The Student Room Group

Chinese airline warns passengers about London areas populated by Pakistanis & blacks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Some of you yung 'uns sound very Alf Garnettish, and I'm not left or PC at all. Very conservative.

I regard Indian sikh and Hindu culture as one of our proudest links and I consider many Indian descent people as British as can be.

I think it is rather an odd conception of Britain to say it must be christain, blue eyed, etc. Our uniqueness is in our island geography and non-conformist, libertarian, evolutionary path.

Agree to disagree, they're still Indian.

It's not race exactly. These people might have families who've lived here for generations but that's beside the point. Do they have a right to live here? Sure. Are they truly British? No. Just as being Indian is more than a document, it's about the culture, language, heritage, racial identity etc (Same rule applies to eastern Europeans for example).
Original post by jake4198
"Avoid areas mainly population by Indians, Pakistanis and black people" is not the same as saying "avoid Indians, Pakistanis and black people".

"They could have easily said avoid areas with high crime rates. Or even better, gave them a list of the tourist spots in england. They chose their wording on purpose. Chinese residents in general have problems with minorities. Especially the older generation. That's well known. Have you ever heard about experiences from people of colour visiting china?"

It doesn't take a genius to know why they specified races. Nor does it take a genius to know why you're condoning it.

Those are the same groups of people that are significantly more likely to be treated horribly if they went to china than a white person would.
Original post by pairofjeans

What do you define as british culture? Serious question.

thought as much

but it can be defined like any other culture or is it only British culture you don't get?
Original post by BaconandSauce
no one has said they should be discriminated against

Straw man number 109.....

who said I said anyone was?

straw man number 110
thought as much

but it can be defined like any other culture or is it only British culture you don't get?

I'm aware of most other cultures. Specifically, I want to hear your answer for what you think the british culture is. Since you're so adamant that loads of families aren't embracing it. I at least want to know what you're defining it as before I agree/disagree..
I hate to break it to you but the areas that are full of blacks and Pakistanis are probably the last place a tourist would want to go, I mean think about it, these are areas like Ilford, Wimbledon, Acton, Hackney, Tower Hamlets. All sh*t holes
Original post by pairofjeans
. I at least want to know what you're defining it as before I agree/disagree..

thing is you don't get to tell me what my culture is nor do I have to explain to you what it is.
Original post by alevelstresss
who said I said anyone was?

your words

' it doesn't warrant people to discriminate against every single black'

apart from the poor English not a single person has said it's OK to to discriminate against every single black
Perhaps you should read what a straw man is before simply parroting back to me
thing is you don't get to tell me what my culture is nor do I have to explain to you what it is.

translation: "I can't think of a coherent/rational response to justify my narrow minded views so I'm just going to throw my toys out the pram".

You have no answer lmao
Original post by Tai Ga
translation: "I can't think of a coherent/rational response to justify my narrow minded views so I'm just going to throw my toys out the pram".

You have no answer lmao

Narrow minded for thinking there is such a thing as British culture

Would you say this about anyone else defending their culture (say Caribbean) or is it just the British culture you have issues with?
"I will await their response, and if an appropriate one is not forthcoming I shall feel forced to question whether Air China is a fit company to operate in the UK."

:rofl:

are you sure you wanna embargo them just over a ****ing leaflet... :rofl:
I thought tolerance was one of the core values of British culture. Looks like the Little Englanders in this thread aren't as "British" as they think they are 😂😂😂

Ultimately, it's a matter of self-identity. If a non-White, non-native identifies with the British culture having lived in Britain for most of his/her life, then they are British in my eyes.
Narrow minded for thinking there is such a thing as British culture

Would you say this about anyone else defending their culture (say Caribbean) or is it just the British culture you have issues with?

Define British culture.

Narrow minded as you, like several other posters here, think British culture only runs skin deep apparently.
Original post by Tai Ga
Define British culture.

Narrow minded as you, like several other posters here, think British culture only runs skin deep apparently.

I don't need to just like you wouldn't define Caribbean culture (which given it's nature would be much harder to define than mine)

It's usual only racists who deride other peoples culture

But no I've made no mention of skin colour in my posts I'm simply defending my culture from racists and bigots who claim we don't have one.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
I thought tolerance was one of the core values of British culture.

It is

But like most things it can be stretched and taken advantage of (and at that point we are know to become a little tetchy)
I don't need to just like you wouldn't define Caribbean culture (which given it's nature would be much harder to define than mine)

It's usual only racists who deride other peoples culture

But no I've made no mention of skin colour in my posts I'm simply defending my culture from racists and bigots who claim we don't have one.

I'm Caribbean and would really like to know what you mean by that?

It's really not difficult to define at all tbh :dontknow: There's so many branches of music (dancehall, soca, zouk). Different cultural foods, religion is largely christian. Wedding ceremony's are cultural as well etc. I can easily define Caribbean culture.

Surely you can do the same :h:

No one has said they're telling you what your culture is though. That's a strawman.

And no. I'm not forcing you to do anything. It's an innocent question. If you can't give an answer (or don't know yourself) then most of what you've been saying in this thread is pointless. Surely a patriotic brit like you should have no problem educating TSR members on british culture. What are these black/indian/pakistani families not doing that they should be? Will you say it's watching easterners? Or eating fish and chips?

If you realise that you yourself don't know what british culture is, just say so instead of dragging this on.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tai Ga

Surely you can do the same :h:

I doubt he can. Hes now resorted to "I know but I don't want/have to tell you!!!!"

Eventually he'll give in, then list some stuff that lots of black/pakistani/indian residents do anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)
the airline apologised, so all u idiots trying to justify what they did can give up now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'absurde
Agree to disagree, they're still Indian.

It's not race exactly. These people might have families who've lived here for generations but that's beside the point. Do they have a right to live here? Sure. Are they truly British? No. Just as being Indian is more than a document, it's about the culture, language, heritage, racial identity etc (Same rule applies to eastern Europeans for example).

And why should a Hindu not be British, when Paganism was here for eons before Christianity? When we are a mix of Basque, Viking, Roman etc? Eastern religions are in many ways more advanced and civilized.

I find people with your view very narrow and conservative. What you actually describe is not a unique Britishness, but a mere white christian European culture that is fairly generic.

Quick Reply

Latest