The Student Room Group

Extra A Level during gap year before Medicine?

Hello guys,
so I have already achieved my A level grades this August and i have ABBb for biology, chemistry, physics and AS maths. Obviously I will be applying for the foundation/widening access/gateway to medicine courses and i fully meet their entry criteria.
Now my question is I want to study an extra A level during my gap year as i want to have some sort of education and traveling isn't an option for me due to lack of funds, and was wondering if A) I can apply to these courses without being counted as a resit student, and B) if i do get an offer will it be conditional upon the grade i achieve or be unconditional as i would have already achieved my grades in bio/chem/physics/maths.
I want to apply to Nottingham, Southampton, Bristol and Kings/UEA.
Thanks
ABB wont get you into Med School for a 5 year course. Most Med Schools wont accept anyone doing resits or doing 'extra A levels' that mean you are doing anything other than the standard 3 A levels in a first sitting.

Yes, you can look at Medicine Foundation courses but these are highly competitive/small intake - you do the retake and not get one interview or offer, what would you do then? There are other options - Bristol will be accepting resits for Medicine from this year, or there are plenty of Medical Science courses with ABB requirements (remember, Doctors don't win Nobel Prizes, Medical Scientists do).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
ABB wont get you into Med School for a 5 year course. Most Med Schools wont accept anyone doing resits or doing 'extra A levels' that mean you are doing anything other than the standard 3 A levels in a first sitting.

Yes, you can look at Medicine Foundation courses but these are highly competitive/small intake - you do the retake and not get one interview or offer, what would you do then? There are other options - Bristol will be accepting resits for Medicine from this year, or there are plenty of Medical Science courses with ABB requirements (remember, Doctors don't win Nobel Prizes, Medical Scientists do).

I wont be retaking anything for starters, it would just be an extra a level, not a subject i have previously studied.
Moreover i know its competitive, but people still get in and i think this is the best pathway for me, i am aware that its risky but its much easier than doing grad medicine.
and would i not be considered even though i have my 3 A levels in one sitting already?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3

I think you misunderstood what the OP is saying. The OP is saying they intend to go into a foundation course anyway, as they meet the criteria, and therefor ABB will meet the minimum.

The OP is also saying the extra A level is just something to do during their gap year, not as a resit.

To the OP:
A) Yes, if you cash in (the school does this) your A2 grades, those are the ones your offer will be for. This is the case as most med schools only look at your grades you achieved in the first two year sitting of your alevels. For you, this is your ABB. Also, most med schools don't accept re-sitters, especially the ones you listed, so they most likely wont look at the A level you did in your gap year.

B) Your offer will be unconditional as you already have cashed in A level grades that meet the minimum requirement, and there is "no condition" for you to meet. Just remember you still have to sit the UKCAT and meet the minimum threashold and also you need to do well at interview!

Good luck OP! Please email all the med schools in advanced saying these are my grades, I want to take a gap year, but in that gap year I want to do another a level for fun, and I dont want this to count towards meeting the conditions for my offer, if I was to get one. That way, if there are any problems, you have a record! :smile: Enjoy your gap year!
Reply 4
Original post by soLit
I think you misunderstood what the OP is saying. The OP is saying they intend to go into a foundation course anyway, as they meet the criteria, and therefor ABB will meet the minimum.

The OP is also saying the extra A level is just something to do during their gap year, not as a resit.

To the OP:
A) Yes, if you cash in (the school does this) your A2 grades, those are the ones your offer will be for. This is the case as most med schools only look at your grades you achieved in the first two year sitting of your alevels. For you, this is your ABB. Also, most med schools don't accept re-sitters, especially the ones you listed, so they most likely wont look at the A level you did in your gap year.

B) Your offer will be unconditional as you already have cashed in A level grades that meet the minimum requirement, and there is "no condition" for you to meet. Just remember you still have to sit the UKCAT and meet the minimum threashold and also you need to do well at interview!

Good luck OP! Please email all the med schools in advanced saying these are my grades, I want to take a gap year, but in that gap year I want to do another a level for fun, and I dont want this to count towards meeting the conditions for my offer, if I was to get one. That way, if there are any problems, you have a record! :smile: Enjoy your gap year!

Thanks so much for replying, i have already emailed the universities and Bristol has said it wont affect my applications as i have already achieved my grades, Kings said only scenario that would allow three years is for people who did the wrong a levels first but i emailed them to get more information so will see how it goes. Waiting on the others.
Reply 5
Original post by Delvine
Thanks so much for replying, i have already emailed the universities and Bristol has said it wont affect my applications as i have already achieved my grades, Kings said only scenario that would allow three years is for people who did the wrong a levels first but i emailed them to get more information so will see how it goes. Waiting on the others.

I expect the others to be exactly the same. I think you will be fine then! So apply, and good luck :smile: I am going to Bristol for med in a few days, so I can give you a few tips on your personal statement and interviews if you PM me :smile:

Good luck with your application!
Reply 6
Original post by soLit
I expect the others to be exactly the same. I think you will be fine then! So apply, and good luck :smile: I am going to Bristol for med in a few days, so I can give you a few tips on your personal statement and interviews if you PM me :smile:

Good luck with your application!

OMG thank you! :wink:
Original post by soLit

In which case a better option would be an Open University module - this would get you studying/thinking at a higher level, look far more impressive on a Foundation course application, and add more to your eventual CV than doing another A level - http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules - Psychology, Maths for Science, or a language course?
Reply 8
In which case a better option would be an Open University module - this would get you studying/thinking at a higher level, look far more impressive on a Foundation course application, and add more to your eventual CV than doing another A level - http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules - Psychology, Maths for Science, or a language course?

One of the criteria for the foundation courses is to not have done any qualifications at higher level :frown:
Thank you for the suggestion though. XD
Reply 9
Original post by Delvine
One of the criteria for the foundation courses is to not have done any qualifications at higher level :frown:
Thank you for the suggestion though. XD

This is what happens when some people reply to threads with little research.
Doing the extra a level will be fine. It'll be a way for you to demonstrate what you used your gap year to do and that you used it well. What subject are you looking to do? Potentially avoid bio or chem as that could change your eligibility for a foundation course. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by mliela
This is what happens when some people reply to threads with little research.
Doing the extra a level will be fine. It'll be a way for you to demonstrate what you used your gap year to do and that you used it well. What subject are you looking to do? Potentially avoid bio or chem as that could change your eligibility for a foundation course. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was planning on doing ART a level so i will be doing the AS and A2 together basically :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Delvine
I was planning on doing ART a level so i will be doing the AS and A2 together basically :smile:

You'll probably enjoy that. Sounds good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply