The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1220
Is everyone's parents driving them to cambridge on the first day? And if yes, are they staying for the activities and talks organised by the college for parents?
Original post by Mathemagicien
Do there exist other TSRians who do not yet know who their college parents are, or do not yet know about their accommodation?

Yeah, me
A very useful Cambridge Fresher's Guide - from Victorian times. :smile:

http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/exhilaration-and-anxiety-dos-and-don’ts-fresher-life-–-victorian-style

For example, these tips still seem relevent today:

"Don’t, if you are in lodgings, get too familiar with your landlady’s daughter, as she is probably more clever than you”
and
“Don’t attempt to keep every brand of wine under the sun. Most Undergrads cannot distinguish ‘Bordeaux’ from ‘Burgundy’ if served in a decanter.”
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Serine Soul
Yeah, me

did you not get ur letter from them ? or did they just not put their names on
Original post by 12284
Is everyone's parents driving them to cambridge on the first day? And if yes, are they staying for the activities and talks organised by the college for parents?

I will be, and yes staying for afternoon tea & bickies as invited by the Senior Tutor. Would be rude not to... :wink:

But I'm not aware of any other "activities and talks"... we will be leaving college as soon as practical.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 12284

Most parents do as you have loads of stuff you need to transport.
But parents are to leave the college after they dropped their kid & belongings and carry them to their room. They're welcome to stay for a few hours to help them sort out the room and say final good bye, and a college cafe/bar and chapel will be open for them to get refreshment and light meal/snacks, too, but not beyond that.
Definitely not for activities, etc. :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
A very useful Cambridge Fresher's Guide - from Victorian times. :smile:

http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/exhilaration-and-anxiety-dos-and-don’ts-fresher-life-–-victorian-style

For example, these tips still seem relevent today:

"Don’t, if you are in lodgings, get too familiar with your landlady’s daughter, as she is probably more clever than you”
and
“Don’t attempt to keep every brand of wine under the sun. Most Undergrads cannot distinguish ‘Bordeaux’ from ‘Burgundy’ if served in a decanter.”

Have read a similar article on a paper recently.
Can't remember which paper (telegraph??????) or which college that was about, though......
When I saw the headline, I thought it'd be an useful info for 2016 freshers and soon realised its not quite........:tongue:
Original post by vincrows
Lol Are you sure Christ's offers things like that on the day?
With hundreds of freshers and some older students depending on the day, not sure the college want the parents to linger on too long........especially at colleges in the town centre.
And even if they do, it's more like the said tea & biscuit will be left in a cafe or hall for you to help yourself. Very unlikely a tutor or academic staff or whatever will be there to welcome you and have a chat with you. :wink:
The organisation of the first day at college are usually left to JCR and posters team.

I'm not interested in a "chat" just the free tea & bickies...

Spoiler

Have read a similar article on a paper recently.
Can't remember which paper (telegraph??????) or which college that was about, though......
When I saw the headline, I thought it'd be an useful info for 2016 freshers and soon realised its not quite........:tongue:

Probably John's PR team swinging into action.

The Guardian, amongst others.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/shortcuts/2016/sep/07/victorian-guide-freshers-week-st-johns-college-cambridge
Original post by jneill
I'm not interested in a "chat" just the free tea & bickies...

Spoiler

Yeah, I noticed you'd edited your post to add 'senior tutor invitation' bit, so I deleted the post. :wink:
Seems Christ's more generous than my daughter's college if they can afford free teas and biscuits. :biggrin:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah, I noticed you'd edited your post to add 'senior tutor invitation' bit, so I deleted the post. :wink:
Seems Christ's more generous than my daughter's college if they can afford free teas and biscuits. :biggrin:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Do there exist other TSRians who do not yet know who their college parents are, or do not yet know about their accommodation?

Yeh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill

Spoiler

Spoiler

Phew. My college does stuff mainly through the post (:colonhash:), so I was a bit concerned that perhaps I had lost a letter or two.

Are you sure you really got an offer?

Jk

Don't worry, it'll come by early next week. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Are you sure you really got an offer?

Jk

Don't worry, it'll come by early next week. :smile:

Im going on the 25th aswell...
Original post by physicsmaths
Im going on the 25th aswell...

For the maths thing?
I'm sure it will come well before that.
Is there any particular things you want to know asap.....like now?
Have you seen this? Is it possible this is replacing a physical info pack??
http://www.homerton.cam.ac.uk/sites/default/files/imce/admissions/docs/UG_WelcomeBooklet2016.pdf

And this?
http://www.homerton.cam.ac.uk/admissions/ugradregmail.html

Perhaps homerton's porters decided the post office is too far to bother ......:tongue:

Edit:
Have JCR opened Homerton 2016 Freshers FB page?
Members of JCR freshers team should be manning it, so you can ask them anything you need there, if you need to know something soon.

Edit 2 : read through the links above.
Seems like homerton really might've gone digital.............
Ask on JCR freshers page if they really have.
(edited 7 years ago)
Has anybody else been asked to do things for the local press? I've just done something and will be told where my picture's going but I'm kinda feeling uneasy about it :/
Original post by highestmountain
Has anybody else been asked to do things for the local press? I've just done something and will be told where my picture's going but I'm kinda feeling uneasy about it :/

You're a celebrity!
I haven't (other than the front of the school website) but I wouldn't worry too much about it, do you remember the 3rd page of 3 weeks ago?
Original post by EnglishMuon
did you not get ur letter from them ? or did they just not put their names on

Nah no letter

Phew. My college does stuff mainly through the post (:colonhash:), so I was a bit concerned that perhaps I had lost a letter or two.

Haha don't worry. My college sent me a little questionnaire to fill in to find my perfect family aha
Original post by highestmountain

I've been nominated for an award in this thing my town does to celebrate high achievers. The person on the phone seemed almost in tears because someone from my background is going to Cambridge aha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending