The Student Room Group

Should I pick A-level maths if I got a B in GCSE maths??

I'm thinking about my A-level choices and I'm considering maths because I enjoy it, at GCSE maths I got a high B. I was wondering if I should pick it because, I like maths but I know the jump from GCSEs to A levels is massive but I do think I'm very hard working, so will I struggle with just a B in gcse maths? should I consider picking something else? Also at my sixthform we had to take an A level maths entry exam and if we passed we could do maths at A levels and I did pass to do A level maths, but I'm still very conflicted.

I'm currently picking sociology, history and business studies (just for a year) and my gcse results were 4A*s 6As and 1B

Scroll to see replies

the highest person who got a b in gcse maths got a d in our school even some people who got a's failed
Original post by valdokarina
I'm thinking about my A-level choices and I'm considering maths because I enjoy it, at GCSE maths I got a high B. I was wondering if I should pick it because, I like maths but I know the jump from GCSEs to A levels is massive but I do think I'm very hard working, so will I struggle with just a B in gcse maths? should I consider picking something else? Also at my sixthform we had to take an A level maths entry exam and if we passed we could do maths at A levels and I did pass to do A level maths, but I'm still very conflicted.

I'm currently picking sociology, history and business studies (just for a year) and my gcse results were 4A*s 6As and 1B

Do you love algebra?
Reply 3
If you feel as if you are able to do well and that you are able to work hard then go for it

All of the people who got a B at GCSE Maths get extra lessons in college. There are people who got A* at GCSE ending up with D's- it is an unbelievable jump. If you have a reason you have to do it and will be motivated then by all means give it a go. But to get a good grade you will need to do a lot of work, past paper after past paper. If you want to though, go for it!
Reply 5
Original post by Kryptonian
Do you love algebra?

Algebra was my favourite topic in gcse maths it's just the long and wordy questions that let me down.
Algebra was my favourite topic in gcse maths it's just the long and wordy questions that let me down.

If you're good at it then that's good because A level maths is mainly algebra. Have a look at some exam papers now and see what you think.
Reply 7
Original post by Kryptonian
If you're good at it then that's good because A level maths is mainly algebra. Have a look at some exam papers now and see what you think.

Alright, thank you very much!!

Do it for AS atleast since AS is easy and will be better than not doing it. I know people who got C's at GCSE who got an A at AS maths.

If you work hard- you shouldn't struggle.
I literally just turned up for my GCSE exams and managed to get a B in maths. But having worked hard for 2 years I ended up with an A* (only losing 8 UMS across the whole a level). On the other hand, I know people with straight As who then failed their a levels. So it is not about your previous grades, but about the attitude you adopt when undertaking your a-levels. However, it is sad to say that sometimes even having worked exceptionally hard- some people just can't get a decent grade in it. If you feel like you are naturally good at maths and willing to miss some sleep because of it, then you should definitely do it.
Original post by zainyyyyy
the highest person who got a b in gcse maths got a d in our school even some people who got a's failed

wow
It really depends on why you only got a B at GCSE. Were you lazy or did you find it difficult? You will need to understand a lot of the A* parts of GCSE maths (especially algebra) very well as lots of topics at A Level build on these.

I am a maths teacher, and the majority of students who do A Level Maths with a B at GCSE do not do very well. However, one of my students last year got a B at GCSE and ended up with an A* in A Level after working his absolute socks off.

At A level it's more to do with the work you put in - if you put aside time to practice and make sure you ask for help when you encounter something you don't understand you should be fine. And if you enjoy the subject, I don't see why not (if you decide to take it then find a little ways into the course that it isn't for you, you can always drop it or swap it if your college allows).
GCSE grade isn't a very accurate prediction of how you'll do at A level.
I got an A in gcse Maths, 3 marks of an A* ...yet got an E at Maths AS with a personal tutor... For some people, maths stops at gcse, and for some people, their brain is capable of A level. It is really up to you.. How mathematical do you think your brain is?
Original post by Nuggetsarelife
Do it for AS atleast since AS is easy and will be better than not doing it. I know people who got C's at GCSE who got an A at AS maths.

I wanted to do AS maths but my sixthform sadly doesn't offer it :frown:
cB

This video was made for people in your situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18tZswvlLr4&feature=youtu.be
Reply 16
Original post by Nuggetsarelife

What did they get for A2?
Based on my year's performance, I don't know anyone who got a B at gcse who went on to get above a C at A-level
Reply 18
So I got 2A's in GCSE maths and fm and I scraped a B at AS because I found the C2 exam ridiculously hard. I didn't work as hard as I could and I paid the price for it.

If you're really willing to work your a*** off for 2 years of course you could do it, you'll have to enjoy algebra, though
Original post by Rajive
What did they get for A2?

Majority dropped it cos A2 gets very hard but we're entering year 13 now so we'll see for those who kept it😉

Quick Reply

Latest