The Student Room Group

Scientists suggest that cancer is man-made

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bit erroneous.

They've found a few 'ancient' skeletons with evidence of cancer, but the vast majority of cancers present today generally hit older people and people simply didn't live that long back then.

Study seems awfully simplistic.

They also fully acknowledge that they've found cancer in Egyptian mummies. Yet claim it's a modern illness. Er.

Have just noticed that it's a 6 year old study. Other people saying "wait. Wtf? That doesn't make any sense" is probably why it's been ignored.
(edited 7 years ago)

They also said Syphilis is man made but i can tell you NO MAN EVER GAVE IT TO ME.

That came from a woman i met at the perfume counter at an apartment store
(edited 7 years ago)
Seeing as scientists recently found samples of bone from around 2 million years old with evidence of cancer then it's fair to say the study is BS.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3712716/Cancer-NOT-modern-disease-World-s-oldest-example-human-tumour-1-7-million-year-old-foot-bone.html
It is, western acid diet causes it
Reply 5
Original post by Dividedland
It is, western acid diet causes it

Care to elaborate by providing some studies or scientific testing to back up your wild statement?
Wait....is a professor of life sciences really quoted as saying there is nothing in the natural environment that can cause cancer? This isn't some quack website right?

One can only assume this guy lives underground and has never encountered sunlight.
Original post by L33t
Care to elaborate by providing some studies or scientific testing to back up your wild statement?

You to lazy to use google?

EDIT it aint the only thing to cause it but its a big contributor
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Dividedland
You to lazy to use google?

Apparently you're too lazy to use proper grammar! Also you're too lazy to provide evidence!

No, I am not too lazy to google it, however I think if you make wild statements like that without backing them up you should provide people with the evidence you have come across for providing said statement.

I personally have no interest in googling it, i'd rather have a polite academic discussion (in which people provide studies, evidence and/ or proof for their statements) which apparently you can't handle.

Have a nice day :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
This is why nobody gives a **** about the University of Manchester.
Reply 10
Original post by tomtjl
This is why nobody gives a **** about the University of Manchester.

You're really going to insult one of the leading research universities in this country? LOL This is gonna cause some trouble...
Reply 11
Original post by L33t
You're really going to insult one of the leading research universities in this country? LOL This is gonna cause some trouble...

If the research they create is of this quality, then yeah.
They aren't saying ALL cancer is man-made - just that some of it is (which we already know is true, but this time a different/new carcinogen ) - don't immediately dispel the validity based on the clickbait title which has clearly just been used to sell papers (or the online equivalent).

Edit: after reading this article I concluded that you're completely right to call this utter **lls***
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Drewski
Bit erroneous.

They've found a few 'ancient' skeletons with evidence of cancer, but the vast majority of cancers present today generally hit older people and people simply didn't live that long back then.

Study seems awfully simplistic.

They also fully acknowledge that they've found cancer in Egyptian mummies. Yet claim it's a modern illness. Er.

Have just noticed that it's a 6 year old study. Other people saying "wait. Wtf? That doesn't make any sense" is probably why it's been ignored.

I agree in part, but I would point out that some cancers, such as lymphomas and other blood cancers, have seen dramatic increases, almost 100% infact, in just the past few decades (they were very rare as little as 40 years ago) which cannot be wholly accounted for by life expectancy increases. It is almost certainly a product of modern society.
Reply 14
Original post by tomtjl
If the research they create is of this quality, then yeah.

Most of it isn't though, UoM produces some of the best research in the world in several fields. This particular "study" appears to be somewhat of an anomaly though.
Fluoride causes cancer, it's found everywhere in the toothpastes to the tap water.
Original post by Antediluvian
Fluoride causes cancer, it's found everywhere in the toothpastes to the tap water.

innit blud - and dem vaccinations made ma kids autism so dey not doktas
Original post by ValerieKR
innit blud - and dem vaccinations made ma kids autism so dey not doktas

No, vaccinations are important in the protection against illnesses, many of which pose a serious threat to life. Also, vaccinations help to eradicate illnesses such as polio.

No, fluoride has substantial benefits in the prevention of tooth decay. Numerous studies, taken together, clearly establish a causal relationship between water fluoridation and the prevention of dental caries. While dental decay is reduced by fluoridated toothpaste and mouth rinses, professional fluoride treatments and fluoride dietary supplements, fluoridation of water is the most cost-effective method. It provides the greatest benefit to those who can least afford preventive and restorative dentistry and reduces dental disease, loss of teeth, time away from work or school, and anesthesia-related risks associated with dental treatment.

The reason I'm so bitterly sarcastic is that all major studies into this show no correlation between fluoride in drinking water and cancer.

The history of that claim is a tabloid one - used for political progranda and newspaper sales.

Quick Reply