The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Treblebee
Oh, for Latin we're also using CLC (and the set texts)...
Yay, fellow music geek! *high-five* And good luck with the grade 5 theory :h:
I play the piano, taught by my dad. I'm hoping (if I do tonnes of practise between now and the end of September, by which point we'll need to decide if I should) to take grade 7 in November! It sounds rly scary, tho... xp
Yh, I chose my username bc I like music (hence "treble":wink: and also bees (hence "bee":wink:. Nice pun, btw! :wink:

Wow, grade 7 does sound scary!! :eek: But if you practice loads you'll be fine :h: And since your dad teaches you piano then you can always ask him for help!
Good luck for November!
Reply 501
Hey, new to the thread. I'm @beanzz.
I'm taking:
English Language + Lit (AQA)
Maths (Edexcel)
Religious Studies (Edexcel)
German (Edexcel)
Triple Science (AQA)
History (Edexcel)
ICT (WJEC)

BTEC Art (Edexcel)

I'm dreading English this year and right now art makes me want to die 👍. Hoping to take Chemistry and Biology at A-level and stuck between picking the other two. Want to be a dietitian? Hopefully study at Uni of Nottingham or King's College London (although ££££). I also really enjoy art (despite aforementioned dying). Am also head of yearbook committee this year - I was not ready to put this much effort into year 11 hah
Original post by beanzz
Hey, new to the thread. I'm @beanzz.
I'm taking:
English Language + Lit (AQA)
Maths (Edexcel)
Religious Studies (Edexcel)
German (Edexcel)
Triple Science (AQA)
History (Edexcel)
ICT (WJEC)

BTEC Art (Edexcel)

I'm dreading English this year and right now art makes me want to die 👍. Hoping to take Chemistry and Biology at A-level and stuck between picking the other two. Want to be a dietitian? Hopefully study at Uni of Nottingham or King's College London (although ££££). I also really enjoy art (despite aforementioned dying). Am also head of yearbook committee this year - I was not ready to put this much effort into year 11 hah

Hey, welcome to the thread! :tongue:

How are you finding English? What about it are you dreading? Is it the spec you're finding intimidating, or something else? Well, I can't really offer any advice because I'm WJEC for English Language and Literature, but we're all kind of in the same boat, I guess; we're all the first year group to be graded via the new mark scheme, after all.

You're the only other person I've seen who's studying WJEC I.C.T. What route are you? I'm Route B, and I really enjoy it. I.C.T is currently my favourite subject as it's a break from all the other academic subjects. You may not enjoy I.C.T, and that's fine of course. I'm just curious to see how you find the subject.

See you around!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 503
Original post by Just Some Person
Hey, welcome to the thread! :tongue:

How are you finding English? What about it are you dreading? Is it the spec you're finding intimidating, or something else? Well, I can't really offer any advice because I'm WJEC for English Language and Literature, but we're all kind of in the same boat, I guess; we're all the first year group to be graded via the new mark scheme, after all.

You're the only other person I've seen who's studying WJEC I.C.T. What route are you? I'm Route B, and I really enjoy it. I.C.T is currently my favourite subject as it's a break from all the other academic subjects. You may not enjoy I.C.T, and that's fine of course. I'm just curious to see how you find the subject.

See you around!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi (::

I've consistently got good grades in English, I've just found it dull since Year 10. I think it's all well and good finding and analysing quotes in lessons, but during exams it doesn't feel the same, y'know? Also creative writing is the most intimidating thing, I think. How are you finding the new mark scheme?

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, I have no idea what routes you're talking about. Our teacher hasn't said anything about routes? I'm generally indifferent about ICT - we completed units 2 and 4 in year 10, and just started unit 1 yesterday. I really don't mind it, but it's definitely not my favourite. Did your school do it the same way (coursework first)?
Anyone want to be study buddies? I need motivation haha
(I do aqa Spanish, aqa geography, aqa English lit and Lang, edexcel maths, ocr triple science and edexcel Religious education)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beanzz
Hi (::

I've consistently got good grades in English, I've just found it dull since Year 10. I think it's all well and good finding and analysing quotes in lessons, but during exams it doesn't feel the same, y'know? Also creative writing is the most intimidating thing, I think. How are you finding the new mark scheme?

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, I have no idea what routes you're talking about. Our teacher hasn't said anything about routes? I'm generally indifferent about ICT - we completed units 2 and 4 in year 10, and just started unit 1 yesterday. I really don't mind it, but it's definitely not my favourite. Did your school do it the same way (coursework first)?

English Language is okay for me I suppose, but English Literature is slightly daunting at the moment. I totally understand your comment about the exam environment; though I've never really felt like that in an exam, I know that pressure can sometimes get the better of us. The new mark scheme is a bit intimidating; it's harder to get the top grades so students are going to be more competitive. However, I know we will smash it. I believe in everyone on this thread. :awesome:

As for I.C.T...some WJEC subjects (History and Geography, for example) offer different routes. Both routes have different specifications. I'm Spec/Route B for Geography, History and I.C.T. Route A has a different specification to Route B. I'm a bit crap at explaining things so I apologise if that doesn't make any sense.

My school is slightly different to yours. We did Unit 1: Understanding I.C.T (theory) and the Unit 2 coursework in Year 10. We did the Unit 2 coursework first and started on the Unit 1 stuff in March. I sat the Unit 1 paper in May and got an A overall for Year 10. So happy! :biggrin:

This year, we'll be completing the coursework for Unit 4 first and starting on the theory for Unit 3; the same way we did it in Year 10. As you've just started the theory, I'd like to wish you luck for both of your I.C.T papers this year. You'll ace them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey I'm jayda.
My hobbies are playing piano and singing.
My GCSEs are:
English
Maths
Triple science( chemistry, biology and physics)
Music
Psychology
Spanish
History
My Maths and English exam board is AQA and my science exam board is Edexcel.
I am really enjoying year 11 but due to the new GCSEs it's so hard to know what to do, we're all just kinda making it up as we go along because there's no practice papers yet so we're revising the old spec.
My favourite subject is History(hate my teacher though)
I really want to be a lawyer in America but if Trump is president then no way....
So right now I would rather be an investment banker or something along those lines.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by patriciaanne
(I do aqa Spanish, aqa geography, aqa English lit and Lang, edexcel maths, ocr triple science and edexcel Religious education)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just finished my RS last year, I got an A*!! I could help you revise???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 508
Can someone PM me whoever did AQA english?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jay_labelle
I just finished my RS last year, I got an A*!! I could help you revise???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey!
Congrats on your A*.:smile:

Can you give me like advice on how to revise for rs? What did you do and have you got any like resources?
Original post by z_o_e
Can someone PM me whoever did AQA english?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I do AQA English
Reply 511
English Language is okay for me I suppose, but English Literature is slightly daunting at the moment. I totally understand your comment about the exam environment; though I've never really felt like that in an exam, I know that pressure can sometimes get the better of us. The new mark scheme is a bit intimidating; it's harder to get the top grades so students are going to be more competitive. However, I know we will smash it. I believe in everyone on this thread. :awesome:

As for I.C.T...some WJEC subjects (History and Geography, for example) offer different routes. Both routes have different specifications. I'm Spec/Route B for Geography, History and I.C.T. Route A has a different specification to Route B. I'm a bit crap at explaining things so I apologise if that doesn't make any sense.

My school is slightly different to yours. We did Unit 1: Understanding I.C.T (theory) and the Unit 2 coursework in Year 10. We did the Unit 2 coursework first and started on the Unit 1 stuff in March. I sat the Unit 1 paper in May and got an A overall for Year 10. So happy! :biggrin:

This year, we'll be completing the coursework for Unit 4 first and starting on the theory for Unit 3; the same way we did it in Year 10. As you've just started the theory, I'd like to wish you luck for both of your I.C.T papers this year. You'll ace them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unseen poetry sounds awful, but we haven't had a go at it yet at school. :s-smilie: Here's to hoping.
That makes sense, but I'd have no idea which route I'm on. I'll have to ask my teacher next lesson - had a look on the WJEC website, but didn't see anything on ICT routes.
Well done on your A!!! Sort of wish we'd have done it like you. We're still waiting for our coursework grades, but should get them in the next few weeks. :h:
Hi, I'm Pearl! I like writing, reading and listening to music. I'm taking ten GCSEs as follows:
English language and literature (AQA)
Maths (Edexcel)
Biology (OCR)
Chemistry (OCR)
Physics (AQA)
History (AQA)
French (AQA)
Spanish (AQA)
RS (OCR)
I'm not ready for year 11 at all since I still only feel about 11 years old!! I'm worried for the new GCSEs since I struggle enough with maths as it is so the new 'harder' GCSE isn't exactly going to work in my favour. As for English, I'm concerned about not having the texts in front of us during the exams since I don't know how I'm going to remember all those quotations alongside all the other revision I'll have to do. I guess my favourite subject would be history although I also like languages, English is ok too but the analysis can get pretty boring. I have absolutely no idea what my dream career would be! (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find English language much more daunting than English lit. I actually find lit alright , but the sheer amount of content that we need to know by heart is ridiculous! How do you revise for English language?
What marks is everyone getting in the Maths papers? And how do you guys revise for it?
Original post by patriciaanne

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do AQA Spanish, English lit and lang then Edexcel maths and r.e if we ever had any questions for each other, plus I'm try to be as motivated as possible but I always get side tracked 😂😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pearlgrey
Hi, I'm Pearl! I like writing, reading and listening to music. I'm taking ten GCSEs as follows:
English language and literature (AQA)
Maths (Edexcel)
Biology (OCR)
Chemistry (OCR)
Physics (AQA)
History (AQA)
French (AQA)
Spanish (AQA)
RS (OCR)
I'm not ready for year 11 at all since I still only feel about 11 years old!! I'm worried for the new GCSEs since I struggle enough with maths as it is so the new 'harder' GCSE isn't exactly going to work in my favour. As for English, I'm concerned about not having the texts in front of us during the exams since I don't know how I'm going to remember all those quotations alongside all the other revision I'll have to do. I guess my favourite subject would be history although I also like languages, English is ok too but the analysis can get pretty boring. I have absolutely no idea what my dream career would be! (:

Try not to stress as much, so do things like planning your days and just being organised (includes time management) because everything is gonna be x10 harder if you're stressed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beanzz
Unseen poetry sounds awful, but we haven't had a go at it yet at school. :s-smilie: Here's to hoping.
That makes sense, but I'd have no idea which route I'm on. I'll have to ask my teacher next lesson - had a look on the WJEC website, but didn't see anything on ICT routes.
Well done on your A!!! Sort of wish we'd have done it like you. We're still waiting for our coursework grades, but should get them in the next few weeks. :h:

Unseen poetry isn't that bad really. It's just not up my street. I'm the opposite to you, really. I enjoy creative writing and stuff like that.

I'm sure you did really well in your coursework. We kept getting updates on our current grades as we were completing the coursework unit, and we had our final grades straight after we finished the coursework; I assumed other schools did the same. I had an A* in mine, and I'm not even a straight-A student. I'm predicted to get all C's, but i'm aiming for A's and B's. I think that's a pretty realistic goal. Thank you by the way. Good luck to you! I know you'll ace that coursework. :smile:

I've never really checked on the WJEC website for information on stuff like routes. My teachers didn't tell us we were on different routes either, though my Geography teacher pointed out we were on Specification B. That was at the beginning of Year 10, though, so I didn't know what Spec B meant.

I only know I'm on Route B because it said so on my Results Sheet.

Good luck for all your exams this year. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, I know you are all focused on your GCSEs, but work experience is also quite important for university and CVs etc. I was wondering whether anyone here has done any for medical related things? Does anyone know where I could inquire about medical work experience in year 11?
Original post by PatriciaLapitan
Hey guys, I know you are all focused on your GCSEs, but work experience is also quite important for university and CVs etc. I was wondering whether anyone here has done any for medical related things? Does anyone know where I could inquire about medical work experience in year 11?

Medical work experience is not easy to get if you're under 16. You could look into volunteering at a care home or charity shop for the time being, however.

Latest