The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm stuck between optometry and pharmacy

How much physics will there be in optometry as I don't like physics
Original post by Fireplace123

It's mainly optics, I contacted the uni I'm applying to and they said no knowledge is assumed.

Here's a link where you can have a look at the basics:

http://www.a-levelphysicstutor.com/index-optics.php
Reply 22
Hey, I'm now a second year Optom at the University of Manchester :smile: Let me know if you have any questions.
Original post by TSR4LYF
Hey, I'm now a second year Optom at the University of Manchester :smile: Let me know if you have any questions.

Do you like the course? What did you get in AS and A2?
Has anyone started their personal statement?
Original post by TSR4LYF

Hi have you looked in to becoming an optometrist working in a hospital setting? This is something I'd prefer over working for a big chain optician so if you've got any tips that'd be great. Have you done or will you be doing any placements at the Manchester royal eye hospital?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by ApplyYourself
Hi have you looked in to becoming an optometrist working in a hospital setting? This is something I'd prefer over working for a big chain optician so if you've got any tips that'd be great. Have you done or will you be doing any placements at the Manchester royal eye hospital?

Hi! Yes, I have! Manchester offers a weeks placement at MREH at the end of second year during the summer. In terms of tips, I'd suggest trying to get some work experience in a hospital? While it isn't necessary at all, and can be really difficult to get, it will shine on your application.
Original post by ammaarah01
I'm currently working at specsavers and from September I am planning on going back to college to study a level bio and resit a level chem.

I will be applying for optometry this year at Manchester and Bradford 😏

Oh wow! What made you decide to go back to college and do A-levels? How old are you now?
Reply 28
Original post by TheAlphaParticle
Do you like the course? What did you get in AS and A2?

Loving the course so far, although I did feel there were some modules that didn't seem 'necessary' for an optometrist. But they're changing that now for applicants of 2017 so shouldn't be a problem!

For AS I got ABCC
For A2 I got AAB

I did Bio, chem, physics, maths, and dropped physics.
Reply 29
Original post by Fireplace123

At Manchester, there's very little physics. Out of 12 modules or so in first year, only one of them is dedicated to physics - it's not too difficult and it's simple maths from AS. Even if you didn't do maths, there's a compulsory maths module which will get you up to speed. Hope that helps.
Original post by TSR4LYF
Hi! Yes, I have! Manchester offers a weeks placement at MREH at the end of second year during the summer. In terms of tips, I'd suggest trying to get some work experience in a hospital? While it isn't necessary at all, and can be really difficult to get, it will shine on your application.

That's I bet you can't wait for that!!
Did you have any experience prior to starting your degree?
I done work experience in august 2015.. it was meant to be for a week but I only did it for 3 days and then never went back after my terrible AS results.. didn't know whether I wanted to do optometry or not.. but here I am back.. still chasing optometry.. does my work experience still count ? all I did was admin work and answering phone calls for those few days lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSR4LYF
At Manchester, there's very little physics. Out of 12 modules or so in first year, only one of them is dedicated to physics - it's not too difficult and it's simple maths from AS. Even if you didn't do maths, there's a compulsory maths module which will get you up to speed. Hope that helps.

Hey man how much of a level content comes up in optometry? Or is it totally from scratch?
I mean do they expect you to remember stuff from AS ?
Posted from TSR Mobile
I just saw this trending! I am a 3rd year student at City Uni, ask away! If you need any help on ps writing or anything in particular feel free to pm happy to help! Also as mentioned by another student there is the option for hospitals although its very competitive. I currently work in an Ophthalmology department and its great! I've worked in a multiple (Specsavers) before too!
Original post by Philip-flop
Oh wow! What made you decide to go back to college and do A-levels? How old are you now?

I wanted to do optometry since year ten but I didn't continue a level maths or do bio so applied for chemistry in 2015 and did one semester at uni then thought naaaaa I don't wanna do this so left.

I'm 19.
I wanted to do optometry since year ten but I didn't continue a level maths or do bio so applied for chemistry in 2015 and did one semester at uni then thought naaaaa I don't wanna do this so left.

I'm 19.

Hats off to you for being so brave!! Did you say you're self-teaching A-level Maths and Biology now then? or are you going back to college?
Hats off to you for being so brave!! Did you say you're self-teaching A-level Maths and Biology now then? or are you going back to college?

Hahha thanks yeah it is quite challenging cuz I have to study as and a2 at the same time and am going into college to study bio and I've decided not to do maths but just re sit Chem 😏 are you thinking of applying for optom and what a level do you study!?
Hahha thanks yeah it is quite challenging cuz I have to study as and a2 at the same time and am going into college to study bio and I've decided not to do maths but just re sit Chem 😏 are you thinking of applying for optom and what a level do you study!?

Yeah that'll be a lot of work if you were doing AS and A2 Maths on top of AS and A2 Biology in one year tbh! Do you know what exam board you will be studying Biology with?

Optometry has been in the back of my mind but I still haven't quite decided yet :/
Yeah that'll be a lot of work if you were doing AS and A2 Maths on top of AS and A2 Biology in one year tbh! Do you know what exam board you will be studying Biology with?

Optometry has been in the back of my mind but I still haven't quite decided yet :/

Yeah am doing OCR but I've heard the exams are more harder now compared when the old spec 😁 ohhhhhhh what other degrees are you thinking of doing!?
Yeah am doing OCR but I've heard the exams are more harder now compared when the old spec 😁 ohhhhhhh what other degrees are you thinking of doing!?

Yeah I've heard many students have been struggling with the new spec!! I'm 23 years old so I haven't decided whether going to University is the best option. To me University is a huge investment that should be considered very carefully :frown:

Also it depends what kind of grades I get :P
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest