The Student Room Group

Universities that don't require great extra-curriculars?

Hey everyone. I'm an international student. Gonna apply to medicine this year. In my country we don't have a lot of opportunities to get relevant work experience, not even stuff like voluteering in care homes because we literally don't have any here. I did a 4 week internship at a reputed hospital but unfortunately the Human Resources guy allocated me to the Hospitality dept.(kitchen, laundry and waste management) where I didn't get to observe much. The only good thing about it was a 1 day discussion on first aid and emergency procedures. My contributions to school are decent, add in a day of fundraising for an organisation. I will probably be having almost a week of shadowing by the time I apply. I see most successful applicants have amazing ECs so I'm kinda worried about my own personal statement.
Where would I have the greatest chances of acceptance with poor ECs?
I would really like to give a shot to King's, Barts and Nottingham...not sure if it will be worth it though.

GCSEs: 7A* 1A
AS: 4As
A level predictions: pending, most probably gonna be 3A* 1A (good chance of 4A*)
I'm yet to give my UKCAT. I presume I'll score around 700 average (hoping for much higher but honestly haven't got an idea of where I stand).
Original post by lidiaislam13
Hey everyone. I'm an international student. Gonna apply to medicine this year. In my country we don't have a lot of opportunities to get relevant work experience, not even stuff like voluteering in care homes because we literally don't have any here. I did a 4 week internship at a reputed hospital but unfortunately the Human Resources guy allocated me to the Hospitality dept.(kitchen, laundry and waste management) where I didn't get to observe much. The only good thing about it was a 1 day discussion on first aid and emergency procedures. My contributions to school are decent, add in a day of fundraising for an organisation. I will probably be having almost a week of shadowing by the time I apply. I see most successful applicants have amazing ECs so I'm kinda worried about my own personal statement.
Where would I have the greatest chances of acceptance with poor ECs?
I would really like to give a shot to King's, Barts and Nottingham...not sure if it will be worth it though.

GCSEs: 7A* 1A
AS: 4As
A level predictions: pending, most probably gonna be 3A* 1A (good chance of 4A*)
I'm yet to give my UKCAT. I presume I'll score around 700 average (hoping for much higher but honestly haven't got an idea of where I stand).

You should really start revising for your UKCAT if you haven't already!

I recommend Medify
Reply 2
Original post by WhoDaresWins
You should really start revising for your UKCAT if you haven't already!

I recommend Medify

Yeah I did like half a month ago. I started with the 1000Q book but it makes me miserable it's so difficult. Finding Medify quite useful but struggling with VR and QR. I guess I need loads of practice. Have you given the UKCAT already?
Original post by lidiaislam13
Yeah I did like half a month ago. I started with the 1000Q book but it makes me miserable it's so difficult. Finding Medify quite useful but struggling with VR and QR. I guess I need loads of practice. Have you given the UKCAT already?

Yeah not too well :/
Got 653

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending