The Student Room Group

Oxford for medicine

Could I apply to Oxford for medicine with 9A*s and 3As?

Scroll to see replies

Yes. Your proportion of A* isn't very good for Oxford, and since they shortlist for interview based on GCSEs and the BMAT, you'd most likely have to do really well in the BMAT to get an interview. It isn't impossible though, so if you have your heart set on Oxford, do by all means apply :smile:
Original post by Asian5

Yes. Their average number of A*s is around 10. But remember that's an average and people will be above and below that. If you have a strong BMAT score and personal statement you shouldn't feel like you can't get in.
No. Please apply to Keele
Reply 4
Dude, go for it by all means. Remember that medicine is competitive as hell, so if there's an admissions test then ace it, and prepare very well for the interviews.
Best of luck my friend.
Yes although your proportion of A*s (0.75) is lower than the average shortlisted applicant (0.94).
Reply 6
Is it worth applying with 2A*A at alevel
I'm gonna be the devil's advocate and put the question across to you. What is your objective of gaining an oxford education, is it just to become a doctor? is it to work as part of the NHS? if so, then your place at oxford (if you get accepted) is pretty much just as valuable as someone from a less reputed university. People go to oxford for med school thinking they will gain something extra, only to find out that they have ended up in the same position with the same starting salary as their co-junior doctors from other Uni's. The point i'm trying to make is that you should only go to oxford if you actually dream to do something beyond being part of a system. But if your end goal is just to work in a private practice or in the NHS then you will feel incredibly downgraded from the hard work that you put in and what you could have achieved from your education in oxford.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by abzz11
Is it worth applying with 2A*A at alevel

Predicted grades are not a massive factor in shortlisting candidates for interviews as long as you meet the minimum grade requirements.
Original post by PimpNamedSlikbak
I'm gonna be the devil's advocate and put the question across to you. What is your objective of gaining an oxford education, is it just to become a doctor? is it to work as part of the NHS? if so, then your place at oxford (if you get accepted) is pretty much just as valuable as someone from a less reputed university. People go to oxford for med school thinking they will gain something extra, only to find out that they have ended up in the same position with the same starting salary as their co-junior doctors from other Uni's. The point i'm trying to make is that you should only go to oxford if you actually dream to do something beyond being part of a system. But if your end goal is just to work in a private practice or in the NHS then you will feel incredibly downgraded from the hard work that you put in and what you could have achieved from your education in oxford.

Maybe they like the course structure/uni life/location better than another place?
It's not all about prestige sometimes.
Original post by surina16
Yes although your proportion of A*s (0.75) is lower than the average shortlisted applicant (0.94).

This is basically your answer, but if you get an awesome BMAT score that could be made up for!

Original post by Asian5
[QUOTE="tcameron;67476480"]Maybe they like the course structure/uni life/location better than another place?
It's not all about prestige sometimes.[/QUOTE

I heavily doubt it, why would you want to work twice as hard as someone else when you know your end result will be the same, its not humanly logical. As for location, living in a small town isn't what universities students would call appealing, which leaves one to assume that the only reason people go to oxford is to benefit from the higher quality of education, prestige and for connection making.
(edited 7 years ago)
[QUOTE="PimpNamedSlikbak;67478342"]
Original post by tcameron
Maybe they like the course structure/uni life/location better than another place?

I heavily doubt it, why would you want to work twice as hard as someone else when you know your end result will be the same, its not humanly logical. As for location, living in a small town isn't what universities students would call appealing, which leaves one to assume that the only reason people go to oxford is to benefit from the higher quality of education, prestige and for connection making.

Not necessarily.
[QUOTE="PimpNamedSlikbak;67478342"]
Original post by tcameron

Have you studied medicine in Oxford as well as other unis? How would you know exactly that the work is twice as hard. You're basically saying no one should study Oxford medicine because there are easier places to study at which is really counter productive. Some students prefer smaller towns, it's a preference. Anyways if they're going for prestige reasons there's nothing wrong with that - Oxford needs it's med students just as much as any other uni.
Reply 14
Original post by studentsixth
Predicted grades are not a massive factor in shortlisting candidates for interviews as long as you meet the minimum grade requirements.

That's not my predictions ? They are what i achieved
Original post by abzz11
That's not my predictions ? They are what i achieved

Sorry, you hadn't specified this. They meet the requirements so as long as your GCSEs are good/BMAT score is strong you'll be fine.
Reply 16
Original post by Asian5

Could someone tell me how good my BMAT needs to actually be? As I have looked through the website and it says a good score would be around 6.2 in S1 and S2?
Original post by Asian5
Could someone tell me how good my BMAT needs to actually be? As I have looked through the website and it says a good score would be around 6.2 in S1 and S2?

With 0.75 pA* you are looking for about 7 in each section according to this.

http://uclmedic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/how-oxford-use-bmat-and-gcses-guide-to.html?m=1
Reply 18
Original post by studentsixth
With 0.75 pA* you are looking for about 7 in each section according to this.

http://uclmedic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/how-oxford-use-bmat-and-gcses-guide-to.html?m=1

Come on, 9A* and 3A is clearly a competitive group of results. People will say it's not quite the average, but 9A* and 3A is still a good set of results and I would arguably say it's better than 8A* and 2A even though the percentage of A* to GCSE isn't as good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending