The Student Room Group

Tips for getting all my English lit required reading done???

Hey, I got a (very unexpected but VERY welcome) A grade in English lit & lang combined AS, which I was over the moon with, as you can imagine. I love English and I'm passionate about taking it further.

However this year, we have to read 2 set texts (King Lear & Great Expectations) as well as 2 texts for a given theme (Dystopia: 1984 & Never Let Me Go) as well as any others we can read to flesh out the coursework. I've only been used to having 2 set texts a year since year 10! I really want to go for that A* this year, but I honestly find it so hard to get all the reading done, it's like I can't switch my brain off and just READ. I struggled with this for AS and didn't actually finish reading the books until around 3 weeks before the literature exam. I really don't want to go into any exams or coursework without having read all the books.

Any tips on how to balance reading and the rest of my A Levels? :smile:
Original post by Cari98
Hey, I got a (very unexpected but VERY welcome) A grade in English lit & lang combined AS, which I was over the moon with, as you can imagine. I love English and I'm passionate about taking it further.

However this year, we have to read 2 set texts (King Lear & Great Expectations) as well as 2 texts for a given theme (Dystopia: 1984 & Never Let Me Go) as well as any others we can read to flesh out the coursework. I've only been used to having 2 set texts a year since year 10! I really want to go for that A* this year, but I honestly find it so hard to get all the reading done, it's like I can't switch my brain off and just READ. I struggled with this for AS and didn't actually finish reading the books until around 3 weeks before the literature exam. I really don't want to go into any exams or coursework without having read all the books.

Any tips on how to balance reading and the rest of my A Levels? :smile:

One simple advice love: pick up the pace! No other way around it unfortunately.

Make sure you're spending your time very wisely. In your frees, if you have too much of a workload, split it - i.e 30 mins reading and 30 mins on your other subject. I'm guessing now that you're in A2 you're studying 3 subject which means you will have more time if you had to drop a subject at the end of year 12?

Read everyday, like I mean everyday. Even if it's on the bus going to school, if it's on the toilet in the morning, if it's in form time in the morning. Just make sure you can read whenever you get the chance. If you could go bed early and read for a couple of hours. You'll get used to it. I've been doing it for years and tbh I can never stay awake after 3 mins of reading in bed, I just can't! But some can last hours and hours. Have you tried this before?

Make sure you're reading over the half-term. You should have read your coursework texts over summer, no? It would have made a lot more sense to do this. But as I said, read over the holidays.

Failing or that, at least just say to yourself "If I read one chapter of this a day and one chapter of that a day" you won't be that bogged down rather than reading one text in clunks then picking up the other. GE is a big novel, so good luck with that - I love it!
Reply 2
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
One simple advice love: pick up the pace! No other way around it unfortunately.

Make sure you're spending your time very wisely. In your frees, if you have too much of a workload, split it - i.e 30 mins reading and 30 mins on your other subject. I'm guessing now that you're in A2 you're studying 3 subject which means you will have more time if you had to drop a subject at the end of year 12?

Read everyday, like I mean everyday. Even if it's on the bus going to school, if it's on the toilet in the morning, if it's in form time in the morning. Just make sure you can read whenever you get the chance. If you could go bed early and read for a couple of hours. You'll get used to it. I've been doing it for years and tbh I can never stay awake after 3 mins of reading in bed, I just can't! But some can last hours and hours. Have you tried this before?

Make sure you're reading over the half-term. You should have read your coursework texts over summer, no? It would have made a lot more sense to do this. But as I said, read over the holidays.

Failing or that, at least just say to yourself "If I read one chapter of this a day and one chapter of that a day" you won't be that bogged down rather than reading one text in clunks then picking up the other. GE is a big novel, so good luck with that - I love it!

Thanks for replying:smile: So I had my first english lesson of the year yesterday, and I've figured out a sort of 'reading schedule', which should help me a lot.

I've got 2 novels and a play to read in the next few weeks, and another novel to read after half term...I've been taking your advice, and carrying my books wherever I go, and reading them whenever I can:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest