The Student Room Group

Entire class failed

Basically my entire class failed our Environmental Studies AS exams this year. I was predicted A's and B's all year and never got below a C in any mocks. I even felt that my exams went so well and was convinced I had a B or above, however when it came to results day I got a U and an E in my exams. I got A's and B's in my other subjects at AS so it looks really odd next to my other subjects. My entire class have said they did not get above an E in the exams which is ridiculous. I have to continue this subject onto A2 as I was only doing 3 subjects at AS and I'm so stressed out about this situation. My teacher has not replied to the email I sent him 3 weeks ago on results day, and I feel he is extremely incompetent as a teacher. I'm so worried I won't be able to get into uni :frown: What should I do???

Scroll to see replies

Talk to your head! Explain the situation and mention that it wasn't just you, but the whole class instead.
Resit the year? What were your other grades? If you did well in those you could do anAS and A2 in 1 year for a subject
chances are your teacher got the boot because your whole class didn't do well
Reply 4
Original post by sophie201518
Basically my entire class failed our Environmental Studies AS exams this year. I was predicted A's and B's all year and never got below a C in any mocks. I even felt that my exams went so well and was convinced I had a B or above, however when it came to results day I got a U and an E in my exams. I got A's and B's in my other subjects at AS so it looks really odd next to my other subjects. My entire class have said they did not get above an E in the exams which is ridiculous. I have to continue this subject onto A2 as I was only doing 3 subjects at AS and I'm so stressed out about this situation. My teacher has not replied to the email I sent him 3 weeks ago on results day, and I feel he is extremely incompetent as a teacher. I'm so worried I won't be able to get into uni :frown: What should I do???

Going from As and Bs to a U is quite a big drop. Most people on here, if they drop, go around the C/D level.

Perhaps get a remark if you felt it went well?
How is it the teachers fault if you were getting B/C but in the exams you didn't do well? Surely if they were a bad teacher you would've done badly in mocks also
Reply 6
Don't blame others for your lack of work. Knuckle down and focus rather than find excuses.
Original post by ExamLeak
Don't blame others for your lack of work. Knuckle down and focus rather than find excuses.

Did you not read my entire post?? I did all the past papers I possibly could, was getting A's and B's all year, it really doesn't seem like it's my fault in this situation ... If it was I would be prepared to work really hard in order to fix my mistakes.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Resit the year? What were your other grades? If you did well in those you could do anAS and A2 in 1 year for a subject

I got an A in Psychology and a B in English Literature, I'm doing Law as an AS this year because I want to do Law at uni. I've asked to do Law in one year already and apparently you can't? :frown:
Your teacher is probably in hiding if the whole class failed

If it is true that eveyone did badly then the school should be requesting a re-mark for the whole class. Get your parents involved to get answers ...
Original post by Muttley79
If it is true that eveyone did badly then the school should be requesting a re-mark for the whole class. Get your parents involved to get answers ...

Yeah I think I will do thanks ☺️
I got an A in Psychology and a B in English Literature, I'm doing Law as an AS this year because I want to do Law at uni. I've asked to do Law in one year already and apparently you can't? :frown:

Ditch law you dont need it for Law ar Uni, englishlit is fine. Ask if you can do A level Gov&Politics in 1 year?
Original post by SuperHuman98
Ditch law you dont need it for Law ar Uni, englishlit is fine. Ask if you can do A level Gov&Politics in 1 year?

Yeah that's a good idea, my college offer that so I'll see what I can do! thank you!
Did you not read my entire post?? I did all the past papers I possibly could, was getting A's and B's all year, it really doesn't seem like it's my fault in this situation ... If it was I would be prepared to work really hard in order to fix my mistakes.

Just doing past papers isn't the answer. In fact you can end up worse if you don't properly do them. You clearly aren't revising effectively or enough. If you were you would have come out with much better grades.
Reply 15
Original post by HopelessMedic
How is it the teachers fault if you were getting B/C but in the exams you didn't do well? Surely if they were a bad teacher you would've done badly in mocks also

Not if the teacher marked the mocks incorrectly
Reply 16

I'm just going onto A2 Law this year and I can say it would be really tough to learn in one year because there's so many cases and essays to memorise, I know I couldn't manage and my target is an A/A* (depends on how a resit goes)
Original post by Ezme39
Not if the teacher marked the mocks incorrectly

Yet the OP stated that he was getting A/Bs on past papers themselves. I find it hard to believe you can from A/B in past papers and a C in your mock to a U in the real thing. Even if the teacher is crap you don't go from the top grade to the bottom grade
Ouch! I would not like to be in your teacher's shoes right now.

There's a lot to be said for a good bit of self teaching where teachers aren't quite working for you. Have a nose on amazon for some textbooks that are specific to the subject and current syllabus.
Original post by HopelessMedic
Yet the OP stated that he was getting A/Bs on past papers themselves. I find it hard to believe you can from A/B in past papers and a C in your mock to a U in the real thing. Even if the teacher is crap you don't go from the top grade to the bottom grade

Over-marking is a problem. We tend to award ourselves more credit/leniency than due.

Quick Reply

Latest