The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Taylor court accommodation

What's it really like?
Hello.

I lived in Taylor Court in my first year at Hull uni (in 2012). Well let me start off by saying that it's 100% better than the Lawns halls. The Lawns accommodation is not on campus and is quite far by bus. I once visited a friend who lived there and the accommodation reminded me of a prison lol.

As for Taylor Court.. I do not know if they have done any renovations in the meanwhile, however when I lived there it was a bit run down. Don't get me wrong, I liked my room, but it was definitely old. I really liked the fact that I had my own bathroom. The desks in the rooms are huge which is great. It is also great and an easy way to make friends as soon as you arrive. When I applied there was a Taylor Court Facebook group in which people posted their assigned house number and flats, so you could already kind of get an idea of who you would be living with before arriving. I'm guessing they have a group like that every year, you might want to join it. Practically in each house at taylor court there are 3 flats on 3 different floors, with 8 people living in each flat. The best part is that it is on campus. It took me 5-10mins to walk to classes which was great.

There is a cleaner that comes once a week. Which is needed as the kitchen is usually gross. She also comes and cleans your bathroom for you. Although I ended up telling her I would just clean it myself, as I am pretty sure she used the same cloth for everyones toilet which is gross. My toilet always looked dirtier after she had cleaned it. Also at times all the house cleaners would meet up in our kitchen at like 8am and have fun drinking tea and chatting. Which was not very nice to be woken up by.

Now to the cons of living there. First of all noise. From both your housemates and people outside. You can hear pretty much anything going on in your flat which can be frustrating when you are trying to sleep and your flatmates are coming home drunk at 3am. Or just playing music the whole night. The windows were very bad quality so A. Very cold air always got into my room and B. Seeing as Taylor Court is on campus, everyone who goes to and comes back from lectures passes by there and can be loud. But the worst is the fact that people pass by there between 10pm to 4am every Wednesday and Saturday to go to and from the University club. THAT was extremely frustrating. The windows do not block out the noise at all. Now I must also say that my window was facing the courtyard. However, my friends with windows on the other side of the building did not have such big issues with the people walking by and being loud. Don't think you can choose though so that kind of sucks. If possible maybe try to request a room not facing the Courtyard. Also, because I was on the ground floor I always had gross bugs coming into my room. :'(

I don't know whether you are an international student or not, but a lot of the people put in Taylor Court are. Most British people go to the Lawns. I personally liked the international exposure but it depends on you. You would probably be around a lot of Chinese a Cypriots. (there will also be others brits, however less than in the halls)

Having said all this, I think Taylor Court is a good place for your first year. If you don't mind the noise which is the worst part of it. However, it is also a major part of your experience at University especially in your first year. You just have to deal with it and suffer like everyone else lol. I think it's great being on campus in your first year, and I can definitely say the accommodation is safe.

In my second and third years I moved to "Ashcourt" which is an accommodation owned by "Accommodation Warehouse" and is the newest and best in my opinion (10min walk from the uni). I think the weekly price is cheaper than taylor court, however the contract is longer so it's a bit more expensive overall. I think it's too late for you now to apply for it, but definitely check it out as an option for next year! They have houses that can accommodate 1-9 people.

Also, right when I left uni I saw the uni is building a new student accommodation on campus. I don't know if this is already available or when it will be. I also have no idea how much it will cost. But that could also be an option for next year as it will probably be really nice. I wouldn't suggest moving into any of the houses around the uni area as they are pretty much all old and falling apart. Also they are not that safe, people often try to break into them.

ok I'm done now lol. I hope you have a good time at uni! And I hope I was able to help you a bit in understanding more about Taylor Court.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Just an added note, I don't and haven't lived on Taylor Court so I can't comment too much but the noise downside might have improved. They've recently just put in gates so that only people who live in Taylor Court can walk through it. It's slightly annoying to everyone else as cutting through Taylor Court made a good direct route into uni and now we need to go around but it should reduce noise for the people living there. You will obviously still have the noise from the other people in Taylor Court getting drunk but you won't have the rest of the Asylum crowd walking past.
hey i was under the impression that taylor courts were postgrad halls? is this not the case? Also as a postgrad i would like to be in a bit of a quieter environment. do u think that uni owned housing would be a better idea or is the noise levels the same regardless?
As already mentioned, they are now gates up in Taylor court which should reduce noise on Wednesday and Saturday nights. There have been a number of houses that have got renovated in recent years, the 2 44 week contract houses are now getting done each year. Overall I enjoyed the 2 years I stayed at Taylor Court however depending on how you get placed how social your flat is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hello I was just wondering if guests can stay over and for how long?
Original post by JDobson1995
As already mentioned, they are now gates up in Taylor court which should reduce noise on Wednesday and Saturday nights. There have been a number of houses that have got renovated in recent years, the 2 44 week contract houses are now getting done each year. Overall I enjoyed the 2 years I stayed at Taylor Court however depending on how you get placed how social your flat is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Marydc
Hello I was just wondering if guests can stay over and for how long?

You would be allowed guests over, however I'm not sure how it officially works, most people just bring them over as and when but I think you have to tell your Residential Assistant (I am one at another hall and this is for fire regulations). Sorry not to be much more help, as I've never had guests over myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest