The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Computing 2017 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys I'm looking to apply to imperial this year for Computer Science and Maths.

I do Maths, FM, Physics and Comp Sci.

Should I drop Physics or Comp Sci??
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by GarlicBread01
Hey guys I'm looking to apply to imperial this year for Computer Science and Maths.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/computing-department/mathematics-computer-science/ and look under entry requirements

according to that both physics and computing are in category 2 so I dont think it would matter too much, so long as you get A*A*A
Reply 62
Original post by GarlicBread01

OMG I am literally having this same exact problem. For the past two days I've been battling with this but I decided I'm going to drop computing tomorrow (I'm doing 4 A2s at the moment but don't think I can get the best grades across the board if I keep it up). Physics just gives more leeway in case you change your mind at all and you don't actually require any prior computing knowledge so I'd think an AS would be enough to show your interest, plus any outside projects or courses you may do in your own time. This is what I've convinced myself anyway lol. Hope that helps.

The only problem for me is that I initially took 4 subjects because I really don't want a step offer... Long story short, I switched subjects 4 months in (Spring term lol, late, I know!) last year from Chemistry to Further Maths. I ended up having to sacrifice my Physics grades to focus on FM because I did the AS this year, so I want to spend time making up the 'lost' knowledge from Physics. STEP on top of that would be a bit much for me...
Original post by Delma
OMG I am literally having this same exact problem. For the past two days I've been battling with this but I decided I'm going to drop computing tomorrow (I'm doing 4 A2s at the moment but don't think I can get the best grades across the board if I keep it up). Physics just gives more leeway in case you change your mind at all and you don't actually require any prior computing knowledge so I'd think an AS would be enough to show your interest, plus any outside projects or courses you may do in your own time. This is what I've convinced myself anyway lol. Hope that helps.

The only problem for me is that I initially took 4 subjects because I really don't want a step offer... Long story short, I switched subjects 4 months in (Spring term lol, late, I know!) last year from Chemistry to Further Maths. I ended up having to sacrifice my Physics grades to focus on FM because I did the AS this year, so I want to spend time making up the 'lost' knowledge from Physics. STEP on top of that would be a bit much for me...

Same, ive also decided to drop computing. It was a hard choice because I enjoy the subject but like you said physics is better incase I change my mind on the course I want.
Reply 64
Original post by TiernanW
Hey guys! :smile:

I just realized that there is no thread for the 2017 Computing applicants, but there is for the 2016 ones.

You don't have to do this bit, but the other thread had it:
Course: MEng Computing (Games, Vision and Interaction)
Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Software Systems Development @ A2 + Biology @ AS
Grades: AAAAA @ AS + 1A* 8A 1B @ GCSE + Dist* BTEC Level 2 IT. (Apparently GCSEs aren't really used in the decision making process though)
Predicted Grades: Don't know yet, but my goal is 4A* regardless.

So anyone concerns or important points?

Hi, I'm Denis and I'm also applying for computing.

Course: MEng Computing (Computational Management)
Subjects: As I'm an EU student from Bulgaria, I have an obligatory state maturity exam in Bulgarian and one more subject and for me that's English because I am in a English Language School. I will be taking the MAT test though.

Do you think you can apply for Computer Science and Maths at Oxford and Computing at Imperial without looking indecisive?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by denkata

Course: MEng Computing (Artificial Intelligence)
Subjects: As I'm an EU student from Bulgaria, I have an obligatory state maturity exam in Bulgarian and one more subject and for me that's English because I am in a English Language School. I will be taking the MAT test though.

Do you think you can apply for Computer Science and Maths at Oxford and Computing at Imperial without looking indecisive?

Yes you should be able to. Unlike some joint honours degrees (CompSci & Philosophy at Oxford??) Mathematics and Computer Science are closely related.
In fact, a lot of people apply to Computer Science without having done any prior programming, so their strengths lie mostly in maths. You should be fine :smile:
Original post by denkata

Course: MEng Computing (Artificial Intelligence)

Yes, no problem. The universities won't know which other courses or universities you've applied to. You need to think a bit about your personal statement: you will need to explain what you like about Maths for Oxford, while making it seem natural for Imperial. But I'm sure Imperial would look positively on you being keen on Maths, so that shouldn't be hard.

Gavin
Reply 67
Hey guys! :smile:

I just realized that there is no thread for the 2017 Computing applicants, but there is for the 2016 ones.

You don't have to do this bit, but the other thread had it:
Course: MEng Computing (Games, Vision and Interaction)
Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Software Systems Development @ A2 + Biology @ AS
Grades: AAAAA @ AS + 1A* 8A 1B @ GCSE + Dist* BTEC Level 2 IT. (Apparently GCSEs aren't really used in the decision making process though)
Predicted Grades: Don't know yet, but my goal is 4A* regardless.

So anyone concerns or important points?

Tiernan, you might want to change the title of this thread to include Imperial College, cause in last year's thread we got loads of confused people posting thinking it was the general Computing applicants thread for all unis.
Reply 68
Original post by zshn
Tiernan, you might want to change the title of this thread to include Imperial College, cause in last year's thread we got loads of confused people posting thinking it was the general Computing applicants thread for all unis.

Thanks for the advice!

Though, you'd think that if the bread crumbs have "Imperial College", people would know. :tongue:
Reply 69
Thanks for the advice!

Though, you'd think that if the bread crumbs have "Imperial College", people would know. :tongue:

Hahah that's what we thought but there were quite a few that still managed to get it wrong! Good luck with your applications guys.
Anybody applying to St Andrew's for computer science?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thecsstudent
Hi everyone, got accepted into Imperial computing and starting there in october so if anyone has any questions about applying, interviews etc. feel free to ask :smile: I personally messed up my interview quite badly and missed my offer but somehow got in so don't get too worried if things don't go as expected

Hey! Seen you around plenty (step prep thread and what not), I'm at Imperial too this year. I'm at Woodward, where are you? Glad you got in :biggrin:
Original post by ScottishFold
Anybody applying to St Andrew's for computer science?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I was thinking about it but I have no clue about how good it is.

Going to their OpenDay next week to have a look
Original post by ArafatQ
Hey, I was thinking about it but I have no clue about how good it is.

Going to their OpenDay next week to have a look

Please report back your impressions-
Original post by rohanpritchard
Hey! Seen you around plenty (step prep thread and what not), I'm at Imperial too this year. I'm at Woodward, where are you? Glad you got in :biggrin:

same here I think I remember you from the CSAT thread etc. too :smile: I'm also at woodward! (block b). Congrats on getting in as well!
Reply 75
Has anyone been invited to interview yet?
Reply 76
Original post by MrRoboto
Has anyone been invited to interview yet?

I haven't seen anyone that's been invited to interview for Computing yet. I seen one guy/gal got an interview for Physics on here, but that's all I've seen.
Reply 77
Original post by dfbenjamin
Just got invited to an interview for maths+ compsci!

I'm still waiting on an acknowledgement email and I sent my application off 6 days ago.
Reply 78
Original post by dfbenjamin
I sent my application of 3 weeks ago and only got the acknowledgement from imperial after about a week and a half so I wouldn't worry too much!

Ah that's alright then.

Thanks!
Reply 79
Original post by gavinlowe
Yes, no problem. The universities won't know which other courses or universities you've applied to. You need to think a bit about your personal statement: you will need to explain what you like about Maths for Oxford, while making it seem natural for Imperial. But I'm sure Imperial would look positively on you being keen on Maths, so that shouldn't be hard.

Gavin

Thanks! I have applied for Oxford with Maths and Computer Science and applied for Imperial with Computing but chose a MEng with Computational Management. Do you think it will be a problem I applied for that? I haven't really talked about management in my personal statement but as far as I know the first two years I can switch between the Computing courses as they are identical. I'm worried that this MEng choice might lower my chances of entry.

Quick Reply

Latest