure about your prospects?

I think you've done very well so far, since attending university anyway, and I wish you luck but I don't share your blind optimism that firms will be impressed by your 'great grades' and due to that I feel OP should be careful before getting into so much debt.

Mate, you were belittling me. I never tried to make out that my university experience has been the best it possibly could be but what I have shown is that you can and should make the most out of whatever situation you're in.

I know that coming from a non RG uni I have to work harder, hence why I told OP his career in law will be what he makes of it. I don't disagree that going to an RG uni is a fantastic thing, but that's not always the way things work out.

I can completely handle a differing opinion, I just won't justify to strangers over the Internet why I am where I'm at when they don't know the first thing about me, just a very brief overview of some of my ECs.
Original post by Hann95
Mate, you were belittling me. I never tried to make out that my university experience has been the best it possibly could be but what I have shown is that you can and should make the most out of whatever situation you're in.

I know that coming from a non RG uni I have to work harder, hence why I told OP his career in law will be what he makes of it. I don't disagree that going to an RG uni is a fantastic thing, but that's not always the way things work out.

I can completely handle a differing opinion, I just won't justify to strangers over the Internet why I am where I'm at when they don't know the first thing about me, just a very brief overview of some of my ECs.

'They have done everything possible whilst at university yet still don't have a TC' - How terribly awful of me to praise your efforts and state it may well be your university's reputation, opposed to you as an individual, which has meant you haven't secured a TC.

Also, unfortunately, as soon as you provided some context and advice to OP the information was there to be challenged and disagreed with. You think your experiences demonstrate one thing, I believe the opposite. The nature of a public forum is discussion and you cannot be aghast that I used your information, which was admittedly brief, to advise OP of my opinion.

OP won't have begun his law degree yet, and obviously has doubts. My genuine opinion is that he would be better either resitting his A-levels (which as far as I am aware you can still do) or if he is not 100% on academic law just the career, attempt to move to a 'better' institution and study a different subject. This, in my opinion again, would improve his prospects but of course he isn't destined for the scrapheap if he goes to MMU, things will just be so much harder.
'They have done everything possible whilst at university yet still don't have a TC' - How terribly awful of me to praise your efforts and state it may well be your university's reputation, opposed to you as an individual, which has meant you haven't secured a TC.

Also, unfortunately, as soon as you provided some context and advice to OP the information was there to be challenged and disagreed with. You think your experiences demonstrate one thing, I believe the opposite. The nature of a public forum is discussion and you cannot be aghast that I used your information, which was admittedly brief, to advise OP of my opinion.

OP won't have begun his law degree yet, and obviously has doubts. My genuine opinion is that he would be better either resitting his A-levels (which as far as I am aware you can still do) or if he is not 100% on academic law just the career, attempt to move to a 'better' institution and study a different subject. This, in my opinion again, would improve his prospects but of course he isn't destined for the scrapheap if he goes to MMU, things will just be so much harder.

Resitting A-levels doesn't seem like a good option since even medium-sized regional firms ask for a specific amount of UCAS points from 3 A-levels completed in 2 consecutive years, so they will just count first 2 years in and disregard the rest (unless there are genuine mitigating circumstances, obviously).
Resitting A-levels doesn't seem like a good option since even medium-sized regional firms ask for a specific amount of UCAS points from 3 A-levels completed in 2 consecutive years, so they will just count first 2 years in and disregard the rest (unless there are genuine mitigating circumstances, obviously).

Hasn't the amount of firms which utilise UCAS filters dwindled in recent years?

I could certainly be wrong but as far as I was aware, largely due to attempts to improve social mobility, very few firms have them these days.
Hasn't the amount of firms which utilise UCAS filters dwindled in recent years?

I could certainly be wrong but as far as I was aware, largely due to attempts to improve social mobility, very few firms have them these days.

Yep, and contextualised recruitment processes (taking into account how you did vs others at school) are also quite popular now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, firms just care what your overall grades are

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep, and contextualised recruitment processes (taking into account how you did vs others at school) are also quite popular now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not bad actually.
So, would 3 A*s from a mediocre FE college in a poor area be worth more than 3 A*s from a grammar/private school?
That's not bad actually.
So, would 3 A*s from a mediocre FE college in a poor area be worth more than 3 A*s from a grammar/private school?

Yep

Posted from TSR Mobile
x

x

'Rare’s system uses data from two databases: one contains exam results of 3,500 English secondary schools and sixth form colleges; the other contains 2.5 million UK postcodes. It then combines this information to place wannabe lawyers’ accomplishments in context.'

http://www.legalcheek.com/2015/09/contextual-recruitment-hits-magic-circle-linklaters-to-consider-students-economic-background-and-personal-circumstances/

As I have already said in this thread, I do not think that is correct. Overall there is very little difference in marking standards between RG and non-RG universities. There may be a difference at Oxbridge.

Of course there are other differences and in general most RG universities offer a better law course than most non-RG universities. But I do not believe that marking is one of them.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending