The Student Room Group

Chinese airline warns passengers about London areas populated by Pakistanis & blacks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by Copperknickers
Firstly, tourist traps and Downton Abbey are not 'British culture', they are a loosely historically-themed fabrication dreamed up in a 1980s office block in Woking. And bravo to them, for convincing hopelessly naive foreigners to pay £20 for a baby-sized portion of ye Olde Englishe fish and chips in ye Olde English pub. The pub is probably about 20 years old and the food is most likely imported from America. Even the castles are mostly 19th Century military barrackses built on the site of demolished medieval castles: at least the crappy tourist trap ones which we advertise to foreigners are, locals know the real ones. And how is a black person identifying as an Englishman stopping you from enjoying castles and food anyway? They're probably cooking your fish and chips.

London isn't a British city any more, that much I freely admit (if it ever was, in fact). If you want to experience more traditional British culture then go to somewhere like Bristol or Newcastle. London ceased to be majority white British a while ago and has never really had much in common with the rest of the country, ever since it was founded as a Roman colony 2000 years ago and populated by everyone from Italians to Germans to Africans, then refounded by Viking invaders, and then refounded again by the Normans, and finally greatly expanded by varying waves of migrants from France, Flanders, Ireland, Eastern Europe, and many others.

London has a sideline in tourism but it's an Alpha++ city, second only to New York as a global capital in every area from finance to art to higher education. It was always cosmopolitan, being the capital of history's largest and most diverse empire, but now it's shed any pretence at Britishness.

So if you believed Britain to be some kind of homogeneous monoculture where everyone was a dapper Hugh Laughrie type sipping tea and playing croquet, I'm afraid that your ignorance is your own problem. Millions of people come to London each year to see the sights, indeed increasingly they go to the multicultural areas like Brixton and Tower Hamlets as well, so don't try to pretend that your personal prejudices are some kind of major blow to a city which recieves a larger number of tourists per year than most European countries' whole populations.

And for the record, I've never been to a city that didn't have beggars. Vancouver, San Fransisco, New York, Rome, Paris, Milan, all have huge homeless communities. In fact, the richer and more cosmopolitan the city, the more beggars there will be. It's the cities without beggars that are the desperate s***holes.

Haha so having beggars on streets is now "liberal, open minded and progresive"? Lol

Look m8. It is sad but again your problem. I think you wish to move the clock back in the 1950s and convince the politician to not open borders.
Original post by The_Opinion
What you said is simply not true, you are lying and trying to make out that London was never homogenous, when throughout the vast majority of history it was very homogenous, with only a tiny % being foreign. You are distorting reality, luckily our foreign friend will not fall for your mistruths.

London was certainly almost always more homogeneous than it is now, but I would not say only a 'tiny percent' were foreign.

'A large Irish population settled in London during the Victorian era, with many of the newcomers refugees from the Great Famine (1845-1849). At one point, Irish immigrants made up about 20% of London's population. London was at the same time home to a sizeable Jewish community, and small communities of Chinese and South Asians.'

Bearing in mind that Ireland was still majority Gaelic speaking until 1800, and most of those affected by the famine came from Gaeltacht areas. These areas were among the poorest and least developed parts of Europe, the polar opposite of recently industrialised Britain. The Irish were also Catholic in a country where Catholics still faced severe persecution, so it's not like the Irish fitted in seamlessly with the locals. They were viewed in much the same way that Pakistanis are today by UKIP voters, and indeed were literally viewed as a different race.

'They are Irish, all of them; Irish, every man, woman, and child. Turn whichever way you will, the same "wild, Milesian features, looking false ingenuity, restlessness, misery, and mockery, salute you" on every side. Glance down these narrow courts and filthy alleys that open upon you at every step, and again and again you recognise the race; ' - Watts Phillips, The Wild Tribes of London, 1855

And going back further, a survey in 1440 found around 20,000 'aliens' living in England. This accounted for about 1% of the population at the time: the same percentage as in 1991. There were 'high concentrations' of foreigners in the big cities such as London, Norwich and York.

http://www.historyextra.com/article/international-history/medieval-immigrants-moving-england-middle-ages

And finally, London was literally founded by foreigners and populated mainly by foreigners, at least for the first few years. Obviously many Britons moved in afterwards and most of the non-naturalised Roman community left after the fall of the Empire, but still, the symbolic value of the city being literally founded (in 3 separate incarnations over a period of 1000 years) as a domicile for foreigners rather puts paid to the idea of London being a quintessential British city which was ruined by evil interlopers. Indeed the original settlement was a Roman walled town in the Italian style. It would be comparable to building a mini-Manhattan in the middle of Somerset. The same is true of the Norman city: an English wooden medieval town, overlooked by a massive French-style stone fortress, at the time the only one in the country.

London is my native city and I'm as much a Londoner as anyone else, regardless of what I look like, and no foreigner is going to tell me otherwise. If a racist from Nowheresville has a problem with that, tough.

http://www.history.co.uk/study-topics/history-of-london/rise-and-fall-of-roman-london
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34809804
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 322
As the UK is not democratic and the Westminster lot know that the public would have rejected immigration. What is Hungary going to do when the public vote against the migrant quota and the EU forces them to accept them / hit Hungary with massive fines?

Well Brussels can do that than again it will be a bad publicity. It will just show the undemocratic face. Its elitism and so on. There is also the other Visegrad group states which will back Hungary and together veto the decision.

And even if Hungary is forced to paid. If that is the prise to not have muslim refugees than so be it. Hungary had a year ago its multiculti experiance when the refugees were attacking the police and the penalties are a good price to prevent it.
Original post by slaven
Well Brussels can do that than again it will be a bad publicity. It will just show the undemocratic face. Its elitism and so on. There is also the other Visegrad group states which will back Hungary and together veto the decision.

And even if Hungary is forced to paid. If that is the prise to not have muslim refugees than so be it. Hungary had a year ago its multiculti experiance when the refugees were attacking the police and the penalties are a good price to prevent it.

The Visegrad group is too few in members to do anything about it, what if the fines they start to impose begin to cripple Hungary financially, do you think that most Hungarians would rather leave the EU or accept the Muslims?
Reply 324
Original post by JamesN88
@slaven

We've got an opt out on some justice matters which includes the refugee quotas.

Ok. Than here is an example. What if the people of UK want a referendum on banning immigration from countries where terrorism comes and where is untolerance toward christians (also muslim countries).

Would the British elite allow you ever such referendum?

I think not because they care much more about their multi-kulti ideology than about the opinion of people.
Original post by slaven
Haha so having beggars on streets is now "liberal, open minded and progresive"? Lol

No, but beggars are in fact autonomous human beings with brains and the ability to move around. They go where the money is. Most beggars in London are not from London, they're from poorer English and Scottish cities, or from Southern and Eastern Europe, and have travelled to London because they know it is one of Europe's most prosperous cities and offers them better opportunities.

Look m8. It is sad but again your problem. I think you wish to move the clock back in the 1950s and convince the politician to not open borders.

Probably not, m9, since I would be preventing one of my parents from being born if I did.
Original post by slaven
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_dntfod-Cbo

When this first showed there was not a single outrage from the PC brigade. Yet when the chinese did the same the SJWes were in outrages. This only demonstrates how PC is strong in Europe.

The Chinese only saw this and said "hey since this is acceptable in Europe why not put our guy?"

That video has more dislikes than likes, clearly people are not happy with it. And how much do you know about how it was received in Italy?

That does not negate my point about China. It's well known that white skin is worshipped over there and dark skin is looked down upon, so none of what was said in the OP surprised me at all, even if that ad had never been created
Reply 327
The Visegrad group is too few in members to do anything about it, what if the fines they start to impose begin to cripple Hungary financially, do you think that most Hungarians would rather leave the EU or accept the Muslims?

To overrule a decision from the EU Comission I think it needs 6 votes in the European councils to veto it. Usually when more votes are needed a non-V4 is invated and negotiated. Last time on the V4 council Bulgaria was present and decided to back them.

Now, I am sure the option would be to leave the EU. I am sure to this scenario would not come and that the EU will had to end the refugee quota.
Despite Brussels being hated here a lot of EU funds is used. So that is the only reason why Hungary did not left. :biggrin:

We shall see how will this end. But I am positive about the outcome.
Original post by slaven
To overrule a decision from the EU Comission I think it needs 6 votes in the European councils to veto it. Usually when more votes are needed a non-V4 is invated and negotiated. Last time on the V4 council Bulgaria was present and decided to back them.

Now, I am sure the option would be to leave the EU. I am sure to this scenario would not come and that the EU will had to end the refugee quota.
Despite Brussels being hated here a lot of EU funds is used. So that is the only reason why Hungary did not left. :biggrin:

We shall see how will this end. But I am positive about the outcome.

You still didn't answer my question :tongue:
Seems sensible advice. Black chaps are often quite "to the point" in their manner and if Chinese fellows go into predominantly black areas they might be told in no uncertain terms that it is not acceptable to wee in the street, jump queues, smoke in restaurants or spit on the floor of the tesco extra.
Reply 330
Original post by WBZ144
That video has more dislikes than likes, clearly people are not happy with it. And how much do you know about how it was received in Italy?

That does not negate my point about China. It's well known that white skin is worshipped over there and dark skin is looked down upon, so none of what was said in the OP surprised me at all, even if that ad had never been created

I do not know how it was received in Italy as it is a very old commercial.

I think the Chinese were mocking your western PC attitude. Even if you are true about they value more white skin. So what?

I am sure it is not without reason.

Again, when the chinese version was launched it was on all western anglo-saxon media outleats. Yet the originall one is to this day still unknown. Do you understand why?
Reply 331
You still didn't answer my question :tongue:

Oh come on. Orban would not make the referendum if he had not a plan. :biggrin:

What is sure the hungarians will on 2nd of October revolt against the EU just like they did 56 against the Soviets. Only this time with a plebiscite and not with weapons.
Original post by usycool1
"Let's go to see white people!"

Seriously?

LOL
Original post by slaven
Well, that is how the majority of world including the better part of Europe see this. We are avare that not all whites in UK are not british but instead tend to ignore and assume they are. By blacks that is not possible.

This summer I almost laughed and hardly control myself when some black dude from London introduced himself and said he was Englishman.

being an englishman means you are from england.... If you are physically born in England then you are a british citizen, you are english. Im afraid you are just infact retarded
Original post by Copperknickers

It is offensive in British culture to assert that someone is 'not British' because they are non-white. Saying something offensive to someone based on their race is racism.

It may be racist (everything is nowadays, even climate change, so so what?) but it can also be true in some cases.

It isn't skin colour that is the determinant though (why are you guys so obsessed by pigmentation??) but culture. Your nationality is what you consider yourself to be and what others consider you as, not your place of birth.

Both Rudyard Kipling and George Orwell were born in India. Does anyone consider them Indian now? Did they during their lives? No, they were culturally British, famously so.

The Duke of Wellington was born in Ireland, but refused to be called Irish, only British. When challenged on this on account of his place of birth he famously replied "because a man is born in a stable it does not make him a horse".
People are conflating culture, ethnicity and citizenship.

In Japan, say, an immigrant is unlikely ever to be accepted as Japanese. It is part of the culture.

In Britain, we accept immigrants who are assimilated into the culture as British, no matter where they are from or what their ethnicity is. It is part of the culture.

It is possible for someone who has never been to a country to claim nationality, and even possible - famously in the case of the USA - for a country to claim a foreign national as one of its citizens and to impose income tax on him or her.
Like some choice contributors here the Chinese are more racial in their world view, and they don't particularly care about our attitudes to race either so good luck trying to change that, although it's pretty sad.
Original post by L'absurde

Because the people of Britain aren't Hindu. I'm not saying Hinduism is bad or anything. It's just not part of the British culture and identity.

Hmm...I don't see myself that way. But that is what Britishness is. Just as being muslim and black is part of being Somali.

Well, a fair portion of them are. And a massive proportion of them are athiest.
If you can't take cultures changing, and evolving with other influences, you are a regressive and provincial. All religions are part of the same human tendencies, as are cultures. I only reject influences like militant Islam, when they threaten fundamental, agreed values of liberty. Beyond that I reject mass immigration and political correctness and change being too quick, I support continuity. I have this in common with conservatives.

However people who want a a strict racial or religious identity, not to mention a language that doesn't change, are often provincial and narrow. We would still be speaking Shakespearean English if people like that got their way throughout history. Cultures are richer and evolve more through outside influences.
They can still retain fundamentals and identities, but these should be worldly big ideas and values, like with the US.

If you are confined to wanting to preserve Morris dancing and the like, and only a particular accent and religion etc, you are a bit in the inbred direction- cultures like this are invariably very dull and the mark of limited and timid nations.
Original post by cambio wechsel
Seems sensible advice. Black chaps are often quite "to the point" in their manner and if Chinese fellows go into predominantly black areas they might be told in no uncertain terms that it is not acceptable to wee in the street, jump queues, smoke in restaurants or spit on the floor of the tesco extra.

What? I knew about Chinese 'hawking'(though not about spitting). I didn't know any of the rest. But all pissed males wee in the street, away from view.
Original post by Good bloke
People are conflating culture, ethnicity and citizenship.

In Japan, say, an immigrant is unlikely ever to be accepted as Japanese. It is part of the culture.

In Britain, we accept immigrants who are assimilated into the culture as British, no matter where they are from or what their ethnicity is. It is part of the culture.

It is possible for someone who has never been to a country to claim nationality, and even possible - famously in the case of the USA - for a country to claim a foreign national as one of its citizens and to impose income tax on him or her.

Not the guy talking to me.,...he thinks a narrow religion and ethnicity define Britishness. I've noticed a lot of young people on here are getting extremely old and conservative in attitudes.

Quick Reply