The Student Room Group

C3: Polynomial Division.

Chapter: Algebraic Fractions
Mixed Exercise 1E. Question 5.

https://www.biochemtuition.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/C3-Algebra-fractions.pdf

I can get the answer using long division, but how do i do it using the factor theorem.

F(x)=(Ax^2+Bx+C)(X^2-1)+Dx+E

Is that wrong, if so how do i do it?
Eww colour

you let x^2 = 1 and the answer is C
There you compare coefficients for B
Original post by ValerieKR
Eww colour

you let x^2 = 1 and the answer is C
There you compare coefficients for B
I got D = 3 not C is their something i'm doing wrong? Is it not correct to do F(x)=(Ax^2+Bx+C)(X^2-1)+Dx+E?
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
I got D = 3 not C is their something i'm doing wrong? Is it not correct to do F(x)=(Ax^2+Bx+C)(X^2-1)+Dx+E?

Do you mean Q6, not Q5?
Original post by ValerieKR
Do you mean Q6, not Q5?
Alright now i know i'm messing something up. Still on Question 5, could you do the entire question? :h:
Alright now i know i'm messing something up. Still on Question 5, could you do the entire question? :h:

Just use long division.
Original post by RDKGames
Just use long division.
Yeah i know how to. But the person i'm showing wants to know how to do it using the remainder theorem :colonhash:
Yeah i know how to. But the person i'm showing wants to know how to do it using the factor theorem :colonhash:

The factor theorem just tests whether something is a factor of a function equaling 0. The remainder theorem will get you the remainder. Neither method will give you the full expression.
Reply 8

For Q5:

x4+2=(x21)(x2+B)+Cx^4 + 2 = (x^2 - 1)(x^2 + B) + C - now expand and compare coefficients.
Original post by Zacken
For Q5:

x4+2=(x21)(x2+B)+Cx^4 + 2 = (x^2 - 1)(x^2 + B) + C - now expand and compare coefficients.
Why just (X^2+B) and not (Ax^2 + Bx +C) ?
Reply 10
Why just (X^2+B) and not (Ax^2 + Bx +C) ?

Are we looking at the same question?

It say to find B,CB,C such that x4+2x21=x2+B+Cx21\displaystyle \frac{x^4 +2}{x^2 - 1} = x^2 + B + \frac{C}{x^2 - 1}. Multiply both sides by x21x^2 - 1 to turn it into a polynomial identity:

x4+2=(x21)(x2+B)+(x21)Cx21=(x21)(x2+B)+C\displaystyle x^4 + 2 = (x^2 - 1)(x^2 + B) + (x^2-1)\frac{C}{x^2 -1} = (x^2 -1)(x^2 + B) + C

I'm really not sure where your A,B, C has come from...

Quick Reply

Latest