The Student Room Group

Anyone who's doing Edexcel Japanese AS and A level 2017 and 2018?

I'm entering privately and studying the majority of the course myself. Does anyone have any useful resources or recommended textbooks? I also can't seem to find a vocab list (I don't know if one exists).

Scroll to see replies

I'm in the exact same situation as you. Unfortunately, I currently only have the Edexcel Japanese page http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/japanese-2008.html . However, if I find any more valuable resources, I will offer them to you via the thread. Past papers are a great tool for learning the mechanics of the exam and the fundamental. The specification has also proven useful to me. Good luck.
P.S, am I correct to believe that you are currently just staring year 12 in September 2016?
Original post by studyingha
I'm entering privately and studying the majority of the course myself. Does anyone have any useful resources or recommended textbooks? I also can't seem to find a vocab list (I don't know if one exists).

I'm in the exact same situation as you. Unfortunately, I currently only have the Edexcel Japanese page http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/japanese-2008.html . However, if I find any more valuable resources, I will offer them to you via the thread. Past papers are a great tool for learning the mechanics of the exam and the fundamental. The specification has also proven useful to me. Good luck.
P.S, am I correct to believe that you are currently just staring year 12 in September 2016?
Hi! I'm also a private candidate, but sitting both the AS and A2 this academic year. As there's no vocab list, I've been learning the JLPT N3/2 vocab instead, as that's apparently roughly the level you need to be at. I've heard people recommend Genki/Tobira for textbooks but I tend to just look up grammar points I don't understand when I come across them. I would personally recommend WaniKani (it's been a great help for structuring my learning) and reading as much as you can in Japanese! Graded Readers are pretty nice.
Reply 4
Thanks everyone. I'll check out the things you recommended and will start past papers once I memorise all the kanji needed. The website Memrise is pretty useful for studying JLPT vocab. I'm also in the process of making a flashcard deck of all the kanji needed on Anki which I'll share when I'm done. Pinkshirt- yes, I just started year 12.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'll keep watching this thread! The A Level Japanese community is so small (only 1000 entries last year argh); we should all support each other. I'm also making a deck for the kanji which shows the meaning and expects you to write the kanji - if you guys would find it helpful, I can share it when I'm done?
Reply 6
Yes! I would find that really helpful, please do share it when you're done :smile: I'll post any resources I find as well.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbw6gvj7cbap5nc/GCSE%20and%20AS%20Kanji.apkg?dl=0 GCSE and AS Kanji! Still in the process of adding the A2 ones. Let me know if you find this useful/any tips you have on improving them.

Learning wise, I now know all of the grammar for A Level Japanese, although I'm still a bit iffy with using some things. I can write the GCSE + half the AS kanji, and it looks like I'll have finished learning to write the kanji by Christmas. However, with the AS essays, I still have problems hitting the content points and getting above a 22 - does anyone have any tips?
Reply 8
hey!! I've started a-level Japanese this year too and in terms of grammar I'm using a text book aimed at n4 learners (try jlpt n4) and my teacher seems to think that'll be fine?? but I'm using minna no nihongo kanji book for kanji but I don't think the first volume will be enough for it lol
Original post by becky_ee
hey!! I've started a-level Japanese this year too and in terms of grammar I'm using a text book aimed at n4 learners (try jlpt n4) and my teacher seems to think that'll be fine?? but I'm using minna no nihongo kanji book for kanji but I don't think the first volume will be enough for it lol

Greetings! A Level grammar overall doesn't include any points harder than N3 grammar (and indeed doesn't even cover half of N3 grammar), so if you finish the N4 textbook and get started on the N3 one you should be fine for AS! I've personally never used minna no nihongo, though I've heard good things. It's nice to see another Japanese A Level taker, though - welcome! Here's hoping we can keep this thread alive and help each other out!
If anyone is doing the EdExcel course like myself, they have the official kanji list. If anyone would like it, please don't hesitate to contact me. I agree we're a small community, but we can make up with contributions and a great communal spirit!
Reply 11
Hello everyone, I've had more replies than expected which is nice :smile:. I've got a link to a useful resource that I'll post for whoever wants to check it out. It includes stroke order, readings and meanings of all the AS kanji and has a practice sheet with Japanese sentences and answers.
http://japanese4schools.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/AS-Kanji-Book-2009-Syllabus.pdf
Good luck everyone.
I'm a native speaker looking to do the full A level this year.
Even from a fluent speaker, the structures required are challenging but at the same time manageable.
If you have the chance, I'd recommend going online or going to a Japanese bookstore (there's one near the Japan Centre in London I think) to buy a simple manga with not too much complex writing. Things like Doraemon come to my mind now.
Memrise is very good, but I loved using quizlet for learning French, so it might be worth a try.
Original post by Suezu Arashi
I'm a native speaker looking to do the full A level this year.
Even from a fluent speaker, the structures required are challenging but at the same time manageable.
If you have the chance, I'd recommend going online or going to a Japanese bookstore (there's one near the Japan Centre in London I think) to buy a simple manga with not too much complex writing. Things like Doraemon come to my mind now.
Memrise is very good, but I loved using quizlet for learning French, so it might be worth a try.

I'm actually going into London on Friday and planning to stop by the Japan Centre :biggrin: welcome to the thread! It's nice to see someone else doing the full A Level this year - what units have you chosen? How are you revising? I have so many questions!
Original post by roarchika
I'm actually going into London on Friday and planning to stop by the Japan Centre :biggrin: welcome to the thread! It's nice to see someone else doing the full A Level this year - what units have you chosen? How are you revising? I have so many questions!

I'm not revising too much, definitely not at this stage.
Although I can deal with all the translations, comprehension that's required, I will need to do some research on a town or two, and remember the different structures using the edexcel spec. I'll probably look at town websites or just have a look around this winter when I'm out there :smile:
I'm not so sure about the units, haven't looked into it much.
Oh and I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have about Japanese (not the course) and Japan, if I can.
hey guys, just out of curiosity, if you did the gcse last year, what grade and marks on each section did you get??
hey guys, just out of curiosity, if you did the gcse last year, what grade and marks on each section did you get??

i did the one two years ago :biggrin:
the funny thing was, i got 299/300 and i lost the one mark cos i didn't know what the english meant haha!
I didn't know what 'prefecture' meant when i was in year 10 lol
[QUOTE=rayestar;68674892]i did the one two years ago :biggrin:
the funny thing was, i got 299/300 and i lost the one mark cos i didn't know what the english meant haha!
I didn't know what 'prefecture' meant when i was in year 10 lol
omg lol 😂😂

Full marks in reading/listening, dropped 1 mark in speaking (accidentally said 'bengoshi shitai' instead of 'benkyou shitai' - I caught myself and apologised during the test and managed to right myself), and 4 marks in writing (grrr).

Original post by Suezu Arashi
I'm not revising too much, definitely not at this stage.
Although I can deal with all the translations, comprehension that's required, I will need to do some research on a town or two, and remember the different structures using the edexcel spec. I'll probably look at town websites or just have a look around this winter when I'm out there :smile:
I'm not so sure about the units, haven't looked into it much.
Oh and I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have about Japanese (not the course) and Japan, if I can.

Fair enough! I think I'm going to go with literature units, since I find literature really easy to talk about. Thank you very much - that's a kind offer!
I have two questions I'd like to ask everyone if that's ok:
1) which exam board is your course?
2) which universities are you applying to?

Personally, I'm using Pearsons Edexcel and am applying to Oxford for 2018 as my first choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending