The Student Room Group

Protostar's Path to Perfection!

5/9/2016 - Afternoon update

Hello and welcome to my blog!

Hey guys! I'm Niamh and tomorrow I start at sixth form to begin working towards my A Levels. I'll be studying Maths, Further Maths and Physics, and I'll also be doing the EPQ (although I'm not sure what to do it on yet!). This will be used as a study blog to guide me through my A Levels, and hopefully provide me with some good study habits - which I lacked during my GCSEs let me tell you!

I made a GCSE GYG blog back in February, which can be found here :h:

If anyone is interested, my GCSE results are as follows:

Spoiler

I will be updating daily (hopefully), documenting my progress for you all to see. This blog will run throughout both Year 12 and Year 13, so will include my AS exams at the end of Year 12, and my A2 and A Level exams at the end of Year 13 :smile:

Tagging those who helped me through my GCSE journey:

Spoiler

Am I ready? Probably not, but lets kick off this blog in style!

:party::party::party::party::party::party:

*UPDATE: MOCK RESULTS JANUARY 2017*

Spoiler

*UPDATE: INTERIM REPORT JANUARY 2017*
These are graded as normal (A-U) with a number after. 1 means top of that grade, 2 means middle of that grade and 3 means bottom of that grade. The "Independent Learner" scale is a measure of your attitude to work. Independent Learner Plus (5) is the best, and Potential For Progress (1) is the worst.
My Report:

Spoiler

*UPDATE: INTERIM REPORT APRIL 2017*
These are graded as normal (A-U) with a number after. 1 means top of that grade, 2 means middle of that grade and 3 means bottom of that grade. The "Independent Learner" scale is a measure of your attitude to work. Independent Learner Plus (5) is the best, and Potential For Progress (1) is the worst.
My Report:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NiamhM1801
Hey guys! I'm Niamh and tomorrow I start at sixth form to begin working towards my A Levels. I'll be studying Maths, Further Maths and Physics, and I'll also be doing the EPQ (although I'm not sure what to do it on yet!). This will be used as a study blog to guide me through my A Levels, and hopefully provide me with some good study habits - which I lacked during my GCSEs let me tell you!

I made a GCSE GYG blog back in February, which can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897617

Spoiler

I will be updating daily (hopefully), documenting my progress for you all to see. This blog will run throughout both Year 12 and Year 13, so will include my AS exams at the end of Year 12, and my A2 and A Level exams at the end of Year 13 :smile:

@brainzistheword @nisha.sri @?Hannah @surina16 @SophFlorence @MR.ANONYMOUS 786 @mypetpikachu @Ben.M @johnatschool @sahra30013 and anyone else who's supported me along the way :smile:

Good GCSE results and I'm sure you'll do well at A level!!

Good luck :smile:
Original post by ApplyYourself
Good GCSE results and I'm sure you'll do well at A level!!

Good luck :smile:

Thank you! :h:

I made a GCSE GYG blog back in February, which can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897617

Spoiler

@brainzistheword @nisha.sri @?Hannah @surina16 @SophFlorence @MR.ANONYMOUS 786 @mypetpikachu @Ben.M @johnatschool @sahra30013 and anyone else who's supported me along the way :smile:

Yay - it was only a matter of time before you joined in too (everyone seems to have made one :P)

The best of luck and I'll keep checking back for updates :smile: Enjoy college.
Original post by brainzistheword
Yay - it was only a matter of time before you joined in too (everyone seems to have made one :P)

The best of luck and I'll keep checking back for updates :smile: Enjoy college.

I know - I saw loads last night so I thought it was about time I made mine :tongue:

Thank you, and I hope I do! :h:
I know - I saw loads last night so I thought it was about time I made mine :tongue:

Thank you, and I hope I do! :h:

Yes, there's been a sudden influx since GYG ended. It's great to see.

And you're welcome :smile:

Spoiler

Hooray you've made one !! Good luck Niamh and i will be watching this. X
Original post by nisha.sri
Hooray you've made one !! Good luck Niamh and i will be watching this. X

Thanks Nisha! :h:

Spoiler

@brainzistheword @nisha.sri @?Hannah @surina16 @SophFlorence @MR.ANONYMOUS 786 @mypetpikachu @Ben.M @johnatschool @sahra30013 @lilacpotato and anyone else who's supported me along the way :smile:

Good luck, I know you'll do great! :smile:
Reply 9
yey, you have a study blog now as well! i can't wait to keep on following and to see what you have been up to!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, if it helps your motivation, Ill be here to monitor the thread sis.

Are there any other things you want to achieve beside good A levels? Year 12-13 is a massive time for growth, and it changed me greatly. Maybe learn to code? Sing? Start a successful charity? Build your own yacht? :smile:
Really good luck, it's great that you're starting early! I'd love to be as proactive as you! Now I have to start thinking of a blog soon too!!
Original post by lilacpotato
Good luck, I know you'll do great! :smile:

Thank you! :h:

Original post by ?Hannah
yey, you have a study blog now as well! i can't wait to keep on following and to see what you have been up to!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, about time! Ooh thank you, I'll try and keep it interesting :wink:

Original post by LibertyMan
Well, if it helps your motivation, Ill be here to monitor the thread sis.

Are there any other things you want to achieve beside good A levels? Year 12-13 is a massive time for growth, and it changed me greatly. Maybe learn to code? Sing? Start a successful charity? Build your own yacht? :smile:

Thanks bro? And yeah definitely, I'm just not sure exactly what yet. Community work sounds good, but whether or not I end up doing something is a different story :s-smilie:

Original post by johnatschool
Really good luck, it's great that you're starting early! I'd love to be as proactive as you! Now I have to start thinking of a blog soon too!!

Thank you! Yup, I started early basically to avoid everything I did this year! Haha, that won't take much work :redface:! Go for it - i really enjoyed your other one!
6/9/2016 - Afternoon update

Today was my first day at sixth form, but I had no lessons - just admin-type stuff like getting my timetable and filling out forms. It wasn't too bad, but they really weren't selling it to us with multiple teachers saying that they found their A Levels harder than their degree etc.! I'm not liking how I've been set work to do already, and I'm not liking the fact that it has nothing to do with any of my subjects at all! One thing I've got to do before Thursday is write a letter to my "future self" to be opened during Year 13 leavers assembly. I've got no idea what to write in it, but I'll come up with something. I've also got to make a presentation (ughhhh) about how the education system doesn't prepare people for the modern world or something stupid like that.

Annoyingly, I have to go back tomorrow when very few other people do. Because my sixth form is partnered with that of another school, those who are taking courses at that other school have to go for the induction and tour of the building - how exciting :colonhash:.

Proper lessons for me start on Thursday, when I've got double maths, physics, timetabled study and a free. I've got loads and loads of double lessons, as well as loads of timetabled study periods and frees (as I'm only taking 3 subjects :h:). Looking forward to getting out of the induction phase and actually doing something though!
7/09/2016 (ish) - Night update

Just a short one today as again not a lot to talk about!

Today I had my induction at the partner school. It's absolutely massive compared to mine, and I have a feeling I'm going to spend the first few weeks incredibly lost there! Although I sort of understand how everything is arranged so hopefully it won't take that much getting used to. Annoyingly they didn't give us our classrooms for our lessons there, so tomorrow's going to involve a bit of trial and error to get to my physics lesson! I'm also finally going back to the gym tomorrow after 4 months of not going :colondollar: so there's that to look forward to as well. Tomorrow should be a pretty decent day! :h:
8/09/2016 - Night update

I had my first lessons today at long last - woo! Today actually went surprisingly well, there were some unexpected moments but nothing bad at all.

The day started off with double maths in which we basically just recapped the topic of indices from GCSE. It was all pretty basic stuff but it took that little bit longer to get through everything because we were all still quite groggy from having 10 weeks off! Despite being in the lesson for just under 2 hours, it really did feel quite short and it went pretty quickly too - it felt like the lesson was actually about an hour long! We got quite a bit done though which was good :smile:

I then had to head over to the partnership school for my physics lesson, which took a while to find in the first place! We eventually found the right classroom and got cracking with some work. I didn't like physics as much as maths today, because I felt that the teacher rushed things a bit (although I am quite slow at taking notes) and she also stopped us a lot when it wasn't always completely necessary. Regardless, the lesson (which we later discovered was a double rather than just a single one!) went pretty well and I learnt a fair bit, even though I know I'll definitely have to recap everything very soon as I didn't have enough time to scribble everything down so there's a lot just swimming around in my head...

Last lesson was a study period so I decided to get started on my maths homework/extra work or whatever it is. It was actually a really productive hour for me and I got a lot done, which was good practice :smile: I've still got a load of physics stuff to do but I've got 2 study periods and 2 frees tomorrow when I can get started on that. All in all I'd say today's been a success, and I hope that it continues like this! :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
8/09/2016 - Night update

I had my first lessons today at long last - woo! Today actually went surprisingly well, there were some unexpected moments but nothing bad at all.

The day started off with double maths in which we basically just recapped the topic of indices from GCSE. It was all pretty basic stuff but it took that little bit longer to get through everything because we were all still quite groggy from having 10 weeks off! Despite being in the lesson for just under 2 hours, it really did feel quite short and it went pretty quickly too - it felt like the lesson was actually about an hour long! We got quite a bit done though which was good :smile:

I then had to head over to the partnership school for my physics lesson, which took a while to find in the first place! We eventually found the right classroom and got cracking with some work. I didn't like physics as much as maths today, because I felt that the teacher rushed things a bit (although I am quite slow at taking notes) and she also stopped us a lot when it wasn't always completely necessary. Regardless, the lesson (which we later discovered was a double rather than just a single one!) went pretty well and I learnt a fair bit, even though I know I'll definitely have to recap everything very soon as I didn't have enough time to scribble everything down so there's a lot just swimming around in my head...

Last lesson was a study period so I decided to get started on my maths homework/extra work or whatever it is. It was actually a really productive hour for me and I got a lot done, which was good practice :smile: I've still got a load of physics stuff to do but I've got 2 study periods and 2 frees tomorrow when I can get started on that. All in all I'd say today's been a success, and I hope that it continues like this! :h:

Wow, sounds like you're having a great start! Keep it up! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
9/09/2016 - Evening update

Today I think I've finally got to grips with the workload that is involved in A Levels, as I've just realised how much we've already been set just 2 days in. I'm pretty on top of it all now though, so hopefully I'll be able to keep it up and not get behind :smile:

I've been very chilled out today, having had 2 study periods (where I did my physics homework and some more maths practice) and 2 frees (where I just chilled because I didn't really have much else to do that I hadn't done already). Last lesson I had further maths and our class is only 4 people big! It was good though, the teacher seems nice and the work wasn't too hard, despite my brain being still quite mushy from the holidays! We started D1 which I'm not too keen on at all, and the fact we're doing D2 this year as well is just brilliant 🙃

Got quite a bit of work to do this weekend, but it's all relatively easy stuff so no big deal. I'm also INCREDIBLY excited because tomorrow is NCS Graduation! :biggrin:
11/09/2016 - Evening update

Sorry I didn't update yesterday, but I didn't actually do anything related to school at all so there was no point.

Today I have:
-Further Maths homework: 3 D1 algorithms exam questions
-Maths: lots and lots of practice C1 indices questions
-Physics homework: 3 powerpoint slides of questions and recapping on reflection, refraction and diffraction of waves
-Some notes from my physics lessons written up in neat
-PowerPoint presentation made for the mentor thing

So I've done a fair bit today which was good :smile:
my friend niamh is super duper clever! :smile: xo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending