The Student Room Group

3 As Levels instead of 4?

I'm really considering just taking three instead of four, my schools' blocks have only worked out for people doing Medicine, and so every subject I actually want to take I can't. I picked Government and Politics, History, RE and English, however I'm dropping English because I am 99.9% terrible at poetry (i just don't see the appeal??:/) but I love my other three. My only other options to pick are Digital Technology, of which I hate and have been told is nearly impossible, Applied Health and Social, or Applied Business..

I didn't sit Business at GCSE so it will probably be really difficult to catch up on that and my mum won't allow me to do H&S (she see's it as a dud.)

Would I be safer just sitting the 3 that I am good at, and can work at getting good grades with my extra study periods, or should I risk sitting A. Business?

I am hoping to study Law, Politics, or History at Glasgow or Queens, Belfast.

Thanks for the help!:smile:
3 is perfectly fine to have, most universities only require 3 A Levels.

If you're really unsure about only taking 3, and worried that you didn't do a Business GCSE, it's okay. A Level Business is made to catch everyone up to speed, and everything learnt in GCSE will be re-taught in more detail, so you don't need to have prior knowledge before taking it as an A Level. Business is a pretty easy A Level to have, and as long as you're okay with research, comprehension and common sense, you should be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by soanonymous
3 is perfectly fine to have, most universities only require 3 A Levels.

If you're really unsure about only taking 3, and worried that you didn't do a Business GCSE, it's okay. A Level Business is made to catch everyone up to speed, and everything learnt in GCSE will be re-taught in more detail, so you don't need to have prior knowledge before taking it as an A Level. Business is a pretty easy A Level to have, and as long as you're okay with research, comprehension and common sense, you should be fine.

Yeah, I might speak to them about the Applied Business, because at least then I'll get the UCAS points from it:smile: Thank You!
Reply 3
Well, if you're going for Queens it shouldn't be any particular downside, to do 3. Btw, I'm hopefully applying to Queens too (albeit, as a backup). Live in Carrick :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ChrisD0
Well, if you're going for Queens it shouldn't be any particular downside, to do 3. Btw, I'm hopefully applying to Queens too (albeit, as a backup). Live in Carrick :smile:

Ah, I go to school in Ballymena.. Queens' is my backup, after Glasgow as well, purely because cheaper fees than overseas
Reply 5
Original post by nmeechan
Ah, I go to school in Ballymena.. Queens' is my backup, after Glasgow as well, purely because cheaper fees than overseas

Oh, are you going to the Queens open day tomorrow? Just wondering
Reply 6
Original post by ChrisD0
Oh, are you going to the Queens open day tomorrow? Just wondering

I'm only Lower 6th:/ but I think people from my school were at Queens earlier today? might have been Ulster though
Reply 7
Don't worry - only 3 AS Levels are fine. I did only 3 and ended up okay.

But yeah, if you really feel like you need to take 4, do Business - don't worry about not doing the GCSE, it's fine.
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
Don't worry - only 3 AS Levels are fine. I did only 3 and ended up okay.

But yeah, if you really feel like you need to take 4, do Business - don't worry about not doing the GCSE, it's fine.

so you didn't have any problemd applying with 3 AS Levels? That's a relief, just found out the Business class is full
Reply 9
Original post by nmeechan
so you didn't have any problemd applying with 3 AS Levels? That's a relief, just found out the Business class is full

Nope, got into Cambridge with 3 AS-Levels, I doubt you'll have a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest