The Student Room Group

AS Level Maths Advice and Support

So....I just started off my as year at my local college, and for some reason I think its a lot harder than GCSE. I am taking this because I got an overall A* grade on Maths and I show enthusiasm towards maths, which is why I am choosing this year. And I'm not the type of guy who leaves the work later on to be finished and I did practise Maths every now and then.

So my question is should I feel petrified and feel intimidated by the maths or shall I carry along by what I was doing at GCSE?

Thank you for helping me out and answering my question out XOXOX:h:
Original post by ARK_REVISES
So....I just started off my as year at my local college, and for some reason I think its a lot harder than GCSE. I am taking this because I got an overall A* grade on Maths and I show enthusiasm towards maths, which is why I am choosing this year. And I'm not the type of guy who leaves the work later on to be finished and I did practise Maths every now and then.

So my question is should I feel petrified and feel intimidated by the maths or shall I carry along by what I was doing at GCSE?

Thank you for helping me out and answering my question out XOXOX:h:

It would help if you could tell us what exactly you're having trouble with. It's normal to find that there's a jump in difficulty between GCSE and A-Level, but the best way to deal with this is to practise algebraic manipulation, as this is where students often initially have trouble.
Original post by HapaxOromenon3
It would help if you could tell us what exactly you're having trouble with. It's normal to find that there's a jump in difficulty between GCSE and A-Level, but the best way to deal with this is to practise algebraic manipulation, as this is where students often initially have trouble.

well, I still didnt start the maths lessons properly but its like something new that I haven't encountered before.

And I think I am more worried about the jump from GCSE to A level.

Could I ask you how many hours do you recommend to me to spend for maths outside lessons?
well, I still didnt start the maths lessons properly but its like something new that I haven't encountered before.

And I think I am more worried about the jump from GCSE to A level.

Could I ask you how many hours do you recommend to me to spend for maths outside lessons?

Spend however long you need as long as you're up to date with topics (or beyond) and understand everything. You'll get used to it, no need to worry.
Original post by RDKGames
Spend however long you need as long as you're up to date with topics (or beyond) and understand everything. You'll get used to it, no need to worry.

Have you done AS maths? And if you did it, what did you get?

Also what other courses did you take?
Have you done AS maths? And if you did it, what did you get?

Also what other courses did you take?

I took Maths and Further Maths at AS then A2. Got A* and B respectively in the end.

My other course was Business Studies.
Original post by RDKGames
I took Maths and Further Maths at AS then A2. Got A* and B respectively in the end.

My other course was Business Studies.

Respect man, You have my respect. And G'luck on the future.

Quick Reply

Latest