The Student Room Group

History or International Relations?

Help, I'm writing my personal statement and it's quite limiting when you don't 100% know which course to study!
I love history, it's the thing that I'm the most interested in but there's no jobs that I imagine using history specifically in. I'm interested in politics and would like to work within the government to some extent in the future, that's why my brain is telling me to go with international relations.
My other main job aim is anything that allows me to friendly travel or perms fly work overseas. Is history really a desired qualification overseas?
It's not a case of that I'd get bored with the IR or not dedicate myself to it, I would. I'd just love to do history but can't see where it would take me? Some people have told be "its not what you've got the degree in, it's that you've got one" is there any truth behind this?
I know it's my decision to make but I am completely open to any thoughts anyone has on the matter, it'd actually help me out A LOT! Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Heatherjcs
Help, I'm writing my personal statement and it's quite limiting when you don't 100% know which course to study!
I love history, it's the thing that I'm the most interested in but there's no jobs that I imagine using history specifically in. I'm interested in politics and would love to work within the government to some extent in the future, that's why my Brian telling me to go with international relations.
It's not a case of that I'd get bored with the IR or not dedicate myself to it, I would. I'd just love to do history but can't see where it would take me? Some people have told be "its not what you've got the degree in, it's that you've got one" is there any truth behind this?
I know it's my decision to make but I am completely open to any thoughts anyone has on the matter, it'd actually help me out A LOT! Thanks!

I can see that 'Brian' is confused! :smile:

If you want to work in the civil service, there will be no real difference between having a degree in History or in IR, especially if you focus on modern times in the former.
It depends on your interests. History gives you more in my opinion. Remember: you could always do a joint honours.
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
I can see that 'Brian' is confused! :smile:

If you want to work in the civil service, there will be no real difference between having a degree in History or in IR, especially if you focus on modern times in the former.

Oh god, **brain!! Lol!!I wish I could blame it on whoever the Brian is but it's just my speech typing lol!And honestly? I had no idea that the two would be classed as being so similar? Thanks for the reply!
Reply 4
Original post by ivybridge
It depends on your interests. History gives you more in my opinion. Remember: you could always do a joint honours.

I do love history and I do well in it at school and it's something I read about outside of school as well. How come you think history gives you more? Thanks for the reply btw:h:
Oh god, **brain!! Lol!!I wish I could blame it on whoever the Brian is but it's just my speech typing lol!And honestly? I had no idea that the two would be classed as being so similar? Thanks for the reply!

Both 'train your brain'. Not your Brian...
I do love history and I do well in it at school and it's something I read about outside of school as well. How come you think history gives you more? Thanks for the reply btw:h:

No problem and because it does! You can study wider periods, look at more than just politics and economics, which is largely the concern of IR.

So, personally, I feel it gives you more. But you'll have to just think about what it is that captivates you most :smile:.
I love history, it's the thing that I'm the most interested in but there's no jobs that I imagine using history specifically in. I'm interested in politics and would like to work within the government to some extent in the future, that's why my brain is telling me to go with international relations.
My other main job aim is anything that allows me to friendly travel or perms fly work overseas. Is history really a desired qualification overseas?

It won't make a jot of difference if you do History or International Relations, for the majority of roles with government and in fact this is true with the majority of grad roles offered by most employers, it doesn't matter what subject you take.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending