The Student Room Group

Industry and talent will move to Scotland if Brexit happens.

Scotland will do everything it can to remain in the EU. There are already a lot of companies and people intent on relocating North of the border anticipating that Scotland will either succeed in a deal to remain in the EU or become independent of England to rejoin the EU.

Nonetheless a lot of industry, talent and intellectuals value the EU very much and they are prepared to re-locate to Scotland to enjoy the benefits of EU membership, free trade and liberalism. Many people may also head North due to the increase in racism and xenophobia since the Brexit victory. This could be a brain drain to England as people leave for the action. Scotland's economy will flourish all while England goes backwards.

It could result in a England being like post war East Germany where industry and droves of people flocked west to escape communism and soviet control, it resulted in a brain drain where thousands deserted the DDR like they will desert England post Brexit.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ambitious1999
Scotland will do everything it can to remain in the EU. There are already a lot of companies and people intent on relocating North of the border anticipating that Scotland will either succeed in a deal to remain in the EU or become independent of England to rejoin the EU.

Nonetheless a lot of industry, talent and intellectuals value the EU very much and they are prepared to re-locate to Scotland to enjoy the benefits of EU membership. This could be a brain drain to little England as people leave for the action. Scotland's economy will flourish all while England goes backwards.

It could result in a little England being like post war East Germany where industry and droves of people flocked west to escape communism and soviet control, it resulted in a brain drain where thousands desert the DDR like they will desert England post Brexit.

I seriously doubt it - any evidence for any of your claims?
(edited 7 years ago)
A lot of 'coulds' there. It's very very unlikely that Scotland will remain part of the EU, even if we were to become independent.
Google English move to Scotland
Scottish overwhelmingly voted to remain in the EU so they are fiercely pro EU and will fight tooth and nail to remain in the EU. Hopefully that will at least bring about a second refrendum or the permanent stalling of Brexit.

Remember Brexit victory was a tiny majority of 4%. Or 16 million remain 17 million Brexit.

May needs to ask herself is brexit really worth it?????
Scottish overwhelmingly voted to remain in the EU so they are fiercely pro EU and will fight tooth and nail to remain in the EU. Hopefully that will at least bring about a second refrendum or the permanent stalling of Brexit.

Remember Brexit victory was a tiny majority of 4%. Or 16 million remain 17 million Brexit.

63% of people in Scotland voted to remain. That is hardly overwhelmingly.

There is still a large 37% of scots who wanted to leave.
What you just said makes no sense at all. Scotland cant stay in the EU. Spain has already said it would veto scotland joining the EU. Why would business move north? Use a brain cell pls.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry to burst your bubble op but even if Scotland were independent the EU won't allow them to join that's not speculation but fact. Spain and Belgium will not vote for it because of domestic concerns of their own countries splitting up.

Then you have your huge budget deficit which doesn't meet euro requirements and you have to join the euro to join the European Union. Don't even start with the Greenland model that's been categorically ruled out too.

Lastly we then have the issue of Scotland finally having full sovereignty from the rest of the U.K. (Also not going to happen for at least a few decades)

They are going to align themselves with the eu who they trade with much less than the uk and give up their currency and large parts of the sovereignty they just gained.

Not going to happen it's so unlikely it's laughable to even talk about it.

Research it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by paul514
Sorry to burst your bubble op but even if Scotland were independent the EU won't allow them to join that's not speculation but fact. Spain and Belgium will not vote for it because of domestic concerns of their own countries splitting up.

Then you have your huge budget deficit which doesn't meet euro requirements and you have to join the euro to join the European Union. Don't even start with the Greenland model that's been categorically ruled out too.

Lastly we then have the issue of Scotland finally having full sovereignty from the rest of the U.K. (Also not going to happen for at least a few decades)

They are going to align themselves with the eu who they trade with much less than the uk and give up their currency and large parts of the sovereignty they just gained.

Not going to happen it's so unlikely it's laughable to even talk about it.

Research it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some former Yugoslavian states have joined the EU e.g. Croatia as has the Czech Republic so that sets the precedent for Scotland to separate from the UK and join the EU
Of course this all hangs on there still being an EU for Scotland to join in five or ten years time.😊
Hahaha. No way.
Original post by Maker
Some former Yugoslavian states have joined the EU e.g. Croatia as has the Czech Republic so that sets the precedent for Scotland to separate from the UK and join the EU

image.jpeg

Please don't tell me you said that. I know it's early but come on......

Nonetheless a lot of industry, talent and intellectuals value the EU very much and they are prepared to re-locate to Scotland to enjoy the benefits of EU membership, free trade and liberalism. Many people may also head North due to the increase in racism and xenophobia since the Brexit victory. This could be a brain drain to England as people leave for the action. Scotland's economy will flourish all while England goes backwards.

It could result in a England being like post war East Germany where industry and droves of people flocked west to escape communism and soviet control, it resulted in a brain drain where thousands deserted the DDR like they will desert England post Brexit.

I'm staying, what you talking about.
Original post by BobBobson
Use a brain cell pls.

Therein lies the problem.

And Sturgeon needs to ask herself if she should keep bashing that old dead horse when Scotland already rejected independence, and also recent polls have suggested Scotland would still reject it.

Kinda ironic the SNP love to mention tiny majorities even though they'd scream for independence if they won an indy vote by a handful of people.

They're blood & soil loony nationalists and I look forward to the party fading back into the obscurity it came from.

The burden of proof is on you.
Reply 16
Original post by KimKallstrom
image.jpeg

Please don't tell me you said that. I know it's early but come on......

I think you should leave the replies to the animals in your link.They are clearly more intelligent.
Build a wall and MAKE Scotland pay for it!!! :biggrin:
ok lol

So you're basing this entire inane thread on an article in the Mirror(The Daily Record is owned by the same people).

Using this same logic the North is also definately going to join Scotland in seceding from Westminster.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/could-the-north-of-england-break-away-and-become-part-of-a-new-scotland-10252821.html

I think I may have signed this petition myself for a laugh, can't remember tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending