The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

More in the sense of a general medicine/health chat. JD contracts, news stories, global health, breakthroughs etc

I mean, McCafferky(?) was found to have misleads docs before she flew out by not disclosing that she had a fever before heading to Africa.

Even different opinions in improving the service. Getting nothing of the sort in the MHOC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
do you guys already know what speciality you want to go into? And if yes, then when did you realise that?
I am about to start 3rd year (scary, I still remember applying to med school as if it was yesterday), but my mum is really pressuring me into deciding where I want to do my speciality training (aka UK, Belgium or Poland) and get information on what it takes to become whatever that is I want in each of these countries. And I just feel like its too early for that sort of decisions since I haven't started CP yet so I don't really know how consultant work looks like.
Original post by Nottie
do you guys already know what speciality you want to go into? And if yes, then when did you realise that?
I am about to start 3rd year (scary, I still remember applying to med school as if it was yesterday), but my mum is really pressuring me into deciding where I want to do my speciality training (aka UK, Belgium or Poland) and get information on what it takes to become whatever that is I want in each of these countries. And I just feel like its too early for that sort of decisions since I haven't started CP yet so I don't really know how consultant work looks like.

Neurosurgeon, decided when I was 11.

Nah, I kid, I have no idea. Sorry for the useless response, I'm clearly very bored. :smile:
Just been informed by my medical school that now in year 2 I will be sitting the year4/5 final exams at the same time as them... these are clinical exams and im in pre-clinical years so surely a lot of the stuff covered on these exams we wont have even covered yet... lets see how this goes!
Original post by Natalierm2707
Just been informed by my medical school that now in year 2 I will be sitting the year4/5 final exams at the same time as them... these are clinical exams and im in pre-clinical years so surely a lot of the stuff covered on these exams we wont have even covered yet... lets see how this goes!

Your pass mark will be adjusted accordingly so don't worry too much about it. I'm quite sure a few other medical schools already have a similar set up to this too (?Peninsula --> Plymouth/Exeter perhaps with their AMK tests).
Original post by Nottie

There's really no need to decide yet, especially with the way the UK system works. And rest assured that a large number of your fellow students will change their mind from whatever they're dead set on at this stage!
Original post by Nottie

**snip**

Yes and no. I came to medical school with my heart set on a particular specialty, and it's still at the top of my list. I'd worked in the area quite a bit before hand so have a fair bit of insight.

What has changed however is my list of alternatives, I've really enjoyed some of the specialties that I wouldn't have considered before having placements in them (O&G, urology.) I keep a shortlist as the specialty I would like to pursue in the UK doesn't really exist elsewhere, which complicates things as I'm increasingly keen to leave.

Speaking to others in 4th year it seems that most people change their mind every couple of weeks, so it's not unuaual to not know by now.
Original post by purplefrog
Your pass mark will be adjusted accordingly so don't worry too much about it. I'm quite sure a few other medical schools already have a similar set up to this too (?Peninsula --> Plymouth/Exeter perhaps with their AMK tests).

Yes our pass mark is apparently adjusted to something around 30% which is very low, I suppose it is good practice for real finals.Just wondering as a pre-clinical student what clinical resources may be worth looking over? This is all so new to me.
Original post by That Bearded Man
More in the sense of a general medicine/health chat. JD contracts, news stories, global health, breakthroughs etc

I mean, McCafferky(?) was found to have misleads docs before she flew out by not disclosing that she had a fever before heading to Africa.

Even different opinions in improving the service. Getting nothing of the sort in the MHOC.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That non-medics can contribute to as well? Maybe. There are often applicant-driven medical news chat threads started - they normally die a quick death. Discussions of NHS policy detail are unlikely to be popular either.

It seems like the kind of thing that the medicine forum itself is for? That if someone has something to say they should start a new thread? I think the only way another thread could last is with a clear theme and with concerted input from the frequenters on this and the Dr's society threads.
Original post by Nottie

It's not too early to have an idea of what you want to do (I've been fairly sure that I want to do psych since I was at about your stage), but pre-clinical placements definitely too early to make a firm decision! I know lots of people who had an idea when they started med school, then completely changed their minds when they either had a bad placement in their specialty of interest, or were exposed to (and enjoyed) a specialty they hadn't previously given much thought to.

I'd say about half of my friends currently in their foundation years haven't completely committed to a specialty in their minds yet - and if they're not sure, how can you be expected to be? :smile:
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-37284378

Discovers potential cure for malaria using charity-donated money. Publishes paper in a journal that extremely few in malaria-endemic countries will be able to afford. At least the database might be accessible (?)

Let's hope they don't make the devastating decision to do the same with the human trials.
Original post by nexttime
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-37284378

Discovers potential cure for malaria using charity-donated money. Publishes paper in a journal that extremely few in malaria-endemic countries will be able to afford. At least the database might be accessible (?)

Let's hope they don't make the devastating decision to do the same with the human trials.

Surely that will receive aid funding for distribution in Africa/Asia, depends on whether pharmaceutical company latches on to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by That Bearded Man
Surely that will receive aid funding for distribution in Africa/Asia, depends on whether pharmaceutical company latches on to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Distribution of the paper? Maybe, I'm not sure.

It shouldn't be necessary though - Nature have done absolutely nothing to aid this research then they get the right to demand money for it. And consequently deny 99% of the doctors actually treating real humans with malaria access to the latest knowledge.

Furthermore, the next phase of human trials here should ideally be done in the population that gets malaria, but i guarantee it won't be, with one of the main barriers to that taking place being the journals themselves.
Distribution of the paper? Maybe, I'm not sure.

It shouldn't be necessary though - Nature have done absolutely nothing to aid this research then they get the right to demand money for it. And consequently deny 99% of the doctors actually treating real humans with malaria access to the latest knowledge.

Furthermore, the next phase of human trials here should ideally be done in the population that gets malaria, but i guarantee it won't be, with one of the main barriers to that taking place being the journals themselves.

Sci-hub
Original post by Asklepios
Sci-hub

Well yes, until an Elsevier vs The Rest of Humanity court case takes it down. Let's hope it can show the same resilience of TV show streaming!
Well yes, until an Elsevier vs The Rest of Humanity court case takes it down. Let's hope it can show the same resilience of TV show streaming!

Would be quite an interesting court case, a doctor who saved a patient's life using illegally downloaded knowledge
Holy crap, it's final year
Enjoying my first placement (obs and gynae), I've been on a very friendly ward for the past couple of days, with more opportunities and ability to be useful already. Which is great
but holy crap

Original post by Nottie

I agree it's too early to be making decisions, at this stage it's important to get the experience of multiple specialties in clinical rotations and SSC's etc. I think most people find it much easier to rule things out than in. I love talking to patients, so I can rule out the specialties with very little patient contact easily, but that still leaves plenty to choose from!

That said, I do think I know what I want to go into, and I've been talking to people about applying successfully etc. I'm not closed minded though and I know I might change my mind in the future. I had almost no clue what I wanted during pre-clinical though, except that it had to have patient contact, and definitely not surgery.
For anyone who has taken the army medical bursary what is the minimum years required in their service? It says 5-8 years but i've read in forums that it is actually 3 years? Can you undergo speciality training (ex. surgery) during this period? Thanks!
Reply 458
Original post by Natalierm2707

Presumably not summative?

I never got the need to give people in pre-clinical years the same clinical papers as finals sit to "see how they do" (I think Manchester do this summatively?). Might as well just give finals students a summative MRCP paper to "see how they do"....
Original post by Beska
Presumably not summative?

I never got the need to give people in pre-clinical years the same clinical papers as finals sit to "see how they do" (I think Manchester do this summatively?). Might as well just give finals students a summative MRCP paper to "see how they do"....

According to our assessments handbook we get 2 formative (november and march) and then 1 summative with a greatly adjusted pass rate to meet a year 2 standard. I personally think its a little odd to test us on clinical material in pre-clinical years especially considering some people could fail the year due to it, but I suppose it is good practice.My only worry is not being up to scratch knowledge wise...according to the manual for 3rd year we have 40% based on an ISCE then the remainder based on the progress test (so year 5 finals) and an end of pre-clinical science exam. I do think the progress test will form a much smaller part of our overall mark for the year though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending