The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Erm.. :colondollar:
I got 75 in maths by computer, giving an 83% average for the assignments I actually did, but I can't program really to be honest.

What did you use / what kind of tasks did you have to do? I ask because for my programming modules in the first year, they didn't really teach you how to actually do what the assignments were set and to be honest the stuff we were doing was a load of rubbish and not particularly useful per se, though the logic behind the coding and transferable skills were useful.
"How are you feeling right now?"

If someone asked me this a week ago, I would have said I was ready to give up on my dream and everything I have worked for. I was in a bad place, I lost all motivation and worst of all, I just felt like my mind was filled with thoughts that wouldn't escape me and I just wanted to leave and never come back. I lost so much sleep, I was falling behind and all I could do was cry and wallow in self pity. Whilst feeling sorry for myself seemed like a great plan, I realised how much I needed to change. If that goal of A*AA should ever be in my reach, it needs to start with me revising and working so hard that I cry with tears of joy - not sadness. I'm sorry to those I have ignored these past few days, but sometimes all you need is time away from people and to figure out what you want in life. It's no use crying about life when you have the potential and power to change, motivation is key but if you don't have the right attitude and people around you, take a step back and if needs be, cut contact with those who put you down and move on. I lived off about fourty five minutes of sleep each night, I got so ill this summer but it made me realise and become determined for the challenges ahead and to finally prove to people that "I can do this, nothing will stand in my way."

I started school yesterday and whilst it was chaotic and challenging and having to deal with massive timetable clashes, I'm glad to say that my coursework is finally being done and I'm working so hard - it's almost like it isn't me who is saying and doing all of this. I have a plan of when I will revise, I am now ahead of my class and reading my textbooks and specs as well as finding out when my exams are to get a rough plan of when I need to prepare myself. Right now my priority is revising content from AS, reading new topics for A2 and practising essay skills. If I start now, my target grades are well in my reach. Also, I recommend classical music to get you motivated and to cleanse your mind if you need to revise with music!

I'm in a much better place now, reading the blog that @Gingerbread101 started on her journey to a Law degree empowered me, her handwriting is beautiful :love:, her stationery collection is to die for and she made me realise how important revising is. Please check her revision methods out and her amazing journey because I credit her so much.

I also want to thank @SeanFM for listening to my rants, understanding and actually believing in me when many people never did. He's an asset to the site, he's a Maths genius, he's always on hand for amazing advice and he never lets you down. I'm sorry Sean for ignoring you recently but it was for my own good, I had time to reflect on my thoughts and future and you made me realise (from our last conversation) that if anyone has the power to change, it's me and right now I should focus on myself and the future. (PS; I'll finally show you those notes I have made! :colondollar:)

Reading the threads that has made also made me happy, he's such a nice guy and so funny, he really uplifted my moods and even though people take him like Marmite, he is an incredible person and so intelligent. He will go far.

@CoolCavy and @Salamandastron this one is for you two, two of the most amazing people on here who make me a better person. Every time you guys are happy, everyone is happy. You are inspirations to us all and honestly I wish I had the pleasure of knowing you both in real life, you may not realise how brilliant you are but I do and I wanted to say that you will both go so far in life. I want to hug you both so much, please, never change and never listen to those who put you down or tell you that you can't do anything because you can.

This applies to everyone, if someone tells you that you are worthless, you aren't of importance and you don't deserve anything, prove them wrong by working hard and getting to where you want in life. I know it's easy for me to say this, but we can only go so far in life depending on how we let ourselves get there. We have the power to change our futures and destinies.

If someone like me who has lived off Lucozade and Red Bull can find this motivation after utter crap (I won't go into detail), then you all can. If that means finding a new hobby or challenging yourself to get into the mood, by all means do it! Prove the doubters wrong and get to your dreams. I am sorry if this sounds like attention seeking or it's too long, but I wanted people to hear just how I have found the voice in the back of my head to tell me to shape up and work hard. It's never too late, never let those around you put you down.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
What did you use / what kind of tasks did you have to do? I ask because for my programming modules in the first year, they didn't really teach you how to actually do what the assignments were set and to be honest the stuff we were doing was a load of rubbish and not particularly useful per se, though the logic behind the coding and transferable skills were useful.

That's a pretty apt description. I dunno, we had to do some linear algebra, differential equations and probability stuff. Pretty boring. I just looked up how to do every little thing I needed to do.
Original post by Rhythmical

If someone asked me this a week ago, I would have said I was ready to give up on my dream and everything I have worked for. I was in a bad place, I lost all motivation and worst of all, I just felt like my mind was filled with thoughts that wouldn't escape me and I just wanted to leave and never come back. I lost so much sleep, I was falling behind and all I could do was cry and wallow in self pity. Whilst feeling sorry for myself seemed like a great plan, I realised how much I needed to change. If that goal of A*AA should ever be in my reach, it needs to start with me revising and working so hard that I cry with tears of joy - not sadness. I'm sorry to those I have ignored these past few days, but sometimes all you need is time away from people and to figure out what you want in life. It's no use crying about life when you have the potential and power to change, motivation is key but if you don't have the right attitude and people around you, take a step back and if needs be, cut contact with those who put you down and move on. I lived off about fourty five minutes of sleep each night, I got so ill this summer but it made me realise and become determined for the challenges ahead and to finally prove to people that "I can do this, nothing will stand in my way."

I started school yesterday and whilst it was chaotic and challenging and having to deal with massive timetable clashes, I'm glad to say that my coursework is finally being done and I'm working so hard - it's almost like it isn't me who is saying and doing all of this. I have a plan of when I will revise, I am now ahead of my class and reading my textbooks and specs as well as finding out when my exams are to get a rough plan of when I need to prepare myself. Right now my priority is revising content from AS, reading new topics for A2 and practising essay skills. If I start now, my target grades are well in my reach. Also, I recommend classical music to get you motivated and to cleanse your mind if you need to revise with music!

I'm in a much better place now, reading the blog that @Gingerbread101 started on her journey to a Law degree empowered me, her handwriting is beautiful :love:, her stationery collection is to die for and she made me realise how important revising is. Please check her revision methods out and her amazing journey because I credit her so much.

I also want to thank @SeanFM for listening to my rants, understanding and actually believing in me when many people never did. He's an asset to the site, he's a Maths genius, he's always on hand for amazing advice and he never lets you down. I'm sorry Sean for ignoring you recently but it was for my own good, I had time to reflect on my thoughts and future and you made me realise (from our last conversation) that if anyone has the power to change, it's me and right now I should focus on myself and the future. (PS; I'll finally show you those notes I have made! :colondollar:)

Reading the threads that @ihatePE has made also made me happy, he's such a nice guy and so funny, he really uplifted my moods and even though people take him like Marmite, he is an incredible person and so intelligent. He will go far.

@CoolCavy and @Salamandastron this one is for you two, two of the most amazing people on here who make me a better person. Every time you guys are happy, everyone is happy. You are inspirations to us all and honestly I wish I had the pleasure of knowing you both in real life, you may not realise how brilliant you are but I do and I wanted to say that you will both go so far in life. I want to hug you both so much, please, never change and never listen to those who put you down or tell you that you can't do anything because you can.

This applies to everyone, if someone tells you that you are worthless, you aren't of importance and you don't deserve anything, prove them wrong by working hard and getting to where you want in life. I know it's easy for me to say this, but we can only go so far in life depending on how we let ourselves get there. We have the power to change our futures and destinies.

If someone like me who has lived off Lucozade and Red Bull can find this motivation after utter crap (I won't go into detail), then you all can. If that means finding a new hobby or challenging yourself to get into the mood, by all means do it! Prove the doubters wrong and get to your dreams. I am sorry if this sounds like attention seeking or it's too long, but I wanted people to hear just how I have found the voice in the back of my head to tell me to shape up and work hard. It's never too late, never let those around you put you down.

:cry2: that is quite beautiful.

Not to detract from the seriousness of your post, but can't believe you aren't motivated by me to clean your room and stuff :rofl:
Original post by SeanFM
:cry2: that is quite beautiful.

Not to detract from the seriousness of your post, but can't believe you aren't motivated by me to clean your room and stuff :rofl:

Well I try to be as philosophical as much as I can :h: and erm I haven't had anything from you to tell me to tidy up :colone: unless you meant me getting my mum to do it.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
That's a pretty apt description. I dunno, we had to do some linear algebra, differential equations and probability stuff. Pretty boring. I just looked up how to do every little thing I needed to do.

Fair point, I imagine the tasks to have been quite contrived and like 'okay, I know these bits of code to do x y z but I don't think like I've actually learned anything' kind of thing. To solve that, I'd recommend working through a book or something (eg R in action) or something to do with Excel, or anything really where you can say to employers - right, I got through this book and can do this kind of thing as well as have these transferable skills.. it's a starter for 10 and you'd be surprised, maybe something maths/finance-y may involve use of that or some other code - they do on my placement. Lots of Excel, R and Python going on.. and that's all I know about :lol: apart from SQL etc.. so that's something to think about anyway, you have the grades which I think are far more than the minimum / expected / required grades which is more impressive than anything, and you just need to work on (if possible... find out) the things that make you struggle or feel incompetent or anything like that.

*I mentioned coding because it's a useful skill and you've had some experience already so it could be a starter for 10 where you don't feel.. useless.. which I appreciate that you may feel when you've tried working.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well I try to be as philosophical as much as I can :h: and erm I haven't had anything from you to tell me to tidy up :colone: unless you meant me getting my mum to do it.

Are you telling me that my blog was uninspiring? :hide: :toofunny: it helps with your work ya know. When you do it yourself, not when your mum does it :rofl:

Good to hear that you've found this burst of like.. action though.

Spoiler

Original post by Reachin4TheStars

Spoiler

How did she get the showerhead off the shower???
Original post by SeanFM
Are you telling me that my blog was uninspiring? :hide: :toofunny: it helps with your work ya know. When you do it yourself, not when your mum does it :rofl:

Good to hear that you've found this burst of like.. action though.

Well I have tidied up but aren't you proud that I am note taking and revising :cry: that comes first. But in all seriousness thank you, like god knows how much I rant to you :lol:.

Spoiler

Please don't suffer in silence, PM me I'm always here for those who need someone to talk to :hugs:
Well I have tidied up but aren't you proud that I am note taking and revising :cry: that comes first. But in all seriousness thank you, like god knows how much I rant to you :lol:.

I am :lol: and I didn't make up all of that change stuff to inspire you, I actually believe that it's true and I'd love to see the fruits of your labour :lol: definitely a step in the right direction, even if it is awfully early.

:hat2:

Spoiler

Lost for words.. what is wrong with some people? :s-smilie:

I'm... sorry. It must hurt and put you in a really bad place emotionally. :s-smilie:
Original post by SeanFM
I am :lol: and I didn't make up all of that change stuff to inspire you, I actually believe that it's true and I'd love to see the fruits of your labour :lol: definitely a step in the right direction, even if it is awfully early.

:hat2:

Well let's see how long I can keep this up for :lol: and you want to see the fruits of my labour? I don't plant fruits :rofl: but what did you mean?
feeling meh and hungry...
Well let's see how long I can keep this up for :lol: and you want to see the fruits of my labour? I don't plant fruits :rofl: but what did you mean?

Don't burn yourself out :tongue: :hide: today someone sent me some lecture notes for a 3rd year uni module.. it was 3079 slides long :hide: and I cracked up because it's one of those powerpoints where each slide adds one line to the preceding slide.. :s-smilie: but anyway I hope to have completed that module before starting uni so I get what it's like to be keen but at the same time don't over do it :hide: and get as much sleep as possible :erm: even if it isn't easy at the best of times.

;lol: your notes and stuff :colondollar:
Original post by Boss_Rhythm
How did she get the showerhead off the shower???

I was standing at the bathroom sink and brushing my teeth and she pulled the wire thing attached to the showerhead and hit me with it. 😔
I was standing at the bathroom sink and brushing my teeth and she pulled the wire thing attached to the showerhead and hit me with it. 😔

On purpose?
Original post by homeland.lsw
feeling meh and hungry...

Hungry? Good.

Meh? You need my help.

Spoiler

Reading the threads that @ihatePE has made also made me happy, he's such a nice guy and so funny, he really uplifted my moods and even though people take him like Marmite, he is an incredible person and so intelligent. He will go far.

You're making me so emotional :cry2:

Honestly, thank you so much, you don't know how much it means to me that the stuff I post on here helps other people :love:

Please don't suffer in silence, PM me I'm always here for those who need someone to talk to :hugs:

Thank you so much for you're support 😌 & I will do 👍🏼

Spoiler

Did you ever hold up the deal and get to praying? @Rhythmical

Latest